A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat health & behaviour
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 4th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

I bought a seal tabby point Birman 3year old queen from a breeder
recently,on the active breeding list with the intention to breed from
her...But since bringing her home we have found that she has started
developing little patches of what looks like eczma,all over her body.I
tried to find out what it might be by ringing the breeder to ask if she
had ever had this problem with her before this incident,but all the
breeder could tell me was that she thought it might be an allergic
reaction to flea's,or central heating.I took the advice and immediately
went through every cat in our house with a fine tooth comb,but
discovered no flea's or flea refuse(flea excriment) on any of the
cats,so It can't be that;&I have started to allow her to spend the
majority of her time either outside,&/or, I have also given over the
new extension we had built for my partner to her,so that she has an
area where she can go away from the central heating,to try and resolve
the issue(I have turned the central heating off in there,& there is no
carpet to allow even potential for flea's egg's to hatch& infest any of
the cats)....but it has made no difference at all to her.If anything,it
is getting worse!!!(
We have 3Birmans,2Ragdolls & an 18year old pensioner moggie,none of
whom has suffered from anything remotely similar to this afliction.
When you look @ the crusts/scabs & feel it by probing,it feels like
little scabs that she simply cant leave alone because they are
obviously aggrivating her.I have been combing her regularly every day
in an attempt to try & stop them spreading & aleviate the itchyness for
her..& although it is not terrible presently,I am only too aware that
it casn/will inflame again & spread all over her body as it did
before.When I do this,she is more than happy to allow me to comb out
the little scabs as they form so that they don't irritate her into
sratching herself raw~although it is a stop-Gap,it doesn't answer the
problem,which is what is wrong with her & how can I best treat her for
it to stop it coming back?If anyone out there can relate to what I am
saying and advise me,I would be ever so grateful to you.I really feel
for her & my usual vet is also my neighbor &she is in Australia for
4weeks,so any advice would be more than gratefuly accepted.I would
rather stick to my own vet if possible,but will take her to any vet if
I have to, & cant find an answer,but this is just a last ditch attempt
to try & treat her for it, than take her to someone I don't know.(I am
agrophobic!).Many thanks to anyone that might be able to help me
too.This is the 1st time I have ever seen a service like this,so it
will be interesting to see if anyone does ever answer your questions.It
opens a whole new world for me If it does...hope to hear from some of
you soon.Thank you for any assisitance if you can help out on this
one..sheelagh

  #2  
Old November 4th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,761
Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem


wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a seal tabby point Birman 3year old queen from a breeder
recently,on the active breeding list with the intention to breed from
her...But since bringing her home we have found that she has started
developing little patches of what looks like eczma,all over her body.I
tried to find out what it might be by ringing the breeder to ask if she
had ever had this problem with her before this incident,but all the
breeder could tell me was that she thought it might be an allergic
reaction to flea's,or central heating.I took the advice and immediately
went through every cat in our house with a fine tooth comb,but
discovered no flea's or flea refuse(flea excriment) on any of the
cats,so It can't be that;&I have started to allow her to spend the
majority of her time either outside,&/or, I have also given over the
new extension we had built for my partner to her,so that she has an
area where she can go away from the central heating,to try and resolve
the issue(I have turned the central heating off in there,& there is no
carpet to allow even potential for flea's egg's to hatch& infest any of
the cats)....but it has made no difference at all to her.If anything,it
is getting worse!!!(
We have 3Birmans,2Ragdolls & an 18year old pensioner moggie,none of
whom has suffered from anything remotely similar to this afliction.
When you look @ the crusts/scabs & feel it by probing,it feels like
little scabs that she simply cant leave alone because they are
obviously aggrivating her.I have been combing her regularly every day
in an attempt to try & stop them spreading & aleviate the itchyness for
her..& although it is not terrible presently,I am only too aware that
it casn/will inflame again & spread all over her body as it did
before.When I do this,she is more than happy to allow me to comb out
the little scabs as they form so that they don't irritate her into
sratching herself raw~although it is a stop-Gap,it doesn't answer the
problem,which is what is wrong with her & how can I best treat her for
it to stop it coming back?If anyone out there can relate to what I am
saying and advise me,I would be ever so grateful to you.I really feel
for her & my usual vet is also my neighbor &she is in Australia for
4weeks,so any advice would be more than gratefuly accepted.I would
rather stick to my own vet if possible,but will take her to any vet if
I have to, & cant find an answer,but this is just a last ditch attempt
to try & treat her for it, than take her to someone I don't know.(I am
agrophobic!).Many thanks to anyone that might be able to help me
too.This is the 1st time I have ever seen a service like this,so it
will be interesting to see if anyone does ever answer your questions.It
opens a whole new world for me If it does...hope to hear from some of
you soon.Thank you for any assisitance if you can help out on this
one..sheelagh


Well, my advice is the advice you said you really don't want -- that is, I
think you need to take her to a vet and do so without delay. It isn't worth
risking her health (and possibly the health of your other cats if it is
contagious) just to avoid changing vets for awhile.

That said, is it possibly that this is ringworm? A vet could use a Woods
light to diagnose quickly. And, of course, ringworm is *highly* contagious,
so you would want to take preventive measures both for yourself and for your
other cats.

MaryL


  #3  
Old November 4th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,297
Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

on Sat, 04 Nov 2006 22:04:18 GMT, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

That said, is it possibly that this is ringworm? A vet could use a
Woods light to diagnose quickly. And, of course, ringworm is *highly*
contagious, so you would want to take preventive measures both for
yourself and for your other cats.


I was going to suggest that it might be ringworm as well.

--
Lynne
  #4  
Old November 5th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

thank you mary,I know in my heart that you are right & I will do as you
advise first thing in the morning.No,Ringworm didn't come to mind @ all
as I have never seen an infestation before...It sounds all rather
alarming & the very thought of all of the cats suffering the same
affliction is not a pleasant one at all is it?!I was hoping to avoid a
vets surgery that I don't know & they are not [email protected] either,but
having said that,I would far prefer to be safe than sorry-I couldn't
bare for them all to catch it...that would be utterly
devastating,wouldn't it?Is it an easily treatable problem,or is it
going to be a long-haul process,If you know of course?
I have never seen a web site like this before & thought that someone
out there might have at least a better idea of what it might be than I
did,so I am very grateful to you for such a prompt reply,THANK YOU VERY
MUCH INDEED Mary.At least I have some idea of what it might be now and
can take precautions against cross infection with the other cats too
now.Mind you,because of the problem,she has been fairly issolated from
the other cats thankfully,so I can only hope that I "might" have caught
it in time,but If I haven't then so be it-we will see it through to the
end as I couldn't bare the thought of any of the rest of them suffering
in the same way that she seems to be.
I have to be honest when I admit that I think that the breeder knew
full well that she had this problem because it started after only 2days
of her being here,& none of the rest of my cats are ill in any way @
all.I am disappointed that she couldn't be honest enough to tell me
that there was a problem because I would still have had her,but It
would have allowed me to get her treated by my own vet @ the right
time,not to mention the risk that she has left all of my other cats
open to.Disappointed is the right word,I am not angry,just sorely
disappointed,and also worride about the other 7Bengali cats that she
had for sale too.I believe they all went to one breeder who bought them
all the same day as I did,but I don't know who she was to ask if she
has the same problem as well.I can only hope that mine was the only
casualty!Would you be so good as to let me know how you think it is
possible that my little seal tabby girl picked this infection,as I
would do anything I can to try and do to stop cross infection between
the cats.I have already seperated them utterly including providing her
with her own cat litter too(just in case!).Is there anything else that
I can to do to protect my other cats whilst I await seeing the vet on
monday(I forgot,its sunday tomorrow so I might have a problem finding a
vet open to treat her!)
Thank hyou so much for your input,I grately appreciated it.....
Regards Sheelagh
MaryL wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a seal tabby point Birman 3year old queen from a breeder
recently,on the active breeding list with the intention to breed from
her...But since bringing her home we have found that she has started
developing little patches of what looks like eczma,all over her body.I
tried to find out what it might be by ringing the breeder to ask if she
had ever had this problem with her before this incident,but all the
breeder could tell me was that she thought it might be an allergic
reaction to flea's,or central heating.I took the advice and immediately
went through every cat in our house with a fine tooth comb,but
discovered no flea's or flea refuse(flea excriment) on any of the
cats,so It can't be that;&I have started to allow her to spend the
majority of her time either outside,&/or, I have also given over the
new extension we had built for my partner to her,so that she has an
area where she can go away from the central heating,to try and resolve
the issue(I have turned the central heating off in there,& there is no
carpet to allow even potential for flea's egg's to hatch& infest any of
the cats)....but it has made no difference at all to her.If anything,it
is getting worse!!!(
We have 3Birmans,2Ragdolls & an 18year old pensioner moggie,none of
whom has suffered from anything remotely similar to this afliction.
When you look @ the crusts/scabs & feel it by probing,it feels like
little scabs that she simply cant leave alone because they are
obviously aggrivating her.I have been combing her regularly every day
in an attempt to try & stop them spreading & aleviate the itchyness for
her..& although it is not terrible presently,I am only too aware that
it casn/will inflame again & spread all over her body as it did
before.When I do this,she is more than happy to allow me to comb out
the little scabs as they form so that they don't irritate her into
sratching herself raw~although it is a stop-Gap,it doesn't answer the
problem,which is what is wrong with her & how can I best treat her for
it to stop it coming back?If anyone out there can relate to what I am
saying and advise me,I would be ever so grateful to you.I really feel
for her & my usual vet is also my neighbor &she is in Australia for
4weeks,so any advice would be more than gratefuly accepted.I would
rather stick to my own vet if possible,but will take her to any vet if
I have to, & cant find an answer,but this is just a last ditch attempt
to try & treat her for it, than take her to someone I don't know.(I am
agrophobic!).Many thanks to anyone that might be able to help me
too.This is the 1st time I have ever seen a service like this,so it
will be interesting to see if anyone does ever answer your questions.It
opens a whole new world for me If it does...hope to hear from some of
you soon.Thank you for any assisitance if you can help out on this
one..sheelagh


Well, my advice is the advice you said you really don't want -- that is, I
think you need to take her to a vet and do so without delay. It isn't worth
risking her health (and possibly the health of your other cats if it is
contagious) just to avoid changing vets for awhile.

That said, is it possibly that this is ringworm? A vet could use a Woods
light to diagnose quickly. And, of course, ringworm is *highly* contagious,
so you would want to take preventive measures both for yourself and for your
other cats.

MaryL


  #5  
Old November 5th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,761
Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem


wrote in message
oups.com...
thank you mary,I know in my heart that you are right & I will do as you
advise first thing in the morning.No,Ringworm didn't come to mind @ all
as I have never seen an infestation before...It sounds all rather
alarming & the very thought of all of the cats suffering the same
affliction is not a pleasant one at all is it?!

snip Is it an easily treatable problem,or is it
going to be a long-haul process,If you know of course?
I have never seen a web site like this before & thought that someone
out there might have at least a better idea of what it might be than I
did,so I am very grateful to you for such a prompt reply,THANK YOU VERY
MUCH INDEED Mary.At least I have some idea of what it might be now and
can take precautions against cross infection with the other cats too
now.Mind you,because of the problem,she has been fairly issolated from
the other cats thankfully,so I can only hope that I "might" have caught
it in time,but If I haven't then so be it-we will see it through to the
end as I couldn't bare the thought of any of the rest of them suffering
in the same way that she seems to be.
I have to be honest when I admit that I think that the breeder knew
full well that she had this problem because it started after only 2days
of her being here,& none of the rest of my cats are ill in any way @
all.I am disappointed that she couldn't be honest enough to tell me
that there was a problem because I would still have had her,but It
would have allowed me to get her treated by my own vet @ the right
time,not to mention the risk that she has left all of my other cats
open to.Disappointed is the right word,I am not angry,just sorely
disappointed,and also worride about the other 7Bengali cats that she
had for sale too.

snip
Thank hyou so much for your input,I grately appreciated it.....
Regards Sheelagh


Sheelagh, thank you for accepting advice to take your cat to a vet. This
way, you can get a diagnosis and advice on how to proceed. Let's hope it is
not ringworm -- but if it is, the faster you act, the better. And I would
also be suspicious of the breeder, just as you said.

Fortunately, I have never experienced ringworm, so I am working only on what
I have read. It is treatable, but takes constant vigilance while you work
with your cat (and you will probably also receive instructions for cleansing
your home, in the event ringworm is diagnosed). Here are a few sites you
might want to look at before you visit the vet:
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html
http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthringworm.htm
http://www.cat-world.com.au/Ringworm.htm
http://ebiz.hibernia.com/animalclinic/ringworm/
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html

Be sure to call your own doctor if this does turn out to be ringworm because
ringworm is contagious and can be passed from cat to human (or even from
human to cat). Incidentally, there is actually no "worm" -- it is caused by
fungus.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e



  #6  
Old November 5th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

Hi Lynne,
Thank you so much for the advice Tiggie the Birman seal tabby
point.It was just the right sort of advice that I needed because I had
no idea what was wrong,only that all was not as it should be...but now
that I have something to go on,I will do all that I can to get her seen
by a vetinary surgeon asap,hopfuly tomorrow(sunday;o(,but if
not,definately on monday.I had no idea what It might be,& now that I
know how contageous ringworm is in both humans and also cats ,I will
alert my Gp to the possible threat as well because I have 4children
here as well as a disabled partner too.I hate to think how much I have
put them @ risk through ignorance,but as they say,it is a lesson well
learnt all be it by the hard way!I am horrified to be honest?!!
I have isolated her in the extension with her own food bowl,litter and
water too,&seperated her bed as well as her blanket in there.As It is a
fungal virus,I am still ignorant as to what to watch out for with
regard to the other cats and the children,so any info on that would be
more than appreciated also,if you know yourself of course?I assume that
washing her bedding will not be enough to rid it of any spores that
might be in them..&that I would be well advised to seperately wash her
bits than mixing a wash with her stuff and the kids bits?I am washing
hands full time now &also being as cautious as possible with regard to
passing it on- If you have any further advice,I will follow it to the
letter as I can assure you that in this instance....Ignorance is not
bliss @ all!!In fact I feel terrible about the fact that I wasn't more
aware,but I suppose you cant know everything,but it would be good to
find out more about it so that I can be more vigilant in the future.I
have learnt this lesson the hard way,but learnt well from it in the
process.
I will be more than happy to keep you posted as I find out exactly what
the problem is and also the extent of the outbreak too,as soon as I
know myself.I assume that a woods light is an implement to see whether
she has it or not?
Please bare with me with regard to using this site-I might make
mistakes in answering correctly,or in the right format as I am brand
new to a Pc and also this program too so it is all a bit trial & error
presently...but I am doing my best to keep up with it.It feels like I
have just tapped into a brand new world that "feels right")
I would love to share a few photos with you of Tiggie,but still got to
learn how I might do that without crashing the Pc(I can just picture
the kids holding thier heads in hands nodding in disbelief,ha ha..)
Thanks once again & hope to speak to you soon,
Best Wishes,Sheelagh
Lynne wrote:
on Sat, 04 Nov 2006 22:04:18 GMT, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

That said, is it possibly that this is ringworm? A vet could use a
Woods light to diagnose quickly. And, of course, ringworm is *highly*
contagious, so you would want to take preventive measures both for
yourself and for your other cats.


I was going to suggest that it might be ringworm as well.

--
Lynne


  #7  
Old November 5th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

thanks once again Mary for the links to try out before our visit to the
vets,and also for the wonderful slideshow of your super cats,Holly
&Dufy as well..I can see why you are so cat minded now,& they really
are marvelous creatures arn't they?You must be so proud of them-I know
that I would be if I were you!
I am brand new to the Pc and the kids look at me with glee when they
see me tapping away two [email protected] at a time,but hold thier heads in
thier hands when I mention the words"Help me" of course!I never knew
that sites like this existed;I happened to stumble across it when I was
up loading some photos of the cats to be honest,but what a find-A prize
find too...I am elated to find out that there are other cat minded
people out there who are so helpful.I would love to share a few photos
of our feline family to you too,but I have yet to figure out just how
to send you a link so that you can-as soon as I do,I will send you a
few of our lot as well for your laugh of the day...I assure you that
they really are comedians,despite their current predicament...
I am going to alert the Gp too with regard to the possible outbreak of
ringworm as we have 4children here as well as my disabled partner
Paul.I need advice on how to minimise & contain the outbreak,as well as
advice regarding what to do about sending them all to schoool &
college-I will also be only too happy to keep you abreast of how things
develop,as it happens;it is the least I can do after all of your sage
advice.Salutations,leg weaves&plenty of head rubs to your feline family
too by the way!
Best Wishes Sheelagh 'o'
MaryL wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
thank you mary,I know in my heart that you are right & I will do as you
advise first thing in the morning.No,Ringworm didn't come to mind @ all
as I have never seen an infestation before...It sounds all rather
alarming & the very thought of all of the cats suffering the same
affliction is not a pleasant one at all is it?!

snip Is it an easily treatable problem,or is it
going to be a long-haul process,If you know of course?
I have never seen a web site like this before & thought that someone
out there might have at least a better idea of what it might be than I
did,so I am very grateful to you for such a prompt reply,THANK YOU VERY
MUCH INDEED Mary.At least I have some idea of what it might be now and
can take precautions against cross infection with the other cats too
now.Mind you,because of the problem,she has been fairly issolated from
the other cats thankfully,so I can only hope that I "might" have caught
it in time,but If I haven't then so be it-we will see it through to the
end as I couldn't bare the thought of any of the rest of them suffering
in the same way that she seems to be.
I have to be honest when I admit that I think that the breeder knew
full well that she had this problem because it started after only 2days
of her being here,& none of the rest of my cats are ill in any way @
all.I am disappointed that she couldn't be honest enough to tell me
that there was a problem because I would still have had her,but It
would have allowed me to get her treated by my own vet @ the right
time,not to mention the risk that she has left all of my other cats
open to.Disappointed is the right word,I am not angry,just sorely
disappointed,and also worride about the other 7Bengali cats that she
had for sale too.

snip
Thank hyou so much for your input,I grately appreciated it.....
Regards Sheelagh


Sheelagh, thank you for accepting advice to take your cat to a vet. This
way, you can get a diagnosis and advice on how to proceed. Let's hope it is
not ringworm -- but if it is, the faster you act, the better. And I would
also be suspicious of the breeder, just as you said.

Fortunately, I have never experienced ringworm, so I am working only on what
I have read. It is treatable, but takes constant vigilance while you work
with your cat (and you will probably also receive instructions for cleansing
your home, in the event ringworm is diagnosed). Here are a few sites you
might want to look at before you visit the vet:
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html
http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthringworm.htm
http://www.cat-world.com.au/Ringworm.htm
http://ebiz.hibernia.com/animalclinic/ringworm/
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html

Be sure to call your own doctor if this does turn out to be ringworm because
ringworm is contagious and can be passed from cat to human (or even from
human to cat). Incidentally, there is actually no "worm" -- it is caused by
fungus.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Duffy and Holly together: http://tinyurl.com/8b47e


  #8  
Old November 5th 06, 08:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,761
Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem


wrote in message
ups.com...
thanks once again Mary for the links to try out before our visit to the
vets,and also for the wonderful slideshow of your super cats,Holly
&Dufy as well..

snip
I am going to alert the Gp too with regard to the possible outbreak of
ringworm as we have 4children here as well as my disabled partner
Paul.I need advice on how to minimise & contain the outbreak,as well as
advice regarding what to do about sending them all to schoool &
college-I will also be only too happy to keep you abreast of how things
develop,as it happens;it is the least I can do after all of your sage
advice.Salutations,leg weaves&plenty of head rubs to your feline family
too by the way!
Best Wishes Sheelagh 'o'


Thanks, Sheelagh, and welcome to the group.

I meant to suggest that you check with your GP *if* this is diagnosed as
ringworm. Why not see the the vet first on Monday before contacting your
doctor? I could have been completely wrong about the possibility of
ringworm (and home I am).

MaryL




  #9  
Old November 6th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,348
Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

Hi,

I'm a reg. Siamese breeder in Australia and have recently had the same
trouble; getting a new girl in is a risky job and next time I'd advise (no
matter how ethical the breeder seems) that you isolate any new cats from the
others for 2 weeks at least, bathe in antifungal wash and get a full blood
panel and check up done by the vet. I've just had ringworm introduced to my
cat and human family (I have a small number of breeding cats, all my
moggies, my family sharing the house) by an 'ethical' breeder who neglected
to tell me about her ringworm problem, so I can advise you on how to lessen
the damage. I'd also be checking for mites, it doesnt sound to me like flea
allergies but ringworm or mites. Ok now for my treatment plan; isolate all
cats showing ringworm signs. Use a bleach solution to wash down all floors
and walls as much as possible; thoroughly vacuum carpets and upholstery. A
product called 'F10' is the most effective, both to wash your cats, the
floors and also can be used on upholstery and carpets. It wont stain but
check anyway. F10 can also be used as a topical treatment on ringworm
lesions; its the best thing. If you cant get F10 use Malaseb as a washl less
effective but if used regularly does help. A disinfectant called Benzyl
Colonium Chloride (check disinfectant labels) can be used on upholstery and
carpet without staining. Ringworm is spread by 'flakes' of the fungus, so
regular vacuuming/mopping will help you keep it down. Also take the cat
immediately to the vet; he will prescribe an antibiotic called Grisolven or
Griseofulven (same thing) that destroys the cell walls of the ringworm :you
will NEVER get rid of it without this. Be careful with young kittens though
as there is some link to liver damage, however I've had no problem. Just
watch it with cats with liver conditions and check with your vet about use
during pregnancy/lactation/in young kittens. Mostly the ringworm will be
dormant with adult cats (which is why I suggest checking for mites or lice)
but will attack your kittens and any cats with a low immune system. Keep on
top of it with the kittens, as ringworm patches grow back darker until the
next moult, so points can look patchy and affect showing and sale. DO NOT
sell on any kittens until the ringowrm is healed and fur has grown back;
you'll just get yourself a bad reputation, as the breeder who did this to
you just has. For your family, wash all bedding, clothes, table linen etc
and use an anti fungal and anti bacterial wash instead of fabric softener.
It should be available in the supermarket; there is a canesten brand and a
dettol brand; both are effective. Topically the best human treatment is neat
tea tree oil; kills it stone dead immediately. I only had one lesion where I
got clawed, and the kids got one each but the tea tree knocked it on the
head and they've had no more. ABOVE ALL don't use the tea tree oil on the
cats; it is highly toxic to them. It will be a bit of work eradicating it
but its not as bad as you think!! Just staying on top of hygiene as you
normally would and keeping their meds going for the 6 weeks. Most of these
steps will also work to eradicate lice and mites; Malaseb also kills insects
I think; the vet will advise. Just use high heat on the washing machine to
kill any eggs in bedding. Best of luck~!!


  #10  
Old November 6th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

http://picasaweb.google.com/sheelagh...83858555011090
meeee wrote:
Hi,

I'm a reg. Siamese breeder in Australia and have recently had the same
trouble; getting a new girl in is a risky job and next time I'd advise (no
matter how ethical the breeder seems) that you isolate any new cats from the
others for 2 weeks at least, bathe in antifungal wash and get a full blood
panel and check up done by the vet. I've just had ringworm introduced to my
cat and human family (I have a small number of breeding cats, all my
moggies, my family sharing the house) by an 'ethical' breeder who neglected
to tell me about her ringworm problem, so I can advise you on how to lessen
the damage. I'd also be checking for mites, it doesnt sound to me like flea
allergies but ringworm or mites. Ok now for my treatment plan; isolate all
cats showing ringworm signs. Use a bleach solution to wash down all floors
and walls as much as possible; thoroughly vacuum carpets and upholstery. A
product called 'F10' is the most effective, both to wash your cats, the
floors and also can be used on upholstery and carpets. It wont stain but
check anyway. F10 can also be used as a topical treatment on ringworm
lesions; its the best thing. If you cant get F10 use Malaseb as a washl less
effective but if used regularly does help. A disinfectant called Benzyl
Colonium Chloride (check disinfectant labels) can be used on upholstery and
carpet without staining. Ringworm is spread by 'flakes' of the fungus, so
regular vacuuming/mopping will help you keep it down. Also take the cat
immediately to the vet; he will prescribe an antibiotic called Grisolven or
Griseofulven (same thing) that destroys the cell walls of the ringworm :you
will NEVER get rid of it without this. Be careful with young kittens though
as there is some link to liver damage, however I've had no problem. Just
watch it with cats with liver conditions and check with your vet about use
during pregnancy/lactation/in young kittens. Mostly the ringworm will be
dormant with adult cats (which is why I suggest checking for mites or lice)
but will attack your kittens and any cats with a low immune system. Keep on
top of it with the kittens, as ringworm patches grow back darker until the
next moult, so points can look patchy and affect showing and sale. DO NOT
sell on any kittens until the ringowrm is healed and fur has grown back;
you'll just get yourself a bad reputation, as the breeder who did this to
you just has. For your family, wash all bedding, clothes, table linen etc
and use an anti fungal and anti bacterial wash instead of fabric softener.
It should be available in the supermarket; there is a canesten brand and a
dettol brand; both are effective. Topically the best human treatment is neat
tea tree oil; kills it stone dead immediately. I only had one lesion where I
got clawed, and the kids got one each but the tea tree knocked it on the
head and they've had no more. ABOVE ALL don't use the tea tree oil on the
cats; it is highly toxic to them. It will be a bit of work eradicating it
but its not as bad as you think!! Just staying on top of hygiene as you
normally would and keeping their meds going for the 6 weeks. Most of these
steps will also work to eradicate lice and mites; Malaseb also kills insects
I think; the vet will advise. Just use high heat on the washing machine to
kill any eggs in bedding. Best of luck~!!


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help for my Lilac point Birman Patti Cat health & behaviour 2 April 26th 05 02:39 PM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 November 28th 04 06:15 AM
Skin [BW?][Long] Yowie Cat anecdotes 27 October 31st 04 10:38 PM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Need help with cat skin problem Blue Cat health & behaviour 22 September 15th 04 09:40 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.