On Ferals

Old December 5th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default On Ferals

http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/TNRnotTNA.pdf

Old December 5th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/TNRnotTNA.pdf

Interesting, and there is definitely a need for this information. For
example, the shelter staff described my Gracie as "feral" when they found
her pregnant, but she is so gentle she not only seeks affection but will not
put her claws out when you hold her against her will. Though she was at the
shelter for four months, were she truly a feral adult I doubt they could
have socialized her in that time.

Old December 7th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"cybercat" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/TNRnotTNA.pdf

Interesting, and there is definitely a need for this information. For
example, the shelter staff described my Gracie as "feral" when they found
her pregnant, but she is so gentle she not only seeks affection but will

not
put her claws out when you hold her against her will. Though she was at

the
shelter for four months, were she truly a feral adult I doubt they could
have socialized her in that time.

Many if not most people- including the people who should know better- can't
differentiate a frightened lost cat/stray from an actual feral cat. A lot
of adoptable cats are killed because of this.

Old December 7th 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

cybercat wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/TNRnotTNA.pdf

Interesting, and there is definitely a need for this information. For
example, the shelter staff described my Gracie as "feral" when they found
her pregnant, but she is so gentle she not only seeks affection but will not
put her claws out when you hold her against her will. Though she was at the
shelter for four months, were she truly a feral adult I doubt they could
have socialized her in that time.

She was probably a stray. A feral is hard to miss if you know what to
look for.

-L.

Old December 7th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-L." wrote

She was probably a stray. A feral is hard to miss if you know what to
look for.

I imagine this is true. Sometimes people just like to use the more
dramatic word to describe them, maybe. People can be so weird.
Even from her shelter picture, I could see how polite she was. This
cat meows as she is approaching for loving, a series of quizzical
little mews, like she is asking permission. She had to be very
young, though, when they found her pregnant, because she had
been at the shelter for four months when I adopted her, had had
her kittens and been spayed. I could definitely see her being born
among humans and then dumped. Her brother was found with her
at the same trailer park, the lady said. Gracie only had two kittens,
both gray tabbies like her, and she nursed a third, who was
orphaned.

Old December 7th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Phil P." wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/TNRnotTNA.pdf

Interesting, and there is definitely a need for this information. For
example, the shelter staff described my Gracie as "feral" when they found
her pregnant, but she is so gentle she not only seeks affection but will

not
put her claws out when you hold her against her will. Though she was at

the
shelter for four months, were she truly a feral adult I doubt they could
have socialized her in that time.

Many if not most people- including the people who should know better-
can't
differentiate a frightened lost cat/stray from an actual feral cat. A lot
of adoptable cats are killed because of this.

What do you call cats who were born outside, have lived there all their
lives but have had dealings with humans. We picked up 4 brothers (approx. 9
mo old)recently who were born behind a restaurant. I don't know that anyone
could pet them while they were outside but they were feeding them... well
lol. One of the brothers came around rather quickly and is available for
adoption already. One looks like he's going to have to be put back because
he's not coming around at all and the jury is out on the other two. I'll get
an update this weekend. They haven't been aggressive but aren't getting past
the flat ears, cowering, scared cat point. The foster said she was going to
try separating them and see if there is any progress. If not they can get
returned where they came from as they do have a feeder in addition to the
tidbits the restaurant people put out for them. I just had to have a
discussion with them over feeding stuff with onions though.

http://www.savethecatsinc.com/animal...AnimalID=86110

Old December 8th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Annie Wxill

"Wendy" wrote in message
What do you call cats who were born outside, have lived there all their
lives but have had dealings with humans.

Hi Wendy,
How about calling them homeless?
Annie

Old December 8th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"Wendy" wrote in message
What do you call cats who were born outside, have lived there all their
lives but have had dealings with humans.

Hi Wendy,
How about calling them homeless?
Annie

If they're true ferals they aren't homeless.

Phil

Old December 8th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Wendy" wrote in message

What do you call cats who were born outside, have lived there all their
lives but have had dealings with humans.

Whatdaya mean by "had dealings with humans"?

We picked up 4 brothers (approx. 9
mo old)recently who were born behind a restaurant. I don't know that

anyone
could pet them while they were outside but they were feeding them... well
lol.

A lot of hard ferals will let their feeders touch them- even rub up against
them- but only their feeders.

One of the brothers came around rather quickly and is available for
adoption already. One looks like he's going to have to be put back because
he's not coming around at all and the jury is out on the other two.

Personality and temperment can vary greatly between littermates. Some cats
take longer than others to come around- could take several weeks to several
months or even a year or more- some cats never come around. You need to
find the right person who is willing to give the cat all the time he needs
without forcing themselves on the cat and understands and accepts the
possibility that the cat may never become a lap cat.

I'll get
an update this weekend. They haven't been aggressive but aren't getting

past
the flat ears, cowering, scared cat point. The foster said she was going

try separating them and see if there is any progress.

It doesn't seem like she has the patience- or maybe the time- to let the
cats come around in their own good time. Separating them is probably the
worst thing she could do. Ferals develop strong bonds with each
other-especially littermates. I think keeping them all together will make
the transition less stressful and traumatic.

If not they can get
returned where they came from as they do have a feeder in addition to the
tidbits the restaurant people put out for them. I just had to have a
discussion with them over feeding stuff with onions though.

http://www.savethecatsinc.com/animal...AnimalID=86110

How much time is the foster willing to invest in these cats? The feeder
would probably be a better choice and would probably make more progress
since the cats already know and probably trust her.

Phil

Taming Ferals Fat Freddy Cat anecdotes 12 February 15th 06 10:26 PM
Taming Ferals Yowie Cat anecdotes 0 February 12th 06 10:50 PM
Best spray flea medicine for ferals & best place to get advantage? anne mcdonough Cat health & behaviour 4 December 28th 04 08:13 PM
How far away can ferals smell scent of food? Sheri Cat health & behaviour 10 November 1st 04 05:07 AM
Getting one of my ferals to come back Sheri Cat rescue 0 November 1st 04 12:01 AM