Automatic cat feeder for going on holiday

Old October 22nd 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Chris

Default Automatic cat feeder for going on holiday

Can anyone suggest an automatic cat feeder that would be suitable for
when going on holiday for a week?

We tried a cattery - but the cat hated it - wouldn't eat - and cried
pitifully when collected. He used to fend for himself before he adopted
us - and loves freedom.

We've been away for a couple of days and just left out a few bowls of
food.
But going away for a week would call for something more sophisticated.

We are in UK and so would need something that can be obtained there.

All ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.
--
Chris
Old October 22nd 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

No cat should be left alone for a week. A night or so is ok but you are
just asking for trouble by doing this. Either put the cat in a cattery or
find someone to come in every day feed, play with him and clean his litter
box.

Celeste

]...

Old October 22nd 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Your vet may be able to suggest someone to come in and care for your cat,
maybe one of the vet techs or helpers. That's how I got my pet sitter.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old October 23rd 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:31:48 GMT, Chris ] wrote:

Can anyone suggest an automatic cat feeder that would be suitable for
when going on holiday for a week?

We tried a cattery - but the cat hated it - wouldn't eat - and cried
pitifully when collected. He used to fend for himself before he

adopted
us - and loves freedom.

We've been away for a couple of days and just left out a few bowls of
food.
But going away for a week would call for something more sophisticated.

We are in UK and so would need something that can be obtained there.

All ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.

I like this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?
pcatid=14582&Ntt=feeder&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallp artial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0
&Nty=1

This company will ship to the UK, but they have special instructions
(basically you need to contact them first). I suspect it's not
inexpensive.

I use this because I'm lazy. Also because my older cat is on a diet and
I can program this for measured portions at specific times.

--
- Lynne
Old October 23rd 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dan Poirier

In article ,
Lynne wrote:

I like this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?
pcatid=14582&Ntt=feeder&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallp artial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0
&Nty=1

I saw a number of reviews of this style feeder on amazon that said their
pets learned to shake the feeder to make more food fall out. Apparently
it just has an auger that turns to dispense food, and nothing to stop
more food jiggling out around the auger. I take it yours haven't
figured this out?

I have this style:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...id=10283&N=200
2+113908 , which works great but only for a maximum of four days. I'd
certainly like to try the other, but my cat already goes and shakes the
feeder when it's getting to be time for his next meal; with the auger
feeder, he'd be eating all he wanted in no time.
Old October 23rd 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:46:16 GMT, Dan Poirier wrote:

I saw a number of reviews of this style feeder on amazon that said

their
pets learned to shake the feeder to make more food fall out.

Apparently
it just has an auger that turns to dispense food, and nothing to stop
more food jiggling out around the auger. I take it yours haven't
figured this out?

I'll be danged... I don't *think* he has figured this out. Yet? He was
already pretty well used to the feeding schedule and portion sizes before
I got it, though, so that may have something to do with it.

Now keeping him out of the kitten's food has been another story. Talk
about creative!

--
- Lynne
Old October 23rd 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:46:16 GMT, Dan Poirier wrote:

I take it yours haven't
figured this out?

if he does figure this out (or the kitten does), I will figure out a way
to 'anchor' the thing so it can't be shaken. Depending on where you feed
your cats, you probably have some options to do that, too. Since I have
dogs, my feeder is on a shelf. I have it tucked back behind a piece of
trim to keep the dog from getting to it. That also might prevent
shaking. Straps around the food container anchored to the wall would
also do the trick (nothing heavy duty would be needed).

- Lynne, whose kitten is climbing up her leg right now 3
Old October 23rd 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dan Poirier

In article ,
Lynne wrote:

if he does figure this out (or the kitten does), I will figure out a way
to 'anchor' the thing so it can't be shaken. Depending on where you feed
your cats, you probably have some options to do that, too. Since I have
dogs, my feeder is on a shelf. I have it tucked back behind a piece of
trim to keep the dog from getting to it. That also might prevent
shaking. Straps around the food container anchored to the wall would
also do the trick (nothing heavy duty would be needed).

I thought about something like that. It would be nice to not have to
refill it so often.
Old October 23rd 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]
|| Can anyone suggest an automatic cat feeder that would be suitable for
|| when going on holiday for a week?
|| We tried a cattery - but the cat hated it - wouldn't eat - and cried
|| pitifully when collected. He used to fend for himself before he
|| adopted us - and loves freedom.
|| We've been away for a couple of days and just left out a few bowls of
|| food.
|| But going away for a week would call for something more
|| sophisticated.
|| We are in UK and so would need something that can be obtained there.
|| All ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.
|| --
|| Chris

My automatic cat feeder over the years is my neighbour (at least asking
won't hurt)

--

Petzl

Old October 24th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

This
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...amilyID=14429&
is the auto-feeder I myself have for Taz... he doesn't know about the
shaking thing... so I'm not worried. I had to buy it for him because
he used to over-eat so bad. He got up to 30 lb. Now that I monitor
how much and when he eats he's losing weight. You can set up to 7
different feeding schedules and it will only release the amount of food
you want to feed your cat each time. Like the Dr Foster & Smith one,
it uses an auger to dispense... Taz loves this one because he can hear
the timer click on and know its time to eat. It's very quiet, you hear
no noise from the bowl at all unless you stand there with your ear up
to it. After it's finished dispensing food it'll turn itself off... Or
you can even just shut it off completely and give food manually
whenever you need. This thing was a lifesaver to me and I *love* it!
Petzl wrote:
]