Treatment for a Blockage

Old October 10th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

Default Treatment for a Blockage

Hi everyone. I have posted previously about my cat having a blockage and now
I have a couple of ques. regarding his diet and recovery. When I took my
little guy home from the emergency vet on Saturday, the vet there never
mentioned anything to me regarding a special diet, so, he has been eating his
normal food since yesterday when I went to my normal vet where I was given
S/D Diet food to dissolve any remaining struvite crystals. My question is,
could I have caused damage to my cat by feeding him his normal food for 2 1/2
days after his blockage? He is on the S/D diet now and he hates it! I am
going back to the vet after work where he is going to give me the C/D diet
but from what I have been reading on here, my cat should stay on the S/D diet
for a couple of weeks before switching to C/D?? Thanks guys! Also, how high
is the re-occurance rate of struvite crystals if he is kept on a strict diet?

Old October 10th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"MoMo via CatKB.com" u27647@uwe wrote in message news:678f94ff46a91@uwe...
[...]

I can't speak for all cats but my nieces' cat has had no recurrences of his
urinary tract problems as long as he stays on his Rx food. She found that he
can eat other food for maybe 2 days before he starts showing symptoms again.

Old October 10th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Hi,

Please read this article:
http://www.catinfo.org/#Common_Felin...ies_to_D iet_

My cat had crystals when he was about 1.5 (and I fed dry food only).
He's been on a canned or raw diet since and has had no problems (he's
8.5 now).

I'm not a fan of prescription foods. Many are barely palatable to cats
and if you read the ingredient list, it's scary what's in there.