Not the introduction i expected....

Old October 18th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Leah

Default Not the introduction i expected....

I should probably start out with some background -
2 months ago I adopted a 3 year old male cat I named Otik from the
shelter. He was dropped off by owners, is fixed, and does have claws.
He is very shy and timid, but once he gets going he loves affection. It
just takes him awhile and if he thinks you are mad at him or if someone
new comes in, he runs. No one even knows I have him
He is perfect, but here is the problem. About 2 weeks ago a woman who
owns a farm near where I work was telling me about all the strays that
get dropped off on her property. She mentioned one, a declawed, young
(2-4 years old), spayed female, that caught my attention. I met her,
went home, thought about it, and decided to pick her up a few days ago.
She seemed very loving and a nonstop purrer, a good companion for Otik.
Well we got home, they looked at eachother, and it seemed ok. Otik ran
away, she explored. The problem came about 2 hours later. When Otik
tries to come get attention from me, she hisses and growls at him,
which makes him panic and run away. She does the same thing when he
wants to eat! She inhales her full days worth of food in 2 minutes,
then runs to his and eats it all!! He is an all day grazer, so this
pretty much means he doesnt eat unless i lock him away from her. Is
this going to get better, or did her many months on the farm fighting
for food and a place, added to her being declawed, make it impossible
for her to be in a 2-cat household?? Will she eventually get a normal
appetite, because she could eat an entire bag of cat food in a days
time, and still sit and stare at the bowl.....I just dont know if I
should keep trying and subject Otik to more aggression if its worth it
in the long run, or if its better for both if she goes back to the farm
or gets a new home.
Sorry for the length of the message, there was a lot on my mind!!

Old October 18th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Leah" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If you have the room to separate the cats for some time then you can see if
they will eventually be able to comfortably live together. Very few cats
will get along if they are just thrown together to begin with so your
experience is probably the norm rather than the exception.

http://www.fourpaws.org/pages/adopti...cing_cats.html

Old October 18th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

The other poster is right, let them get to know each other in smaller
doses. But I don't think the new one's behavior will change. I had
two like that and it was a constant battle for food and turf.

Old October 18th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Think of as it as a date you have to get to know one another before you get
the prize. Introducing a new member into household is a slow job you can't
throw them into he frying pan as you described you will get territorial
aggression

The eating sounds like a normal barn cat reaction. Won't say if it will
change. cats are cats they do what they want.

I have a fat cat that goes to all the dishes and eats the remains licks the
dishes clean. My Rumble is a all day eater so I have to feed him in little
bits so he will eat bad thing he is a diabetic kitty so close eye at all
times on him.

Patience is the key

ups.com...

Old October 19th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Leah

Perhaps i should clairify -
they are kept separately when i am not home, when i get home, the
bedroom door gets opened and they are free to explore eachother at
their leisure. Since the new gal doesnt really go under the bed, Otik
is safe if he wants to be, its just if he goes near her foodbowls or
tries to give her a sniff she goes kind of crazy. I was told to try a
squirt bottle to get her to keep to own food and leave his alone, just
a light squirt, no noise, to startle her just enough to make his food
unappealing. It seems to have worked, his bowl is sitting here full and
she is leaving it alone for the most part, and it only took maybe 5
squirts. I cant look at her without her running to her bowl thou. It
seems like they take 2 steps forward and then 1 step back, but its
looking a little better, i hope Im not jynxing myself by saying that.
Is there any medical reason she insists that she is starving every
second of every day even thou i am feeding her the recommended amount?
She seems to be a healthy weight, you can feel her shoulders but no
ribs, and she has a little gut. I think a lot of the issue would go
away if she would just calm down around food....
Thank you all for your help!

Old October 19th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Leah" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

She may be making up for lost time with her food! A couple of the cats that
I've rescued as semi-ferals still eat voraciously every chance they get.
They are definitely better than they were at the beginning but they're more
desperate about food than my others. As the other posters have said,
patience is the key.

Also spend some time alone with just your original cat--petting him, talking
to him, giving him attention without the pest bothering him!
It's a big adjustment for both cats.

Have fun! Bonnie