My cat is on prednisone

Old October 31st 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
clearbrite99

Default My cat is on prednisone

Hi All,

I have a 2 year old orange tiger stripe fixed and front declawed male. He
has some sorta blood issue where if he doesn't take the prednisone his white
blood cell count gets too high and he gets sick and could die. He was on 5mg
of prednisone but as of recently he has been moved up to 10mg. He is the
saddest case. He has super white skin is tired all the time and scratches
himself until he bleeds. I have to give him food enzymes so he can keep his
food down. I love him like crazy but the vet has no idea what is the real
reason why his body basically "attacks" itself. It breaks my heart to see
him all full of gashes and bleeding all the time. The vet did mention to
bring him to other places to see if they can run more tests on him but we
just don't have the money to do something like that. Its not like he doens't
have any life at all and thats why i would find it too soon to put him to
sleep. Has anybody had an issue like this? Any ideas on what it might be or
is he just a lost cause that i have to watch die slowly? HELP!!

Old October 31st 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

I'm sorry to hear your cat is so sick. He really needs to get a
diagnosis of what is wrong so you know the best way to treat it.

If your vet is not able to diagnose the problem -- I'd get an opinion
from another vet. Take all of the tests you have already. An internist
vet would be best, which is probably what your vet is talking about. In
your cat's case, it could be worth saving the money for a visit. That's
where we took our diabetic cat on our regular vet's recommendation and
it saved his life.

I'd be a bit concerned about having your cat on steroids long-term, that
can trigger diabetes.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old October 31st 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
clearbrite99 via CatKB.com

Hey Rhonda thanks for the reply. I was wondering how you get an internist??
All the vet office around this area are like major price gougers! We live in
Fargo but go way out of town to Casselton vet for better prices. Yeah and
the vet said that if he is on pred for too long he will move than likely
become dependent on it. Its funny he has good days and bad, today he was
playing and having a great time. Just hate to see him suffer.
thanx!

Rhonda wrote:
I'm sorry to hear your cat is so sick. He really needs to get a
diagnosis of what is wrong so you know the best way to treat it.

If your vet is not able to diagnose the problem -- I'd get an opinion
from another vet. Take all of the tests you have already. An internist
vet would be best, which is probably what your vet is talking about. In
your cat's case, it could be worth saving the money for a visit. That's
where we took our diabetic cat on our regular vet's recommendation and
it saved his life.

I'd be a bit concerned about having your cat on steroids long-term, that
can trigger diabetes.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Hi All,

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

Old November 1st 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
2oz

Rhonda wrote:

I'd be a bit concerned about having your cat on steroids long-term, that
can trigger diabetes.

Good luck,

Rhonda

hmm?

best I can tell from steroids is...
they make you swell

they tamper with your heart function (they do)

they give you nightmares

they make you sweat
they make you eat like a gov't mule
they make your beep hard as a $50.00 jaw breaker

wild stuff

people better leave steroids alone

my take on steroids..

they are wonderful in the front, bad on the end

sweet in the mouth, bitter in the stomach

too many side effects

diabetes is hard core if you ask me

diabetes? who can say what causes... it's not just one thing
in general, I would say diabetes are brought on by neglect

it's not just one thing

you can never go after a symptom when it comes to diabetes (you can..
but don't think it's the big fix)

i've never read or heard this next statement:.. I think diabetes and
metabolism are very related

whatchew think

Old November 1st 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 31 Oct 2006 09:14:57p, 2oz wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:1162347297.542115.223080
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

too many side effects

diabetes is hard core if you ask me

diabetes? who can say what causes... it's not just one thing
in general, I would say diabetes are brought on by neglect

Rhonda had a bad experience with a cat on steroids. Steroids don't
cause diabetes; steroids can trigger the disease if the animal is
predisposed to it. Meaning, genetics, metabolism, combination of
metabolism/too many carbs, genetics. The truth is that cats
metabolize steroids better than dogs and humans. Both of those
species experience more side-effects from steroids. Short-acting
like prednisone is better; it's out of the body sooner. Long-acting
like Depo Medrol stays in the body longer, and can trigger side-
effects if it's going to happen at all. Bottom line is that
steroids can affect quality of life if not prolong life. But like
most medications you have to weigh the good with the bad. QOL is
important when nothing else works. Would you rather have 15 years
of misery, or 8-10 years of being happy and comfortable?

--
Cheryl
Old November 1st 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

If you haven't heard of it before, go onto the message board at
www.felinediabetes.com and ask how many have cats with steroid-induced
diabetes.

Rhonda

Old November 1st 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

You usually have to have a referral from your regular vet to get an
appointment with an internist. You might ask your vet about it, maybe
check on the internet to see if you have one nearby. Ours operated out
of an animal emergency hospital.

I'm glad your cat is better today. It's hard to see them not feeling well.

Rhonda

Old November 1st 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Thanks for clarifying, Cheryl. Bob probably was predisposed, but I have
to wonder how many more years he would have had without that one
flippin' steroid shot. He got diabetes immediately after that shot and
the internist is the one who told me that was probably cause. I would
never have put that together.

Rhonda

Old November 1st 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 03:39:44 GMT, Rhonda
wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, Cheryl. Bob probably was predisposed, but I have
to wonder how many more years he would have had without that one
flippin' steroid shot. He got diabetes immediately after that shot and
the internist is the one who told me that was probably cause. I would
never have put that together.

Rhonda

Cheryl wrote:

One shot caused diabetes? That really doesn't sound right. I took a
quick look at the site you mentioned in a following post and two cases
mentioned developing diabetes after nine months of steroid use, not a
single shot. Maybe I was looking at the wrong area?

I guess the shot might have brought it to the front, but I just can't
see one shot causing such a shift in body functioning.

Quite a few members of my extended family have had various forms of
intestinal inflamatory disease, which have traditionally been treated
with cortisone (prednisone). One of the key points of steroid
treatment is that the body's natural production of steroids decreases
when external steroids are introduced, so it is important to taper off
the medication rather than stop suddenly in order to prevent a rebound
affect. The important point is that the cat is already producing
steroids, and that an injection is not suddenly adding something that
wasn't there before. It's just more of it.

If you're feeling bad that a prednisone shot caused the diabetes, I
think you're not guilty as charged. I'd bet that the diabetes was
already there.
Old November 2nd 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Yep, he had just one shot. He was losing some hair on his face due to
suspected allergies, and the (substitute) vet gave him a steroid shot. I
don't know if it was prednisone or what type. I didn't take him in
myself and the internist vet pointed it out to me later.

Anyway, he was originally fine expect for the problem on his face, then
within 3 weeks he started soaking the litter box. I petted him one day
and felt his spine and realized we had a serious problem. The vet did
blood tests and found the diabetes -- and he had lost 3 pounds in 3 weeks.

I think the search you did was on site articles instead of asking people
on the message board. When I was on the board, there were quite a number
of active participants with cats with steroid-induced diabetes. I just
posted a message on it and will let you know how they answer.

I don't feel guilty about the shot, but sad that it happened. He may
have developed diabetes later in life, but this set it in motion faster.
He was only 10 or 11. He had a horrible 1st year with it, including
bouts of pancreatitus, but was in control the 2nd year. Unfortunately,
he died of cancer, but I wonder if that would have developed so soon
without his system being compromised by everything else going on.

Rhonda