Sensitive stomach dry foods

Old November 19th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BZ

Default Sensitive stomach dry foods

I have a three-year-old male cat who has always had a puking problem.
We started him on Purina One's sensitive stomach dry food, and it seemed
to help for a while, but lately he's back to puking every day or so.
(His vomit, by the way, shows a lot of unchewed dry food, and I wonder
if the fact that he's swallowing it whole is part of the problem...)

Anyway, I'm wondering if people here have tried different sensitive
stomach dry foods and what worked best for your cat.

Thanks!
Old November 19th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"BZ" wrote in message
I have a three-year-old male cat who has always had a puking problem. We
started him on Purina One's sensitive stomach dry food, and it seemed to
help for a while, but lately he's back to puking every day or so. (His
vomit, by the way, shows a lot of unchewed dry food, and I wonder if the
fact that he's swallowing it whole is part of the problem...)

Anyway, I'm wondering if people here have tried different sensitive
stomach dry foods and what worked best for your cat.

Cat have to swallow dry food whole. They have no flat, crushing type teeth.
They swallow canned food whole, too, but it does not expand in their
stomachs.

When I started feeding my cats canned food they stopped vomiting. Why are
you insisting on dry?

If the answer is "convenience," well, it is not convenient cleaning up kitty
puke. Dry food expands in the stomach so if they eat it too fast, they hurl.
Your cat will do better on canned.

Old November 19th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BZ

cybercat wrote:

When I started feeding my cats canned food they stopped vomiting. Why are
you insisting on dry?

I give them dry and canned. They get canned food once a day, and have
dry food available if they want it. I have three cats; this one in
particular eats more dry food than the others.
Old November 19th 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

I agree with Cybercat. Stop feeding the dry and go to canned and you
won't have a problem. Besides canned is better for their kidney since
they will consume more water and dilute the urine. Free feeding isn't
a good idea either. Some will end up overweight.

Old November 20th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

"BZ" wrote in message

|| cybercat wrote:
||| When I started feeding my cats canned food they stopped vomiting.
||| Why are you insisting on dry?
|| I give them dry and canned. They get canned food once a day, and
|| have dry food available if they want it. I have three cats; this
|| one in particular eats more dry food than the others.

You have plenty of freshwater available?
Fur balls can also be a problem

I personally see nothing wrong with quality dry foods available with canned
and as you have found the cats show a preference water must be available for
cats/kittens all times

Googled a couple that contain *Lactobacillus casei*
Innova EVO (Canned)
Super5Mix Kitten (Dry)

Suggest you see if foods contain
*Lactobacillus casei*
this is a normal "intestinal flora" which cleans the intestinal tract.
If you go to your super market Grocery you should be able to get small
capsules of it, or milk drinks that you can also blend with food, best if
cat will drink directly. No need to keep doing this only if /when a cat is
showing digestive problems (This helps mammals clear blockages and is safe)
Will have cat going for a healthy number two in no time. Cats will appear
much more active and healthy afterwards

--

Petzl

Old November 22nd 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BZ

Petzl wrote:

Suggest you see if foods contain
*Lactobacillus casei*

Thanks, Petzl. I don't think it's an intestinal thing, though -- he
poops just fine, and he pukes too soon after eating for it to get very
far. And yes, there's always drinking water available. But I'll take a
look, and check with my vet too.
Old November 23rd 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FurrsomeThreesome

I've had more pukey cats than not.

I think the canned vs. dry is a YMMV thing - very dependent on the
particular cat and their issues. I find canned food is a waste of
money, though I feed them small amounts of it daily - it either gets
thrown up just like the kibble, or the fusspots won't eat it and it
dries to a crisp sitting in their dish all day.

My currently not pukey, but skinny underweight cat, will not eat
canned, period. He will eat kibble, and tiny bits of banana. That's
all he'll touch. He's off to the vet today, though for reasons
unrelated to puking.

Our best success has been to add a small does of hairball paste as a
daily or alternate-day supplement. One of my vets was very convinced
that even among those cats who inhale their kibble then barf, hair
content in the gut can be a contribution.

Oh, and about the comment that cats HAVE to swallow kibble whole - I am
not so sure. Many DO swallow kibble whole, but all 3 of mine are
definitely more than capable of crunching it up. One will actually
pick up a mouthful of kibble, remove it from the dish, crush it and
drop all the crumbs, then eat the crumbs.

I have another who spits the crumbs everywhere and even managed to
stick crushed kibble crumbs to the wall behind her dish. I DID have
one past cat, now departed, who would swallow everything whole and barf
it - canned included - and what helped for him was getting a food that
came in bigger kibbles with different shapes, not just the teeny round
pellets like Science Diet. MUCH reduced puking because he ate slower.

When in doubt, always check with your vet, but a little bit of a
hairball remedy wont' usually hurt them and might help.

Johanna

Old November 23rd 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Petzl

"FurrsomeThreesome" wrote in message
oups.com
|| BZ wrote:
||| Thanks, Petzl. I don't think it's an intestinal thing, though -- he
||| poops just fine, and he pukes too soon after eating for it to get
||| very far. And yes, there's always drinking water available. But
||| I'll take a look, and check with my vet too.

|| I've had more pukey cats than not.

Yep Cats get greedy and often do this

*Lactobacillus casei* Is a "normal" bacteria for both humans and Cats
By going to grocery fridge and buying a dose 50 cent bottle of YAKULT or
similar it provides billions of this beneficial bacteria, which sets about
cleaning the upper Intestine.

Because this bacteria also survives the stomach (Yogurt acidophilus
cultures don't, but are also very good) it cleans the lower intestinal tract
as well (It is known to deter cancer and prostate problems even fix but
absolutely necessary, safe and harmless)

Cats do get fur balls and not only feed from what you give them, they can
also (yuck) scavenge
By once in a while (2monthly) giving 50 cc's of your "YAKULT" 50 cent dose
will clean fur balls and whatever else from Cats gut (Ask vet for their
opinion)

--

Petzl