Cat in hiding...can't find her!

Old November 6th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
elizabethw818

Default Cat in hiding...can't find her!

Hello ~ My parents recently got their third cat, taking her as a favor
to a friend of mine. They have 2 female cats and this is their third.
When they brought her home, she was secluded for some time as to get
acclimated to the house. She was later released into the house and
immediately hid in the basement. They knew where she was and she was
eating and using the litter box (when no one could see her). We got
her out of hiding and put her back in seclusion to start over with the
process. Immediately upon being in seclusion, she was FINE - friendly,
purring, sitting on laps, not hiding. After a week - ten days, they
let her out and she immediately took off and hid. She hasn't been seen
since (she is still eating and using the litter box). It's been about
2 weeks and there no one knows where she is. Any suggestions to
locating her? Some rooms in the house have been blocked off (if
possible) if they know she is not there. Any help is most appreciated!!

Old November 6th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Just because the rooms are blocked off does not mean the furball is not in
there. there are sneak thieves getting in places where you least expect
them to be. IMO FIND THE CAT ASAP put a collar with a bell on it also
add two things to the collar a flashing led light which clips onto the
collar and a remote key finder that beeps when you whistle. They are very
light weight I had to do this for one of our cats for a while. The furball
decide to disappear in the house for days at a time. When the furball
figured out that there was no more hiding

Your furball sounds like a feliway dispenser will be need to calm down the
furball maybe possible medications. It sounds like an over excited cat.
You need to do the seclusion again than introduce to the rest of the house
room by room very slowly and cat proof the house against future
disappearances

oups.com...

Old November 6th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Annie Wxill

"elizabethw818" wrote in message
oups.com...
....It's been about
2 weeks and there no one knows where she is. Any suggestions to locating
her? ...

Hi Elizabeth,

Look under all the beds and check for a rip in the fabric underneath the box
springs, or a suspicious bulge causing the fabric to droop. Also check
inside the furniture. If you have a reclining chair or couch, do not change
the position of the furniture until you make sure the cat is not underneath
where it could be injured by the mechanics of the thing. If you have a
fireplace, do not light a fire in it. The cat could be in the chimney.
Annie

Old November 6th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
StephanieM

You also may want to try to lure the cat out with food. Sometimes
shaking their food box or whatever it comes in helps. I know mine come
out of the woodwork when they hear their food being moved around.

Old November 6th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Edna Pearl

Please let us know where you find her :-) It's always nice to know what
these guys' latests tricks. The box springs would have been my guess, but
somebody has already covered that.

ep

Old November 6th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:44:14 GMT, "Edna Pearl"
wrote:

It's always nice to know what
these guys' latests tricks. The box springs would have been my guess,
but somebody has already covered that.

when I first got Rudy at 4 months and feral, he used to hide in the rafters
of the ceiling in my unfinished basement. It took me a while to find him,
and so then I started to keep that door closed.

Now he comes when I call him, but he's usually just sleeping on one of a
few favorite pieces of furniture. I really like it when he comes and jumps
in my lap out of the blue for some lovin'. They almost all come around
eventually.

--
Lynne
Old November 6th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

I had a cat who would hide when any company came. I couldn't find where she
was going until that winter when I went to get blankets down off a shelf.
Here she had been stuffing herself in between the top two blankets and
hiding.

Celeste

Old November 7th 06, 05:26 PM
Donna Frierson Donna Frierson is offline
Junior Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethw818
[...]
Elizabeth, why not try luring her out with some real tuna fish and once you have her I would recommend making her a pleasant but secluded environment of her own. The other cats are probably territorily harrassing her even if it isn't evident to you. We recently brought in three stray cats (Tyke, DL & Spec). One feral and two borderline. All hid away at first. Then Tyke started getting friendly, jumping on laps and generally incorporating into our 8 cat household. Not long after our dominate male (Ev) took major exception to this and began a daily routine of serious harrassment. DL stayed hidden away behind the water heater in our coat closet. They would sneak out onto the screened porch at night to use the litter box, eat and then hurry back before sunrise. After lots of patience and many months of trying it got so bad that Tyke would have to make a mad dash at dawn with Ev at his heals and DL was completely marooned to the closet. (We think our dominate female was causing this.) As hard as it was we had to seclude them permanenly to an upstairs bedroom (complete with big sunny windows and a nice tall cat tree.) They would have never gotten acclaimated. On the other hand, Spec never had one bit of a problem, she is now part of our kitty family. As long your kitty senses danger she will probably continue to hide further and further away. Plus it's not healthy for her to be in a constant state of fight or flight. After all she is already secluded, why not make her seclusion a comfortable one. JMO
Old November 8th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Elizabeth, did you find her?

If not, how about blocking off all the rooms you can but keeping food,
water, litter box in each closed room. She could be where you least
expect. If the food is untouched, you'll know she's not in those rooms.

Have you looked behind all of the appliances? Try behind the
refrigerator, washer, dryer, dishwasher. Are there loose cabinet doors
that she could open the door and it would close behind her -- like under
the kitchen sink? We have a cat who is great at hiding in drawers and
cupboards.

If this was your friend's cat, could they come over? Would the cat
recognize their voice?

Let us know what happens.

Rhonda

Old November 8th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

is there perhaps an open window well or hole in the installation? you'd be
shocked where cats will run off to. do you have an attic? seriously you need
to check EVRYWHERE.

I'd be a little concerned that the cat is trapped somewhere - my cat ran away
once (and he's an indoor cat and didn't know the lay of the land) and he got
trapped in a neighbor's garage for 5 days without food which is very
upsetting - luckily a neighbor heard him whining.

more likely he/she is chilling out in a small dark spot relatively nearby.
put food near all the doors. . he/she has a great sense of smell and will
definitely be hungry.

we eventually caught our our other cat when he jetted by setting up a motion
light that went off when anything got near the food - granted a couple times
it was a neighbor's cat but it did ultimately work.