HELP!!! Cat won't eat..drink..what can I do?

Old November 27th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cortney75 via CatKB.com

Default HELP!!! Cat won't eat..drink..what can I do?

I have two cats, one of which is not happy with me and my husband right now.
To help explain it started about started 6 months ago when my husband and I
adopted a puppy. We knew she would not be that happy but knew she would get
over it. Well for the next 3 months she grounded herself to my step sons
bedroom, where their food and litter box was. Then in September we moved to
a new house. Once here at this new house she started coming out more and more.
But it really seemed like she was not eating much. But since she was moving
out and about and not grounding herself to one room we did not seem to
worried because I know she was eating and know she was drinking water, to
this cat water is her treat, always has been since she was a kitten. Well 3
days ago we got two foster dogs to help out the organization that we got our
puppy from. Well now she has really grounded herself, I don't think in the
past three days until this AM she has left our bedroom. I am happy she was
out this AM, it tells me she is adjusting to the two new dogs, but as soon as
I let them out of their crate within a few minutes she was back under our bed.
Now these dogs are smalled then our dog and they do not bother my other cat,
which the scared one has seen. So my question to everyone will a cat starve
herself to death or will she eat? She is not depressed because she is still
loving up on my husband and I when we are in the bedroom and plays when we
bring out her toys. Since we got the fosters I have only had to fill their
food bowl once this AM, usually I have to fill it everyday. Nor has she
really drank any water, until today? Any suggestions other then get rid of
the fosters. That is the last resort I want to take, specially since we are
thinking of adopting one of them. Thank you for any help...

A frustrated fur mommy in FL!

Old November 27th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Niel Humphreys

"Cortney75 via CatKB.com" u29637@uwe wrote in message
[...]

Get rid of the dogs. Unless cats have been around dogs more or less from
birth they rarely will accept these noisy fas moving things disrupting their
peace and quiet & it's not really fair on your kitty stressing her out like
this. She's probably off her food due to stress and fear.
--

Niel H

Old November 27th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

The dogs are stressing her. Also, she should be checked by a vet to rule out
a medical problem. Both could be going on at the same time.
Gail
"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...

Old November 27th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Your cat needs to feel safe. Until you can work out a secure situation
for her, I would put food and water under the bed where she is. Also put
a litter box in that room. If she stops eating and drinking, you will
have an even bigger problem on your hands.

You might pinch the skin on the back of her neck into a tent and see if
it pops back quickly when you let go. If it goes down slowly, she may
already be dehydrated. I agree with Gail that she may need to go to the
vet anyway, to make sure nothing else is wrong.

It sounds like you like dogs, but it appears that it is not working out
for this cat. I would not bring home any fosters unless they are
completely separated from the cat (like another floor of the house at
least.)

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old November 27th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cortney75 via CatKB.com

Thank you everyone for your help!

I think I will be taking her to the Vet this week, she has not been eating
much for awhile now and she is in safe rooms. Both the bedrooms here are
baby gated so only the cats can go in and out. I love cats and dogs...always
have had cats growing up and well just got my dog this year and well feel in
love with them too. I know she is stressed but she knows she is safe when in
one of the rooms.

I don't know what else to do and I really don't want to get rid of the dogs,
so I will go to the vet and see what he says. Our old vet before we moved
said she would get used to them since she is still young, only a little over
a year old.

Thank you all again...any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!