Injured cat

Old December 9th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Injured cat

I am hoping that I can get any advice or guidance for my cat (Squeaky).
My cat got caught in my garage door - I took her to the emergency room
immediately & the vet told me that she has no broken bones & that her
spinal cord is fine. Squeaky drags both of her back legs. Her tail does
have some movement. I love her dearly, but I do not want to see her in
this condition. She has a tremendous appetite & has been able to go the
bathroom so I believe those are good signs. I have been told it may
take several weeks for her to recover. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old December 9th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

wrote:
I am hoping that I can get any advice or guidance for my cat (Squeaky).
My cat got caught in my garage door - I took her to the emergency room
immediately & the vet told me that she has no broken bones & that her
spinal cord is fine. Squeaky drags both of her back legs. Her tail does
have some movement. I love her dearly, but I do not want to see her in
this condition. She has a tremendous appetite & has been able to go the
bathroom so I believe those are good signs. I have been told it may
take several weeks for her to recover. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I believe that emergency vets are somewhat like human emergency rooms.
They're just not in business to care for longterm illnesses. They'll do
what they can to get your cat out of a crisis situation, then it's up
to you to see a regular vet.
Can you take her for to another vet for an evaluation? You might get a
much better idea what her prognosis is.
Try not to get discouraged if it's going to be a waiting game. I hope a
new vet can give you a better idea of what her quality of life really
is, whether she is in pain, or whether you'll see some gradual
improvement over time.
I had a cat who wasn't injured, but got so ill he did start dragging
his back legs. It's a heartbreaking thing to see. But you should see
him now, he's the picture of health. Don't lose hope yet.

Sherry

Old December 9th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I am planning to take her Monday to her vet (he won't see her until
then). That's the reason I was asking if anybody had a similiar
situation.

barb wrote:
You could get a second opinion, and I don't mean from a newsgroup. Another
qualified vet, maybe a good work-up. Some things do just get better. You
are right, however to be concerned.
--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old December 9th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am planning to take her Monday to her vet (he won't see her until
then). That's the reason I was asking if anybody had a similiar
situation.

Good idea. It might be reversible nerve damage, or really bad soft-tissue
injury. (Ever had a bad sprain? It is really only a bruise, but it hurts so
much
you really do not want to use the injured part, hence the dragging.) If it
is
a soft tissue injury, you and she are lucky, but they take a lonnnnng time
heal if cats are anything like humans.