Innova Evo - Results???

Old November 25th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KittiKat

Default Innova Evo - Results???

Hi All,

Has anyone had experience with Innova Evo, dry and canned? I was
thinking of switching both my cat's over (both are on different foods).
One cat is on ZD for eosinophilic granuloma, the other cat is on SO
Royal Canin. Both cats have not significantly improved on either of
these diets, and if anything, being on two different foods has only
caused problems because as hard as I might try, both end up eating the
other's food on the odd occassion, which, of course causes all kinds of
problems i.e. allergic breakouts, urinary problems. Also, not too happy
with ZD's preservatives, and, the fact that new studies suggest that
dry is superior to canned, as far as oral health goes. The cat on the
ZD will not eat the canned ZD (I won't either the stuff is AWFUL) and
therefore, is she eats nothing but strictly dry, has been the last 6
years, which I feel may be resulting in the stomatitis and gum
inflammation and some reasearch I've been doing about the condition. At
any rate any thoughts on this food, experiences, would be great.

Thanks

Old November 26th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey Weinberger

Last winter I gave our semi-feral outside cat the dry Evo because of its
lack of grains (She gets a 1/4 can wet food twice a day as well). She put
on a lot of weight in a hurry! The label said you can feed less of it but I
can't imagine a cat would feel full on half the amount s/he would normally
get. After the bag was used up I switched her back to California Natural.

Of my two indoor cats one has chronic IBD and can't eat any foods with
either grain or vegetable in it and the other has chronic FLUTD. They are
both on canned Wysong Au Jus Turkey and Chicken and I add salmon oil and
Instincts TC supplement for raw diet and do very well (knock on wood) with
no recurrences of either problem.

Stacey

ps.com...

Old November 26th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I have a cat with food allergies (or at least that's what my vet thinks).
He develops sores on his mouth. I read somewhere that it may be the grains
in the food that causes the problem. I tried feeding my cat foods without
grains, including the Innova Evo. He still developed the sores. The only
thing that concerned me about the Innova Evo was the high amount of protein.

Now I feed my cat Natural Balance venison and peas. It comes in canned and
dry and I buy it at Petco. It is the same type of limited ingredient food
that you would get from your vet designed for cats with food allergies.
He's been eating the Natural Balance for almost 2 months now and no mouth
sores! So I think this is working.

Sue

Old November 26th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

blkcatgal wrote:
I have a cat with food allergies (or at least that's what my vet thinks).
He develops sores on his mouth. I read somewhere that it may be the grains
in the food that causes the problem. I tried feeding my cat foods without
grains, including the Innova Evo. He still developed the sores. The only
thing that concerned me about the Innova Evo was the high amount of protein.

Now I feed my cat Natural Balance venison and peas. It comes in canned and
dry and I buy it at Petco. It is the same type of limited ingredient food
that you would get from your vet designed for cats with food allergies.
He's been eating the Natural Balance for almost 2 months now and no mouth
sores! So I think this is working.

Sue

Hi Sue,

My cat had suspected IBD and probably food allergies. The vet also put
him a novel protein and carb like your cat is getting now. The allergies
aren't always the grain, it's sometimes the protein or other ingredients.

Here's an excerpt from a website:
---------------------
Several studies have shown that some very common pet food ingredients
are more likely to cause food allergies than others. In cats, the most
common offenders are fish, beef, and dairy products.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...id=297&aid=542
---------------------

Glad your cat is doing better.

Rhonda

Old November 27th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KittiKat

Thanks All!

I like the WYSONG website and found a dealer not far from me, so I am
going to drop in there probably Tuesday. I am finding the whole thing
very confusing, as to what to feed, how to rotate, what to supplement,
etc., I am sure the dealer can help figure this out.

Right now, my little cat is totally off her SO Royal Canin, no way will
she eat it. I've tried everything to get her to eat! It is the food
because she'd eat dry if she could get her mouth on it - 2 days ago,
she actually hid in the bedroom where I feed the other cat dry ZD. Sure
enough I notice she is NO where to be found, I go into the bedroom and
there she is, polishing off the other cat's dry kibble, an entire bowl.
Now she is sick, lethargic and basically unhappy - she's done this
before and become funky. She hates the canned Royal Canin, but the vet
has told me no dry food for her, so she can't even have the dry Royal
Canin.

Anywho...I bought some Wellness canned Chicken and she totally pigged
out on this - I only gave her a couple of tablespoons, and she ate it
no problem, she'd have the entire can if I gave it to her. BUT I just
read Wellness can give some cats the runs because of the veggies??
Anyway, my vet is only big on the food sold in her practice, and my cat
has tried every canned variety here with no luck - there is nothing
really left, other than switching her to "non" friendly urinary food. I
am not even sure what actually caused the stone attack in the first
place - She only developed stones once, she was on the ZD Dry for
feline (for no other reason other than convience that the other cat was
on it, vet said it would be ok for her to eat it too). For whatever
reason, 3 months later, she had UTI symptoms, and the vet found a very
high crystal count (this was at six months of age). This is when she
was switched Canned Royal Canin -She hasn't had an attack since, but,
then again, any wet food may have prevented this from happening (she is
not a big water drinker). I am sort of at witts end - the cat can't not
eat, and she is thin to begin with (7-8 pounds).

Does any one feed raw??? I am hoping to eventually go to Raw? I've just
got Pitcairn's latest book and will read it tonight. I have his first
version, which he states you can either cook the meat or leave it raw?
Anyone try Raw???

Old November 27th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey Weinberger

With Sebastian (the one with the chronic FLUTD) I add a little bit of water
to his canned food so it has the consistency of a bowl of oatmeal. This is
what his surgeon recommended to increase his water intake.

I was this short of trying the BARF diet on Julian because everything else
gave him the runs and gas. I learned about the Wysong from an IBD list and
so far it has worked. The Wysong Call of the Wild powder was too rough on
his system and it wasn't cat specific. I think they make one called Biotic
ph plus something for cats with UTIs.

Stacey

oups.com...

Old November 27th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ben Goren

KittiKat wrote:

Anyone try Raw???

I don't...but, then again, my Joanie died several weeks ago and
it's only been the past week or two that I've started to
investigate raw feeding. When my next cat and I find each other,
I'll very likely do raw feeding -- which a big part of the reason
why she'll be a kitten.

The consistent claims I've come across for raw feeding is that it
solves exactly the sorts of problems you described. It also makes
sense to me, in a gut-feeling sort of way, that commercial foods
should cause those kinds of problems.

The cat nutrition site that makes the most sense to me that I've
come across so far is:

http://catinfo.org/

There're plenty of people who advocate /not/ grinding meat,
too. While they have good points, I don't think those points
are appropriate for the (relatively) large prey used for raw
cat food. I can easily see buying bags of frozen mice (like
what's usually sold for feeding reptiles) and serving them
(thawed and gently warmed, of course) to a cat whole. But
chicken? Rabbit? Those bones need a bit of grinding for a
housecat, I should think.

Cheers,

b&

--
EAC Memographer
BAAWA Knight of Blasphemy

Old November 27th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KittiKat

From what I have read, Raw makes the most sense. Now, I grapple with
telling my vet - who I am sure will not be too impressed. I am almost
*scared* to switch my two cats over to what I know is a better diet for
both of them...I think the vet has me brainwashed into believing
commercial prescription food is the best choice. When I look at my
choices, the only other route I have to take with both my cats, is more
drugs, more anitbiotics, more corticosteroids...more medical
intervention that may never really clear up the granuloma, stomatitis,
UTI's etc etc - skin, mouth, bladder problems. It is a never ending
problem. Pitcairn's book is very insightful - I think I will either go
with Stacey's routine of feeding her cats the canned WYSONG and
supplement with the Instinct TC. Once I feel more comfortable with
altering the food, hopefully I'll get the guts to buy the raw diet for
a couple of weeks and see what happens - it will probably take them
that long to adjust. If this goes over ok, I'll switch to making it
myself.

Jo