my cat is acting crazy

Old November 14th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mogandfritz

Default my cat is acting crazy

I am dumbfounded any help would be great. I have two cats, a 5 year old and
3 years old. The older is a male, the younger a female. They are both fixed.
In the past two days my younger cat has been acting strange. One second she
will act normal and loving towards my other cat the next second I turn my
back and she is literally screaming at him. I have never seen or heard her
act like this. I have checked her and see know injuries on her body. She is
eating and using the bathroom. I should note that they usually are best
friends spending practically every minute together, but in the last few days
I have kept them in separate rooms. Any ideas?

Old November 15th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"mogandfritz" u29107@uwe wrote in message news:694b08db16b35@uwe...
I am dumbfounded any help would be great. I have two cats, a 5 year old
and
3 years old. The older is a male, the younger a female. They are both
fixed.
In the past two days my younger cat has been acting strange. One second
she
will act normal and loving towards my other cat the next second I turn my
back and she is literally screaming at him. I have never seen or heard
her
act like this. I have checked her and see know injuries on her body. She
is
eating and using the bathroom. I should note that they usually are best
friends spending practically every minute together, but in the last few
days
I have kept them in separate rooms. Any ideas?

Well, has be been acting like an asshole lately? Because she sounds like me
and my friend Barry.

Just kidding.

Are there windows she can see out of where she might see another cat and
take it out on your boy? Something called "misdirected aggression?"

Old November 15th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:15:44 -0500, "cybercat"
wrote:

[...]

That's what I was going to say. Our favorite felines are fairly
stupid. They'll see another cat and hiss at their friend. It's like
they don't even recognize them. Something like that seem to be going
on. Did one go to the vet? That sometimes is a trigger. Strange smells
freak them out.

Old November 15th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:31:57 GMT, "Buddy's Mom"

mogandfritz wrote:
I am dumbfounded any help would be great. I have two cats, a 5 year
old and 3 years old. The older is a male, the younger a female.
They are both fixed.

She did, you just missed it.

I wonder if this strange behavior is a female cat thing? There have a been
a few posts like this recently, but I've never seen anything like this with
any of my cats (all male).

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb
Old November 15th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mogandfritz

thanks for the help so far...i feel like her behavior came out of nowhere...
although just about an hour ago i noticed my male cat urinating on the floor,
just a small amount like he is marking his territory. he is neutered, aren't
they supposed to stop that? i have also noticed he goes to the litter box
constantly, this isn't normal...the thing is i dont know if my other cat's
crazy behavior is a result of her own hormones or maybe it is a response to
him.

Old November 15th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Hamblen

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:00:37 GMT, "mogandfritz" u29107@uwe wrote:

thanks for the help so far...i feel like her behavior came out of nowhere...
although just about an hour ago i noticed my male cat urinating on the floor,
just a small amount like he is marking his territory. he is neutered, aren't
they supposed to stop that? i have also noticed he goes to the litter box
constantly, this isn't normal...the thing is i dont know if my other cat's
crazy behavior is a result of her own hormones or maybe it is a response to
him.

It is a likely to be a urinary tract infection. They come on quickly.
The cat has urgency and incontinence caused by irritation of the
urinary tract. UTIs can trigger spraying behavior. Take the cat to
the vet. They'll check the urine, and blood if called for, and
prescribe treatment. Usually antiboitics clear up a simple infection.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old November 15th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:25:15 GMT, William Hamblen
wrote:

It is a likely to be a urinary tract infection. They come on quickly.
The cat has urgency and incontinence caused by irritation of the
urinary tract. UTIs can trigger spraying behavior. Take the cat to
the vet. They'll check the urine, and blood if called for, and
prescribe treatment. Usually antiboitics clear up a simple infection.

yep! And an infection might explain why the other cat is behaving
strangely. Infections smell awful, and even though a person probably can't
smell a UTI in a cat, I think another cat may be able to smell it just
fine.

Old November 16th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

m...
wrote:

It is a likely to be a urinary tract infection. They come on quickly.
The cat has urgency and incontinence caused by irritation of the
urinary tract. UTIs can trigger spraying behavior. Take the cat to
the vet. They'll check the urine, and blood if called for, and
prescribe treatment. Usually antiboitics clear up a simple infection.

yep! And an infection might explain why the other cat is behaving
strangely. Infections smell awful, and even though a person probably
can't
smell a UTI in a cat, I think another cat may be able to smell it just
fine.

--
Lynne

I hope the OP has contacted the vet by now about the boy peeing outside the
box. Urinary tract problems can be very dangerous in the boys.

Old November 16th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Catjoy via CatKB.com

Hi mogandfritz,

This sounds a lot like UTI/urinary tract infection. Please take the cat to
the vet ASAP to rule in/out UTI. UTI's are very uncomfortable and painful
for the cat. Let us know what happens and good luck.

Wendy wrote:
on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:25:15 GMT, William Hamblen

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]