Found out what's wrong with Ana

Old October 13th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Snittens

Default Found out what's wrong with Ana

Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section of
her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for a
few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she had
a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and caused
adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a much
better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.

Kelly

Old October 13th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"Snittens" wrote in message
Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section
of her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for
a few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she
had a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and
caused adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a
much better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.

Kelly

Happy thoughts

Purrs and prayers being sent at least you know now :-)

Old October 13th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"Phew' I know that's hard; surgery is no fun for anyone, but what a relief
it's not lymphoma!! Good luck with the surgery~!!

Old October 13th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Wow, that's a big surgery, but I'm glad they found out what's wrong and
can fix it! Is she having her entire colon removed?

You're right, that is much better than cancer or lots of other things.

She must have been throwing up when she got backed up. That's what
happened with Sweeter, they get enough in them and it's like poison in
their systems.

Sweeter will probably have diarrhea now the rest of her life but I'm
happy every time I see her in the litter box. It was stressful for all
of us before the surgery.

Hope everything goes well for her.

Take care,

Rhonda

Old October 13th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:57:35 -0400, Snittens wrote:

Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section of
her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for a
few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she had
a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and caused
adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a much
better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.

Kelly

Sending lots of purrs for
Ana's successful surgery. MLB
Old October 13th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Snittens wrote:
Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section of
her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for a
few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she had
a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and caused
adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a much
better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.

Kelly

Sheesh! That poor kitty has gone through hell. I am glad you have an
answer - hope she has a quick recovery.

-L.

Old October 13th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Wow, that's a big surgery, but I'm glad they found out what's wrong and
can fix it! Is she having her entire colon removed?

You're right, that is much better than cancer or lots of other things.

She must have been throwing up when she got backed up. That's what
happened with Sweeter, they get enough in them and it's like poison in
their systems.

Sweeter will probably have diarrhea now the rest of her life but I'm happy
every time I see her in the litter box. It was stressful for all of us
before the surgery.

Hope everything goes well for her.

Take care,

Rhonda

I wouldn't figure on permanent diarrhea yet. I've talked to a number of
people who's pets (cats and dogs) have had sections of their bowel and
intestines removed and they all say it takes a number of months for them to
recover and for the digestive tract to adjust. In many cases they do not end
up with permanent diarrhea.

What kind of food do they have you feeding her? When my foster, Molly, had
her intususseption removed (11" of Ileum) she had to be on strictly wet food
for the first 3-4 months or she had horrible diarrhea which was very
irritating to her bum. Then I was able to get her to eat Eucanuba Chicken
and Rice dry in addition to the wet (she always seemed hungry on the wet
only and wasn't gaining weight which she needed). She did really well on
that, put on the weight she needed and was adopted shortly afterwards.

Wendy

Old October 13th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Snittens

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Wow, that's a big surgery, but I'm glad they found out what's wrong and
can fix it! Is she having her entire colon removed?

No, just the section that's not working properly. I won't know how much was
removed until it's over. I hope it's not a whole lot, and she is back to
normal soon.

Kelly

Old October 13th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Wendy wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message

[...]

Sweeter actually had her entire colon removed, not just a section. She
had megacolon.

The colon is where the water normally would be removed and the feces
formed. The surgeon did tell me that once in awhile a cat who has their
colon removed will have stools that become more solid because their
small intestines learn to start taking over that function. That just
amazed me. They have no idea how they do it.

Actually, I found a good clumping litter and we're okay with whatever
happens. I'm just so glad she is still with us.

Sweeter is on a low residue diet, Eukanuba. She eats canned and I leave
dry out for her all of the time. The vet's 2nd choice after low residue
is high fiber, but she's doing okay on this. She gained a pound and is
just a little short of her starting weight. She is on a potassium
supplement since that was low, probably due to the diarrhea.

Rhonda