Will they ever get along again? (little long)

Old November 11th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Default Will they ever get along again? (little long)

Here's the story. I have 2 cats...cat A is 3 years old. I've had him since
he was a kitten. About 8 months ago, I adopted cat B who is now just over a
year old. It took a little while for the 2 to get along, and while they
aren't best friends, they do play together and get along okay. Yesterday, I
took cat B to the vet. When I brought him home and let him out of the
carrier, cat A hissed, growled and tried to attack cat B. Now I understand
this is normal behavior, that cat A was reacting to the weird smells, etc,
on cat B. But here it is the next day and cat A is still reacting the same
way to cat B. Is this normal? Will cat A ever come around? Is there
anything I can do to make the situation better? Should I just let them work
it out? I don't want them not to get along. ps. I already have Feliway
diffusers all over the house (since adopting cat B).

Thanks for any advice.

Sue

Old November 11th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Take a towel take cat a rub the towel all over cat a than rub all over cat
b same smell.

Or really to get to the furballs take a piece of your dirty clothing rub
both of them see how fast they try to get the smell off ;-)

news

Old November 11th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Matthew,
I tried what you suggested (rubbed my old robe over both cats) and it didn't
help. Wally (cat A) is still treating Ernie (cat B) not very nice...hissing
and swatting at him. It's almost as if Wally thinks I brought a new cat
into the house. And I'm beginning to worry about Ernie because he doesn't
understand why Wally is treating him so bad.

Sue
"Matthew" wrote in message
. ..
Take a towel take cat a rub the towel all over cat a than rub all over
cat b same smell.

Or really to get to the furballs take a piece of your dirty clothing rub
both of them see how fast they try to get the smell off ;-)

news

Old November 12th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
news
[...]

I have had a similar thing, and this was between littermates/mother and
babies. It does take a few days. Just make sure the persecuted one has space
to hide. Depending on how long they were there/what was done they should be
ok within 2 weeks; this might seem a while but cats are VERY sensitive to
smells and changes. Cat A does know it is a 'friend' but is basically
freaked out by the strangeness of the smell. Give them time and they'll be
fine; unfortunately there is no 'quick fix' as it sounds like your cat is a
bit more sensitive than most. Things will go back to normal though. Best
wishes

Old November 12th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Thanks for the reassurance. You are right, we always thought Wally (cat A)
is overly sensitive. I just worry that poor Ernie (cat B) doesn't
understand why Wally is treating him so bad. Fortunately, Ernie is pretty
easy-going.

"meeee" wrote in message

news

Old November 13th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Today was a little better....they were actually chasing each other around
the house (in a good way).

Sue

"meeee" wrote in message
No worries...hope it's getting better today

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the reassurance. You are right, we always thought Wally (cat
A) is overly sensitive. I just worry that poor Ernie (cat B) doesn't
understand why Wally is treating him so bad. Fortunately, Ernie is
pretty easy-going.

"meeee" wrote in message

news Here's the story. I have 2 cats...cat A is 3 years old. I've had him

Old November 14th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Default It's not getting better (was: Will they ever get along again?)

Well, today may have been a step backwards. Cat A (Wally) is still hissing
at cat B (Ernie) and acts like he's not happy that Ernie is around. I'm
really at a loss as to what to do. I've been trying to give both cats lots
of attention. I'll give it time and hope things get better.......

Sue

"meeee" wrote in message
That's encouraging...sounds like things might be returning to normal!

. ..

"meeee" wrote in message
No worries...hope it's getting better today

news Thanks for the reassurance. You are right, we always thought Wally

Old November 14th 06, 10:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Don't worry...I've introduced a new girl recently and I thought she was
doing better but then today she's swiping at everyone again. Give them time,
tomorrow Wally might be in a better mood.

"meeee" wrote in message
That's encouraging...sounds like things might be returning to normal!

. ..

"meeee" wrote in message

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
[...]

My first trip to the Humane Society (LONG) Dan Cat health & behaviour 18 July 11th 05 12:48 AM
OT, Long, don't give a damn; Joyce Brauer 1936 - 2005 Singh Cat anecdotes 16 July 1st 05 10:44 PM
The Chronicles of Frank II (LONG AGAIN) Marina Cat anecdotes 65 September 21st 04 03:58 AM
T&H Update - Long LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 15th 04 09:52 AM
About Bandit - long CatNipped Cat anecdotes 42 July 18th 04 07:34 AM