de-worming for cats

Old October 15th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
elizabethzotani

Default de-worming for cats

Hi to u all!
I really love pets and I’ve being interested in animal all my life !
I have 2 dogs : T-bone & Rex and a cat for the last 2 years who’s name is
Robert. lately Robert has been having worms, (is it possible that he got it
from the neighbor’s dog or other dogs and cats???)
I want to the vet and he gave me some de-worming pills for him. I tried to
crumble the tablet into his food but he notice it right away.
I tried wrapping it with some sausage but he refuse to swallow it .
I even tried using force but Robert kept scratching and twirling!!!
what can I do ??
Elizabeth

Old October 15th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

elizabethzotani wrote:
Hi to u all!
I really love pets and I've being interested in animal all my life !
I have 2 dogs : T-bone & Rex and a cat for the last 2 years who's name is
Robert. lately Robert has been having worms, (is it possible that he got it
from the neighbor's dog or other dogs and cats???)
I want to the vet and he gave me some de-worming pills for him. I tried to
crumble the tablet into his food but he notice it right away.
I tried wrapping it with some sausage but he refuse to swallow it .
I even tried using force but Robert kept scratching and twirling!!!
what can I do ??
Elizabeth

put him on the floor and get on top of him on your knees, with your
legs on either side and your feet crossed behind you so he can't back
away. Pry his mouth open, put the pill on the back of his tongue, then
hold his head up and gently stroke his throat until he swallows it.
Note that you are not putting your weight on him, just trapping him
underneath you. Speak to him in a gentle voice while you are doing all
of this and then give him a treat when you are done.

Old October 15th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Lynne wrote:
elizabethzotani wrote:
[...]

also, depending on the type of worms he has, you may need to de-worm
him again in 30 days (talk to your vet about this).

Old October 15th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Put the cat on a countertop - so he is on YOUR level. Don't get on the
floor - that is his level. Use one hand - to open his mouth with a
finger on each side. Use the other hand to put the pill deep into his
mouth and close his mouth and hold it closed until he swallows. I am
surprised the vet didn't show you how to pill your kitty.

Old October 15th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
guynoir

elizabethzotani wrote:
Hi to u all!
I really love pets and I've being interested in animal all my life !
I have 2 dogs : T-bone & Rex and a cat for the last 2 years who's name is
Robert. lately Robert has been having worms, (is it possible that he got it
from the neighbor's dog or other dogs and cats???)
I want to the vet and he gave me some de-worming pills for him. I tried to
crumble the tablet into his food but he notice it right away.
I tried wrapping it with some sausage but he refuse to swallow it .
I even tried using force but Robert kept scratching and twirling!!!
what can I do ??
Elizabeth

Try a pet piller available at Petmeds for $2.99.

Don't fight the cat, get the pill into him before he realizes he's in
trouble.

--
John Kimmel

Sometimes Pascal seemed to have had a bandage over his eyes.

Old October 15th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

how can you tell if your pet has worms? is it obvious in the poop?

Old October 16th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

On Oct 15, 6:29 pm, "kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote:
how can you tell if your pet has worms? is it obvious in the poop?

It depends on the type of worms. Roundworms can often be seen
squiggling around in fresh poo, they look like living spaghetti (and
yes, it's as creepy and disgusting as it sounds!). Tape worm can
sometimes be seen in the poo and look more like tiny grains of rice.
More often, you will see the pieces around the rectum. Hookworm cannot
be seen in the stool as far as I know. It's always a good idea to take
a stool sample in to the vet if you suspect parasites. I learned about
retreating the hard way... but it applies mostly to hookworm IIRC. My
cats are now on interceptor because worms make my Rudy throw up (and
they also freak me out).

Old October 16th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe wrote in message
how can you tell if your pet has worms? is it obvious in the poop?

I take a stool sample (it should be as "fresh" as possible!) with me for my
cats' routine medical examinations. Duffy has not had worms since I adopted
him and Holly has not had worms since shortly after her adoption 11 years
ago, but it is still a good idea to have it checked. Some worms can be
transferred by fleas, and it isn't always easy (or possible) to detect them
visually.

Here are some illustrations of different ways of medicating a cat (and I
would not recommend trying to place a cat "under" you, as Lynne suggested):
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pilling_a_cat.html
http://maxshouse.com/Medicating_Your_Cat.htm

MaryL

Old October 16th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

On Oct 15, 10:57 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

Here are some illustrations of different ways of medicating a cat (and I
would not recommend trying to place a cat "under" you, as Lynne suggested)

MaryL

why not? Just curious, as it has always worked for me with no
problems. Though at this point, Rudy (now 3, almost 4 years old) will
take a pill from me anywhere. I just plonk it on the back of his
tongue and hold his chin up while I stroke his throat. He was feral
when I brought him home, though, and psuedo-sitting-on-him was a very
effective method. Now that I think about it, though I wouldn't
recommend starting a kitten off this way. I just assumed it was a cat
since kittens are so easy to pill.

Old October 16th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

oups.com...
wrote:

Here are some illustrations of different ways of medicating a cat (and I
would not recommend trying to place a cat "under" you, as Lynne
suggested)

MaryL

why not? Just curious, as it has always worked for me with no
problems. Though at this point, Rudy (now 3, almost 4 years old) will
take a pill from me anywhere. I just plonk it on the back of his
tongue and hold his chin up while I stroke his throat. He was feral
when I brought him home, though, and psuedo-sitting-on-him was a very
effective method. Now that I think about it, though I wouldn't
recommend starting a kitten off this way. I just assumed it was a cat
since kittens are so easy to pill.

That position can seem very threatening/intimidating to a cat. It may also
cause your cat to strike out at you -- a protective mode to the cat,
possibly very painful to you.

MaryL

worming looby_lou Cat health & behaviour 2 August 1st 06 04:24 PM
cat worming question Pat Cat anecdotes 4 July 14th 06 01:28 PM
worming feral kitties [email protected] Cat rescue 1 October 22nd 05 10:55 AM
Worming pill only administered by vet? T. Early Cat health & behaviour 50 January 28th 04 03:12 PM
Worming pill & the vet follow up T. Early Cat health & behaviour 6 January 13th 04 06:42 PM