Update on cat pooping in house

Old November 7th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Deborah Trujillo

Default Update on cat pooping in house

My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because I
had loved the cat so much. I've had him at the vet's since yesterday to
treat his diarrhea and find out of any physical causes of this. I bought a
new box.

I've decided it would be best to take him back to the shelter. It's no-kill
and Tumbleweed is still young. I learned his brother went through some
separation anxiety when we brought him home and wouldn't eat so he's been
staying at the house of the woman running the adoptions for cats at this
location. Maybe they'll be reunited.

This is breaking my heart so I've told my husband he has to come with me so
I don't have to do this alone.

We're going out of town Friday but we'll take him back before we leave.

I know I will probably get flamed for this decision but I'm doing what I
think is best for all concerned.

Old November 7th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Deborah Trujillo" wrote in message
My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because
had loved the cat so much.

Umm, right. Your husband married the right woman, that's for sure.

As for Tumbleweed, not everyone can live with inappropriate elimination,
it's
really tough. He will probably never find a permanent home, but hopefully
the
"no-kill" shelter really IS no-kill and lasts, and he can live out his days
there.
It is very sad, but sometimes life is.

Old November 7th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

[...]

You're doing the right thing to take this cat back. Please don't adopt
another one. They can have health issues just like anyone. They need
patience and someone who is willing to look for the solution not someone so
quick to throw in the towel.

Old November 7th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debbie

You didn't read my post. I am only making this decision because of my
husband's allergies. I made a mistake in adopting this cat in the
first place because I thought my husband could live with the cat as
long as brushed him frequently - however, that hasn't worked.. My
husband and I went together to pick him out.

Had it not been for my husband's allergies I would not be making this
decision. As for the inappropriate elimination, that is something I
know will pass. I've dealt with it in the past with other cats and was
able to work things out and could have worked this out as well. I am
sure that this came about from something that was going on that was
bothering him or maybe he was getting uncomfortable from his diarrhea
and was associating the box with it.

And don't worry, I DON'T plan to adopt again as long as my husband is
alive since it's obvious he is allergic to cats. I will probably
volunteer my time in cat shelters instead or make myself available to
look in on other people's cats in their homes in this neighborhood
(we're in an age-restricted neighborhood).

Old November 7th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debbie

I am sure the inappropriate elimination will pass. He's had diarrhea
for some time now (partially resulting from antibiotics he's been on)
and may have been associating the box with the discomfort from his
diarrhea. He also might not have liked the cat litter I was using (I'd
never tried this kind before). I have dealt with this in the past with
other cats and it did pass.

Were it not for my husband's allergies I would be trying to work things
out here.

Old November 7th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Debbie

I would like to add Wendy: Where were you when I posted back in
September my concerns that Tumbleweed wouldn't eat or more recently
when I wanted some input on how to deal with his pooping outside the
box?

Yes, I did deal with the latter issue before in another cat and learned
it was something as simple as the fact that she didn't like the brand
of cat little I had bought (although it took a while to figure this
out) so I didn't buy that brand anymore. I still haven't figured out
what caused this although I've considered many possibilities - since it
came on suddenly last Saturday.

I don't appreciate your waiting until I make a decision like this to
respond and criticize when you never offered any advice to me on the
past on how to deal with these issues.

Old November 7th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Debbie" wrote

I don't appreciate your waiting until I make a decision like this to
respond and criticize when you never offered any advice to me on the
past on how to deal with these issues.

Nevertheless, she is right. You shouldn't adopt another cat if you can't
summon the dedication to see it through problems like this.

What kills me and others who get upset when we hear about cats
being returned to shelters is this: they are emotional creatures, and
have been through a lot. Tumbleweed thought he had a home, you
know? I am not flaming you. But this, for sure, is the basis of lots
of flamey reactions.

Old November 7th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Debbie" wrote in message
oups.com...
You didn't read my post. I am only making this decision because of my
husband's allergies. I made a mistake in adopting this cat in the
first place because I thought my husband could live with the cat as
long as brushed him frequently - however, that hasn't worked.. My
husband and I went together to pick him out.

I am allergic to cats and I live with two. I sleep with one. One word
for your charming hubby: CLARITIN. There are others, too, that
might work even better.

Old November 7th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Debbie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am sure the inappropriate elimination will pass. He's had diarrhea
for some time now (partially resulting from antibiotics he's been on)
and may have been associating the box with the discomfort from his
diarrhea. He also might not have liked the cat litter I was using (I'd
never tried this kind before). I have dealt with this in the past with
other cats and it did pass.

Were it not for my husband's allergies I would be trying to work things
out here.

Debbie---get him some Claritin! The generic is actually much cheaper,
it is called Loratidine and Walmart, Kroger, etc. all sell it in 10 mg
caps for about 1/4 the price of Claritin.

If what you are saying is true and your husband is not just using this
as an excuse to unload a poopy cat, they you don't have to get rid
of little Tumbleweed. I am allergic and it works GREAT!