Now feeding outdoor cats

Old December 20th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Now feeding outdoor cats

The other day there was a cat in the bushes outside my house when I
walked past. He (I'll assume He so I don't call it an it) didn't run
away as I expected, just retreated a bit. It was dark but he appeared
to be a big orange guy. When I looked out a few minutes later, he was
sitting on the walkway looking back at me. So, I opened up a can of
something that my cats are too picky to eat (Trader Joe turkey and
giblets I think) and put half outside for him. A little while later
the food, and he, were gone.

The next night I put out the other half. I never saw a cat but it was
soon gone also. The next night I graduated to putting out the whole
can. That went. There are around three outdoor cats in my neighborhood
so someone is getting some food out of the deal. Last night I added
some treats that my cats don't like. It all went.

I'm about to run out of the food that my guys won't eat, so it looks
like I'll be buying food for the outside kittys from now on. But with
feeding sort of comes some responsibility.

I have no idea whether these cats belong to anyone or whether they are
strays or feral.. That first one certainly didn't seem feral. I was
only a few feet away from him. Someone is apparently marking the area,
judging by a whiff I've noticed. Not stinky enough to be annoying but
my boys suspect that I'm being unfaithful. So I guess someone isn't
fixed.

I suppose I'll keep feeding them and see where it goes. I hadn't
intended to go the trap, neuter, release route but maybe.
Old December 20th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

dgk wrote:
[...]

What a nice post to read. I almost regained my faith in humanity.
Almost.
SO MANY people are willing to feed strays. It's not a big deal. What
*is* a big deal, is that hardly anyone assumes responsibility for them
when they start feeding them. That's the way it ought to be. You start
feeding a cat regualarly, and basically it becomes your cat.
I think it's great that you're thinking ahead to neutering them. Good
luck with that.

Sherry

Old December 20th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

I started feeding stray and niegnborhood cats the same way.

I started with a couple that I knew were strays and soon was up to 4
strays at one time. Then the nieghborhood cats that supposedly
belonged to people learned that they could get a free meal. I am down
to one stray right now but I suppose before long another stray will
learn that the cafeteria is open. That is usually the way it happens.
I usually go through at least 4 24 can cases of the large cans a
months not to mention the dry.

Over the years I have rehomed several and have had to have a couple
put down due to illness and injuries. The older ones I try to provide
a place where they can get shelter and where I can put their food and
dogs can not get it all. Luckily there are several abandoned houses
they can get shelter in / under for the winter.

I have been doing this for at least 5 years and whenever it looks like
there are no more strays coming another one shows up and I have to
keep doing it.

Good luck to you and I just have a bit of advice. If you or anyone
else does not plan on keeping feeding them do not start and get them
used to it then stop. It is no good for them.

Old December 20th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"dgk" wrote in message
[...]

You can do a web search for low cost spay / neuter. There are resources out
there to help financially with neutering stray/feral cats. Please do it.

Old December 21st 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

You can do a web search for low cost spay / neuter. There are resources out
there to help financially with neutering stray/feral cats. Please do it.

This is also the case in uk too.If you take a stray cat to them that
you are feeding,they are more than happy to issue with vouchers to take
to your vet who will perform it for either half of the cost,or,in some
cases 100% of the cost,depending on your circumstances.(cat protection
league)
I think it is wonderful that you are feeding them,but do think on the
neutering issue so that you can stop 52 cats coming to dinner next
year.Do not take this as a chastisment in any way at all-I am talking
from personal experience here.
I feed around 15-20 cats most of the time,unless I manage to home a few
of them of course...but it is true, once you feed them,they believe
that they belong to you & will all come back to you (or vice versa
lol).But the more we can do to stop this terrible predicament, the
betteroff your guys will be,I assure you!!
Good Luck, & it would be great to hear that you have done them.Please
let us know how you get on?(If you are in the usa,I believe thart you
have something called the humane society????Try them,I am sure that
they will be pleased that you brought these cats to them & will help
you ourt if they can,ok?
S.
S.

Old December 21st 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

[...]

Here the local Michigan Humane Society will issue a voucher for a free
spay / neuter that you take to you vet. Any extra meds for at homw or
such the owner has to cover if they want them.

Old December 21st 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On 20 Dec 2006 07:00:52 -0800, wrote:

dgk wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who have written. I think I could talk my vet into doing
some cheap fixes, but the problem is how to catch them. My actual
amount of land out front is very small, and I don't feed any in the
back because it's fenced in so my cats don't get out.

Physically, I'd have to put a trap pretty much in the open, and there
are a large number of pedestrians sometimes. The area under the bush
where I put the food is not large. Maybe large enough for a trap
though.

They only seem to be around at night so I'd have to trap one and take
care of it in the morning. The poor thing would be going crazy all
night though. Plus, I can really only do it on the weekends since I go
to work early. I'll see where I can get a trap.
Old December 21st 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

"dgk" wrote in message
[snip]
They only seem to be around at night so I'd have to trap one and take
care of it in the morning. The poor thing would be going crazy all
night though. Plus, I can really only do it on the weekends since I go
to work early. I'll see where I can get a trap.

FWIW when I trapped a neighborhood stray last
December, it was around 5 PM and I left her in
the carrier all night (inside the house, so she was
warm) and took her to the vet first thing next
morning (7:30 AM). I had put cardboard and
shredded newspaper in the bottom of the
carrier. That showed use when I got her back
the next afternoon.

She was fine. If you can keep the cat safe
in the trap - from other animals, humans,
weather, etc. - I don't think it would be a
major problem to have it confined overnight.

My stray was quite healthy before (and after)
I trapped her, though, so that could make a
difference.

Gail F.

Old December 21st 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:58:07 GMT, kraut
wrote:

[...]

I spoke to the ASPCA. They gave me the number for a local chapter of
Neighborhood Cats (www.neighborhoodcats.com) that gives a one day
course in TNR. I didn't realize that it was so complicated. Anyway,
once I complete the course, I can borrow traps from the ASPCA.

Apparently I get the traps a few days before the ASPCA truck is
scheduled to visit my area, and whatever cats I trap, I keep inside,
in the trap, until the big day. After the surgery, I keep then another
few days and then release them. I read that talking to them does not
calm down truly feral cats; the best thing to do is just keep a cover
over the cage and leave them alone. I don't know if these cats are
feral or just strays. Or even someone's pet.

Doesn't sound too horrible but it needs planning. And I really can't
figure where I'll put the traps. I may need to enlist the help of a
neighbor. She is very old and sick, and doesn't get out of the house
much. But she has a deck in her backyard, only about a half-foot off
the ground, and I've seen cats go under there. As well as an oppossum.
If I can get the traps set up in her yard, then this might work out.
Old December 21st 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:31:57 GMT, dgk wrote:

I spoke to the ASPCA. They gave me the number for a local chapter of
Neighborhood Cats (www.neighborhoodcats.com) that gives a one day
course in TNR. I didn't realize that it was so complicated. Anyway,
once I complete the course, I can borrow traps from the ASPCA.

Fantastic! What a wonderful thing you are doing!! The idea of asking your
neighbor if you can set the traps in her yard sounds like a good plan.

--
Lynne