Dogade; possible pedialyte replacement? opinions needed

Old October 23rd 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Default Dogade; possible pedialyte replacement? opinions needed

Hi guys, i just recieved a sample of 'Dogade' an electroyte replacer used
for working dogs to prevent dehydration and over heating. in a recent thread
we were discussing the use of pedialyte for sick kittens, however mine
dislike the orange and fruity flavours, which makes them hard to medicate
unless they are near collapse; obviously we'de like to get the electrolytes
into them before they reach this point. With the heat up here it's very easy
for small animals to become dehydrated, and that was a significant factor in
my kitten's recent illness. Now I'm ringing the vet this arvo to update
Crystal's progress, so I'll be asking them, but I wanted to ask your
opinions as well, and let you know if this does work.
I've been sent three flavours, chicken, bacon and beef. I'm supposed to
refrigerate it until use, and the ratio is 2 tsp to 600mL water, and
ingredients as follows.

0.15mg Vit. B1 1.50mg Vit. B3 1.50mg Vit. B5 0.15mg Vit B6 7.50mg Vit C
electrolytes sodium magnesium, potassium, flavour, sugar, purified water.

Note that this is intended for dogs, but pedialyte is also intended for kids
and is safe to use for felines. However pedialyte only contains
electrolytes, so I am checking mainly on the vitamin basis. I will email
this to the vet, and call as well, and tell you guys if it's ok for cat use
according to them. It would help to have something for dehydration that cats
will drink.

Old October 23rd 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Oct 22, 8:54 pm, "meeee"
wrote:
[...]

Kitten milk! My little Clyde seems to like drinking that so I dont have
to make him drink pedialyte.

Old October 24th 06, 10:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

meeee wrote:
[...]

There is also "unflavored" pedialyte which is preferred by human babies
in the first year of life. The flavored ones are only recommend for
older
babies and toddlers. Taste buds in humans change dramatically after
the first year of life. Don't know if that will apply to kitties, but
it's worth
a try.
--tension

Old October 24th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"tension_on_the_wire" wrote in message
ups.com...

meeee wrote:
[...]

Thanks I'll have to look for that. I don't think I'll use the dogade on the
cats; I'm unsure about the vitamin levels (forgot to ask the vet ) so
that's very handy to know; apparently orange flavoured is blergh!

Old October 26th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

"meeee" wrote in
:

There is also "unflavored" pedialyte which is preferred by human
babies in the first year of life. The flavored ones are only
recommend for older
babies and toddlers. Taste buds in humans change dramatically after
the first year of life. Don't know if that will apply to kitties,
but it's worth
a try.
--tension

Thanks I'll have to look for that. I don't think I'll use the dogade
on the cats; I'm unsure about the vitamin levels (forgot to ask the
vet ) so that's very handy to know; apparently orange flavoured is
blergh!

The only way I get Zak (CRF) to drink is to mix water with premium cat
food. I buy the Fancy Feast that has the lowest phosphorus and just
cover a small amount in the dish with warm water and he will drink it
all. He will eat a few pieces of the food but mostly he eats dry K/D. I
throw out what is left of the FF food. I would love to find a liquid I
could just add to water that would do the same job. So far with this
system Zak takes in enough fluid on his own which I am very happy about
but when I am at work there is no one to add more water to the dish of
food. He will drink clear water but "few and far between". I wonder if
the dogade would work. Zak likes chicken and beef.

Andy

Old October 27th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"Outsider" wrote in message
. ..
"meeee" wrote in
:

[...]

That's a good tip; I'll remember that. I will give my vet a call tomorrow
and ask them, then let you know. I can see how this would help you, so I'll
try and find out if they ship overseas; I can't see why not! If the vet ok's
it you can request a sample from the website to test it on him first; that's
how I got mine!

Old October 27th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

"meeee" wrote in
:

"Outsider" wrote in message
. ..
"meeee" wrote in
:

[...]

The web site infers they will ship overseas. Unless there is a lot of
phosphorus it is hard to see what would be bad. I will look at the site
and see what it says and see what you report from the vet. It would be
_really_ nice if I could mix a water-dish full and have him drink it. I
would not feel so guilty when I am at work.

Andy
Old October 27th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

Outsider wrote in
:

The web site infers they will ship overseas. Unless there is a lot of
phosphorus it is hard to see what would be bad. I will look at the site
and see what it says and see what you report from the vet. It would be
_really_ nice if I could mix a water-dish full and have him drink it. I
would not feel so guilty when I am at work.

Andy

MO

The web site says the product is sold in the US. I will look for it
locally and see if Zak likes it. If he does not the safety of the stuff is
kind of moot.