Christmas Tree

Old December 3rd 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Christmas Tree

Well we just got our Christmas tree today and Clyde has already
explored all around it. We know for a fact that when we put ornaments
on the tree that he will be going crazy and playing with them all the
time. I was just wondering if there is anyway to stop him from doing
this? Is there anything we can do or maybe teach him to stay away? (I
doubt we can teach him)

Old December 3rd 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 2006-12-03, wrote:

Well we just got our Christmas tree today and Clyde has already
explored all around it. We know for a fact that when we put ornaments
on the tree that he will be going crazy and playing with them all the
time. I was just wondering if there is anyway to stop him from doing
this? Is there anything we can do or maybe teach him to stay away? (I
doubt we can teach him)Close the doors to the tree room and keep them that way?

I've never had much trouble with grown cats playing with the
tree. Kittens, on the other hand ...

Bud

Well I don't want to have to keep him away all the time because the
tree is in the living room.

Old December 3rd 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 19:23:41 -0800, Flare739 wrote:

Well we just got our Christmas tree today and Clyde has already
explored all around it. We know for a fact that when we put ornaments
on the tree that he will be going crazy and playing with them all the
time. I was just wondering if there is anyway to stop him from doing
this? Is there anything we can do or maybe teach him to stay away? (I
doubt we can teach him)

When my grandchildren were small, the parents put the Christmas tree in
the playpen to keep the kids away from it. Got a playpen? MLB
Old December 3rd 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tiger Girrl

I used to provide sacrificial ornaments for my cat. My good stuff I'd
hang to within a few feet of the floor, and then at the bottom of the
tree I'd hang some cheap bells & sparkly things that I bought for the
purpose (cat mischief). I'd scold him to leave the tree alone, he'd wait
until I wasn't looking, then sneak up under the tree and steal one of
those decorations. I'd wait for a while, then "discover" the theft,
make a big deal out of it, put it back on the tree - making sure he
could see me do so. Lather, rinse repeat for a week or two, after which
he got tired of the tree just like any other cat toy.

I did have to make sure that the hook was more firmly affixed to the
tree than the ornament. We did that for fifteen years. It seemed to
satisfy his needs to mess with the tree and to get away with something.
It definitely satisfied my needs to have the "messing with" be
somewhat confined...

Old December 3rd 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Tiger Girrl" wrote in message
I used to provide sacrificial ornaments for my cat.

hahahaha! "Sacrificial ornaments!!!!"

I like your style.

Old December 4th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well we just got our Christmas tree today and Clyde has already
explored all around it. We know for a fact that when we put ornaments
on the tree that he will be going crazy and playing with them all the
time. I was just wondering if there is anyway to stop him from doing
this? Is there anything we can do or maybe teach him to stay away? (I
doubt we can teach him)

One year when we had two or three kittens we bought a bunch of toy mice and
attached them firmly to the tree with mouse traps, no less, and then let
them have at it! No breakables and it was a great success! As they've
gotten older (and the rest of my troup as well) they don't seem all that
interested. Most of my decorations are not breakable and I don't leave the
breakables too close to the bottom.

Bonnie

Old December 4th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

On Dec 3, 11:33 pm, "22brix" wrote:
wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Well we just got our Christmas tree today and Clyde has already
explored all around it. We know for a fact that when we put ornaments
on the tree that he will be going crazy and playing with them all the
time. I was just wondering if there is anyway to stop him from doing
this? Is there anything we can do or maybe teach him to stay away? (I
doubt we can teach him)

One year when we had two or three kittens we bought a bunch of toy mice and
attached them firmly to the tree with mouse traps, no less, and then let
them have at it! No breakables and it was a great success! As they've
gotten older (and the rest of my troup as well) they don't seem all that
interested. Most of my decorations are not breakable and I don't leave the
breakables too close to the bottom.

Bonnie

Yes, I'd say just put the breakables up where the kitten can't reach
them. Our cats were only interested in Christmas trees and ornaments
when they were kittens. Once grown up they adopted the usual "been
there done that" attitude and after sniffing the tree once or twice
when it is freshly put up, they ignore it. If it's a live tree just
make sure you cover the tree stand so that he can't get to the water--I
read that drinking water with tree sap in it is not good for kitties.
We just use a tree skirt and fasten it over the stand, lifting up a
flap to refill it.

Also, make sure the tree is mounted sturdily. When I was a kid, one
Christmas we came home one afternoon to find the tree on its side and
our two 3 month old kittens clinging to the top of the tree mewing. You
wouldn't think a couple of kittens could topple a tree but somehow they
did.
-yngver