****! Ear mites!

Old October 8th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Default ****! Ear mites!

Both of my freaking cats have ear mites!! They never go outside. All
I can figure is that my dog picked them up outside from the damn
neighbors' cats who roam in our yard. I am completely ****ed! THAT is
why I hate roaming cats.

Off to the vet on Monday...grrrrr!

-L.

Old October 8th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Both of my freaking cats have ear mites!! They never go outside. All
I can figure is that my dog picked them up outside from the damn
neighbors' cats who roam in our yard. I am completely ****ed! THAT is
why I hate roaming cats.

Off to the vet on Monday...grrrrr!

Aww, poor babies. How can you tell, can you see them?

Old October 8th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Both of my freaking cats have ear mites!! They never go outside. All
I can figure is that my dog picked them up outside from the damn
neighbors' cats who roam in our yard. I am completely ****ed! THAT is
why I hate roaming cats.

Off to the vet on Monday...grrrrr!

-L.

I had a cat years ago that had ear mites. Like yours, he was indoors-only.
I didn't have a dog, so I can only surmise that I carried them in on my
shoes. My warning was when I saw him scratching at his ears, and I could
see dark brown or black residue inside the ears. Fortunately, it was easily
cured and I never had a recurrence.

Good luck with yours!

MaryL

Old October 8th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

cybercat wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Both of my freaking cats have ear mites!! They never go outside. All
I can figure is that my dog picked them up outside from the damn
neighbors' cats who roam in our yard. I am completely ****ed! THAT is
why I hate roaming cats.

Off to the vet on Monday...grrrrr!

Aww, poor babies. How can you tell, can you see them?

Today I noticed spots of dry-ish brown "goop" by the bedding. I kept
thinking - what the heck is that? I picked it up, it didn't stink, so
I knew it wasn't poop or stuff from anal glands. Then it dawned on me
that it looked like earmite goop. I looked in Peewee's ears, and sure
enough - dark brown goopy. Then looked in Mimi's - hers are even
worse! Poor kitties. I am so sorry I didn't notice earlier. I
tried to get some Ivermectin from the feed store - no go, so I will
have to go to the vet Mon or Tues. Monday's a terrible day for me, so
I am hoping I can get in early Tues AM. The cats really need exams
anyway, so I guess it's a good thing, in a way.

-L.

Old October 8th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

MaryL wrote:

I had a cat years ago that had ear mites. Like yours, he was indoors-only.
I didn't have a dog, so I can only surmise that I carried them in on my
shoes. My warning was when I saw him scratching at his ears, and I could
see dark brown or black residue inside the ears. Fortunately, it was easily
cured and I never had a recurrence.

Good luck with yours!

MaryL

Thanks. I have had these cats 15 and 16 years and never once have they
gotten ear mites! I am *shocked*. Will report back with a vet report
after I get in.

-L.

Old October 8th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-L." wrote
Today I noticed spots of dry-ish brown "goop" by the bedding. I kept
thinking - what the heck is that? I picked it up, it didn't stink, so
I knew it wasn't poop or stuff from anal glands. Then it dawned on me
that it looked like earmite goop. I looked in Peewee's ears, and sure
enough - dark brown goopy.

I see! That's helpful information, I wondered what to look for. Last time
she was at the vet, they ruled out mites, however, the tech said "her ears
are
really dirty" and proceeded to dig out a few q-tips of browny-black stuff.
Ick.

?Then looked in Mimi's - hers are even
worse! Poor kitties. I am so sorry I didn't notice earlier. I
tried to get some Ivermectin from the feed store - no go, so I will
have to go to the vet Mon or Tues. Monday's a terrible day for me, so
I am hoping I can get in early Tues AM. The cats really need exams
anyway, so I guess it's a good thing, in a way.

Yeah, you'll feel better. But it is nice when you can treat the things
yourself,
since you have experience with it.

Boo needs her blood checked to make sure her thyroid levels are right, so
I need to go in soon too. (I hate taking her, she HOWLS piteously the
whole way, I get a pit in my stomach!) She is doing so great, but stays
ravenous.

Old October 8th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Ear mites? Compared to some of the other troubles cats can have, especially
as they get older, ear mites are a walk in the park. The vet will give you
medicine and then a couple months later you repeat it to get the mites that
hatch after the 1st treatment. Should be the end of it.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old October 8th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Are you sure it is mites? Does is look granular like coffee grounds?
Some ear infections take on the look of mites, but aren't. But, of
course, you know this?!

Old October 9th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"while we're on the ear goop question; I treat all of mine with revolution,
but the siamese (only the siamese, the domestic tabbies are fine) have brown
goopy ears...any idea why?? do siamese just have goopier ears than
domestics?

Old October 9th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

meeee wrote:
"while we're on the ear goop question; I treat all of mine with revolution,
but the siamese (only the siamese, the domestic tabbies are fine) have brown
goopy ears...any idea why?? do siamese just have goopier ears than
domestics?

Some cats, in general, produce more ear wax than others. I don't
believe it's breed-specific for the Siamese but it is for *some*
(most?) Persians.

-L.