Siamese going gray

Old November 16th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Siamese going gray

My 12 year old Traditional Siamese, who has looked like a kitten his
entire life, is quickly going gray on his body all of a sudden. :-( He
developed diabetes this year, probably as a result of the prednisone shots
he had to get to stop himself from scratching all his fur off around his
head and neck (he apparently is allergic to something, and this was the
second time in a couple of years he had the problem, but we never found
out what. It wasn't food - we switched him to rabbit - very expensive -
as per vet's instructions, and, after many months, with his fur back and
him back to normal, save for the diabetes, she suggested trying a sample
of the original food to see if that was the cause. It wasn't - no
reaction. The allergen must be something used in the house occasionally,
rather than food. So, we keep an eye on him. If the fur removal starts
again, we should be able to deduce what product we used in recent days
that we don't normally use.)

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old November 17th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Hi Alan,

Did he lose some fur? I have Siamese, and unless it's medical (which the
others will know more about) it could be one of several things. Firstly,
what colour is he? Many siamese darken with age, so this could be the cause
of the 'grayness' as the darkening is not as dark as the points, but a kind
of 'shading'. The other reason might be the fur loss; after losing fur
Siamese usually grow the replacement fur back darker. If he looks mottled or
patchy this would be why, and it will grow back normally after his next
seasonal moult. Now as for allergic reactions, I've never had any, but I
have modern Siamese which are slightly different to Traditionals. I have had
fur loss under stress, so look for any causes of stress, especially
territorial such as a neighbourhood cat terrorizing him through windows.
Check around your door and window frames for male cat spray (about 1ft from
the ground downwards); it smells metallic and glows under UV light. If there
is a spraying thing, either from him or outside from another cat, try
putting a door snake at the bottom of the offending door, and keeping him
away from offending windows until he settles down. Other allergies that
cause fur loss are detergents, flea allergy (quite common and even 1 flea
bite can set it off), floor cleaners, even room fresheners in some sensitive
cats. Have a look at his whole environment, and try and figure if anything
has changed, either stress-wise or allergen-wise. Anyway, I'm just throwing
ideas around. I don't know much about diabetes, but many of the others do
and I'm sure will have something of value to contribute. Best wishes for
your kitty
.net...

Old November 20th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

In , on 11/17/06
at 02:46 AM, "meeee" said:

Did he lose some fur? I have Siamese, and unless it's medical (which the
others will know more about) it could be one of several things. Firstly,

He'd lost fur before (allergy problems), but the fur grew back normally
colored.

He's a seal point, so he was dark.

what colour is he? Many siamese darken with age, so this could be the
cause of the 'grayness' as the darkening is not as dark as the points,
but a kind of 'shading'. The other reason might be the fur loss; after

No, this is going gray like an old man, or an old dog's muzzle.

[...]

Thanks for the ideas, but none fit the situation.

Old November 20th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

Thanks for the ideas, but none fit the situation.

Alan

Sorry I couldn't help, Alan. All I can suggest is that you pop into a
Siamese breeder forum; they will be more likely to have experience with it.

Here are a few I just googled
http://www.hawaiiforums.net/SiameseWorld/
http://www.siamesecatchat.com/
http://forums.cathobbyist.com/forum.php?catid=105

Here's an old style siamese site with lots of links, try some people from
there.
http://www.oldstylesiamese.com/