Metal pee detector

Old November 3rd 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

Default Metal pee detector

I had a carpet cleaner come by today to see about cleaning some pee
stains from the carpet. He had some sort of metal rod with two sharp
points on the end. When he stuck the points in the pee stains, the rod
beeped. This, he said, indicated that the stains were all the way
through to the padding and likely to return if he cleaned them.

I've never seen such a device before. Is it real, or was he putting me
on? I can't imagine what characteristic of dried pee would react to
two metal prods.
Old November 3rd 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Was he selling you something
Urine will show up under black light.
I have never heard of such a device except a tuning fork

Old November 3rd 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

"Matthew" wrote:

Was he selling you something

Actually , he was unselling something. He determied the carpet isn't
worth cleaning because the stains are too deep.

Old November 4th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote:

Was he selling you something

Actually , he was unselling something. He determied the carpet isn't
worth cleaning because the stains are too deep.

Wow, that is pretty bad. What are you going to do?

Old November 4th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

The rod detects if the padding underneath has any moisture in it that is why
it beeped.

Personally I've had accidents from my dog in the house and I found the best
thing to clean it up is soak up the wet pee, pour white vinegar on it and
let it soak in, wait 8 hours and scrub. The best thing I ever bought was a
spot cleaner machine and a full size rug scrubber.

Celeste

Old November 4th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Hamblen

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:50:11 -0500, Richard Evans
wrote:

I had a carpet cleaner come by today to see about cleaning some pee
stains from the carpet. He had some sort of metal rod with two sharp
points on the end. When he stuck the points in the pee stains, the rod
beeped. This, he said, indicated that the stains were all the way
through to the padding and likely to return if he cleaned them.

I've never seen such a device before. Is it real, or was he putting me
on? I can't imagine what characteristic of dried pee would react to
two metal prods.

I've used a gadget that was calibrated for the moisture content of
wood by measuring the electrical resistance between two probes pressed
against the wood. I assume the carpet cleaner's gadget worked the
same way by measuring the electrical resistance. Or else it was a
neat bit of hocus-pocus.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old November 4th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

"cybercat" wrote:

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
.. .
"Matthew" wrote:

Was he selling you something

Actually , he was unselling something. He determied the carpet isn't
worth cleaning because the stains are too deep.

Wow, that is pretty bad. What are you going to do?

The carpet is pretty shabby in other respects as well, so will
probably replace it with vinyl.