Anti-Depressants and Feral Cats

Old October 30th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Anti-Depressants and Feral Cats

Hello All,

I have a feral cat that I adopted about two years ago (she didn't
exhibit any feral tendencies when we adopted her and didn't become
aware of her situation until a couple of months after).

Anyways, about a year ago we got two kittens. Our feral cat didn't
take well to them, despite trying to introduce them a couple of
different ways. She growls and hisses at them and has begun growling
and hissing at my wife as well. She'll hiss at me every now and again,
but I seem to be the only one who can pick her up, play with her, etc.
without too much worry of gettng my eyeballs scratched out.

We let the feral cat outdoors (we have an enclosed backyard) and lately
she's only been coming inside to eat. She no longer comes in to sleep
or hang out. We've also noticed she's become more aggressive/anxious
when inside, so I'm afraid our well intentioned idea of letting her
outside is worsening her feral side.

Obviously, with winter coming soon, we're going to have to have her
inside full-time. Does anyone have any tips/pointers? Her wildside is
becoming so bad that she's growling almost constantly when she comes in
the house and we don't have any idea what to do.

One thought was using an AD for a short-while to help with her anxiety,
which we are almost certain is the cause of her aggression. We live in
a floor-through apartment, so partitioning space is difficult.

Help!

Old October 30th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Try Felliway diffuser (on the internet, vet's or a pet store) before you try
the anti depressants. Is there a place in your apartment she can have to
herself without the kittens?
Gail
oups.com...

Old October 30th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Gail wrote:
Try Felliway diffuser (on the internet, vet's or a pet store) before you try
the anti depressants. Is there a place in your apartment she can have to
herself without the kittens?

She has sort of claimed the bathroom (she has this cute/odd behavior of
climbing into the bathroom sink whenever I walk into the bathroom, it's
the only place you can pet her for more than 20 minutes without her
hissing at you and I've actually been able to give her a bath in it).
There are a few logistical issues with that, but we're willing to work
around it if it'll help her adjust.

We tried the feliway with little success. But are willing to give it
another chance.

I really don't want to put her on meds, but I am no cat behaviorist and
I really want her to atleast partially integrate, if not for her own
well being, but for our sanity as well.

Have they ever studied ADs in feral cats?

Thanks for the response!

Best.

Old October 30th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

The anti depressants will not hurt her so don't be afraid of taking that
path. I think the new kittens may have thrown her off a bit. She should
adjust in time.
Gail
wrote in message
oups.com...