cat wound

Old December 10th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob

Default cat wound

I have an outdoor semi-feral cat 3yrs old. She has gashes/wounds around her
tail, one on each hind hip, about a quarter in size. Happened about a week
ago, and I'm concerned that she has an infection. She eats, but seems a
little lethargic compared to normal.

Ideas what might've happened?
Is there an animal that characteristically would attack her there?

bob

Old December 10th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sun 10 Dec 2006 05:10:52p, bob wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
news
I have an outdoor semi-feral cat 3yrs old. She has gashes/wounds
around her tail, one on each hind hip, about a quarter in size.
Happened about a week ago, and I'm concerned that she has an
infection. She eats, but seems a little lethargic compared to
normal.

Ideas what might've happened?
Is there an animal that characteristically would attack her
there?

bob

Cats will attack cats that way. I see it in mine, even just in
play. How friendly is your semi-feral? Are you able to capture her
to take her to the vet? She really need to get cleaned up, and
maybe be on an antibiotic. I have a semi-feral cat, and both of
those prospects are hard to think about, because she is still very
wild and will not be allowed to be caught for pilling or trips to
the vet. When it's time to take her, it's very stressful for both
of us.

--
Cheryl
Old December 11th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Sun 10 Dec 2006 05:10:52p, bob wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
news
I have an outdoor semi-feral cat 3yrs old. She has gashes/wounds
around her tail, one on each hind hip, about a quarter in size.
Happened about a week ago, and I'm concerned that she has an
infection. She eats, but seems a little lethargic compared to
normal.

Ideas what might've happened?
Is there an animal that characteristically would attack her
there?

bob

Cats will attack cats that way. I see it in mine, even just in
play. How friendly is your semi-feral? Are you able to capture her
to take her to the vet?

she's 3 yrs old, until 4 days ago when she received this wound, she was like
a housecat- picked her up every day, she was very affectionate (i'd have her
in the house except i have a 16yr old housecat)...but SINCE the wound, she's
afraid- she'll stand 3 ft from me while i put the food down.

She really need to get cleaned up, and
maybe be on an antibiotic. I have a semi-feral cat, and both of
those prospects are hard to think about, because she is still very
wild and will not be allowed to be caught for pilling or trips to
the vet. When it's time to take her, it's very stressful for both
of us.

will she need to be on an anbitiotic for a while, or do you think that the
vet can give a strong dose of it? I don't think that after catching her and
bringing to the vet (perhaps tomorrow) that she'll come close enough for a
while to pick up.......

bob

Old December 11th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:50:52 GMT, "bob" wrote:

will she need to be on an anbitiotic for a while, or do you think
that the vet can give a strong dose of it? I don't think that after
catching her and bringing to the vet (perhaps tomorrow) that she'll
come close enough for a while to pick up.......

the vet may be able to give a long acting shot of antibiotic. Be sure to
ask for this.

--
Lynne

Old December 11th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob

"Lynne" wrote in message
news
on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:50:52 GMT, "bob" wrote:

will she need to be on an anbitiotic for a while, or do you think
that the vet can give a strong dose of it? I don't think that after
catching her and bringing to the vet (perhaps tomorrow) that she'll
come close enough for a while to pick up.......

the vet may be able to give a long acting shot of antibiotic. Be sure to
ask for this.

it's a shame because she was extremely friendly til 3 days ago, like a
friendly housecat..i was thinking that either another cat or a raccoon did
it, but she's afraid of me now so then i was thinking a person might've done
something, but that'd be difficult IMO.

bob

Old December 11th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

When they are in pain, they are more skeptical. Please take her to a
vet tomorrow for antibiotics before she dies. Get a live trap if you
have to. Just get her to the vet.

bob wrote:
news

Old December 11th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 11 Dec 2006 01:00:50 GMT, "bob" wrote:

it's a shame because she was extremely friendly til 3 days ago, like a
friendly housecat..i was thinking that either another cat or a raccoon
did it, but she's afraid of me now so then i was thinking a person
might've done something, but that'd be difficult IMO.

she is probably in pain, which would explain her behavior. Have some soft
treats for her and give her small pieces of them on the way to and from the
vet's office. Consider setting up a room of her own after she sees the
vet, with food, water and a clean litter pan. Being warm and dry and safe
will help her heal, and she may come around to being friendly and trusting
again if you are patient with her.

--
Lynne

Old December 11th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sun 10 Dec 2006 08:00:50p, bob wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m:

it's a shame because she was extremely friendly til 3 days ago,
like a friendly housecat..i was thinking that either another cat
or a raccoon did it, but she's afraid of me now so then i was
thinking a person might've done something, but that'd be
difficult IMO.

I agree with Lynne's assessment, that your vet can administer a
long-acting antibiotic via syringe. But I haven't been offered that
with my semi-feral. You might think that these interactions will
cause even more of a barrier between you, but I think they break
down the wall. I've had my semi-feral in my house for 3 years now
(almost). With each interaction, or yearly vet visit captures, or
even with people coming in my house that she's not used to, it is a
shorter and shorter time that she comes out of hiding.

If you have to do antibiotics, try mixing it with baby food (meat,
no onion) and hand feed it to her on a spoon or popcicle stick.

--
Cheryl

Old December 11th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

bob wrote:
will she need to be on an anbitiotic for a while, or do you think that the
vet can give a strong dose of it? I don't think that after catching her and
bringing to the vet (perhaps tomorrow) that she'll come close enough for a
while to pick up.......

Bob, talk to the vet about your cat's situation and giving medicine. She
may have to be on a course for 10 days or so and you'll need a plan.

We have a semi-feral who needed antibiotics not long after he arrived.
Trying to get a pill down him was tearing both of us apart. The vet
suggested a liquid antibiotic that is compounded into a meat flavor.
Some pharmacies do that for pets. The chicken gravy flavor mixed in with
chicken wet food worked like a charm!

If it has to be a pill, there is something called Pill Pockets at
PetSmart or Petco. It's a soft cat treat with a hole in the middle. You
stick in the pill and mold the treat around it. It worked on our cat
about 2 times, but then he figured it out. It works better on some cats.

Good luck tomorrow,

Rhonda

Old December 12th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lulu

Hi Bob,
So sorry to hear your cat was injured. The injury sounds as if she was
chased, caught from behind and possibly
pinned down at the haunches but was able to struggle free. My cat
escaped a coyote attack in a new subdivision
where we had just moved into a newly built home. A large dog could do
the same thing. My cat had tears through her skin so that flaps of
skin showed the flesh bare underneath. They were about a quarter in
size as you described.
Your cat will be lethargic because she is bruised and sore. Does the
cat have a fever? You can tell easily if her head is hot and she won't
eat or drink. If no fever there is no infection. If the wounds are
healing on their own, there is no pus and no fever, your beautiful
creature will recover with some peace, quiet, dimly lit room, and TLC.
If you have the funds, I would take her to the vet to rule out internal
injuries with Xray. Other than that just trust in Nature's ability to
heal her own.
All the best,
Lu