My Male Cats are ruining Christmas!!!!

Old December 21st 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
lndsy

Default My Male Cats are ruining Christmas!!!!

I have two male cats that are indore out dore cats and they are both
sparaying the Christmas tree!!! There both fixed and they don't spray inside
all year but every year come Christmas time they start spraying the Christmas
tree and PRESENTS!!!!! I don't know what to do. I am planing on trying some
of the over the counter stuff but my husban wont get his check for a few days
and they can do a lot of damage in that amount of time. Is there anything
that I can do now? And how do I get rid of the smell after that? Its killing
me!

Old December 21st 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 21 Dec 2006 02:40:19 GMT, "lndsy" u30391@uwe wrote:

I have two male cats that are indore out dore cats and they are both
sparaying the Christmas tree!!! There both fixed and they don't spray
inside all year but every year come Christmas time they start spraying
the Christmas tree and PRESENTS!!!!! I don't know what to do. I am
planing on trying some of the over the counter stuff but my husban
wont get his check for a few days and they can do a lot of damage in
that amount of time. Is there anything that I can do now? And how do I
get rid of the smell after that? Its killing me!

Live tree? If so, consider investing in a nice artificial tree. Many are
on sale already (if you are in the US). I just got a 10.5', prelit very
beautiful tree from Home Depot for under $200. You can get shorter,
equally nice trees for under $100. Take care of them and they last
forever, so the cost over time is pretty minimal. Also, the risk of
burning down your house goes to about nil.

For now, try a Feliway diffuser next to the tree, and put the gifts in a
closet away from the object of their "affection." Personally, I'd take the
tree down in a heartbeat.

--
Lynne

Old December 21st 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 20 Dec 2006 09:58:31p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
om:

, and put the gifts in a
closet away from the object of their "affection." Personally,
I'd take the tree down in a heartbeat.

I haven't had a tree in a few years. My old place was too small for a
regular tree, but now in my own house, I quit trying to put up a tree
after having to right it every day, and found broken glass ornaments
that scared me. All of my cats are 5 years old or younger, so a tree
with ornaments would be a great plaything. Even my wrapped presents
are in rooms inaccessible to them.

I sort of like the idea that I saw on someone's blog - a tree hung
from the ceiling decorated with cat toys.

Don't know what to suggest about the spraying, but if it causes that
behavior, I wouldn't have one.

--
Cheryl
Old December 21st 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 21 Dec 2006 03:10:06 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

I haven't had a tree in a few years. My old place was too small for a
regular tree, but now in my own house, I quit trying to put up a tree
after having to right it every day, and found broken glass ornaments
that scared me. All of my cats are 5 years old or younger, so a tree
with ornaments would be a great plaything. Even my wrapped presents
are in rooms inaccessible to them.

I've always had cats and kids, so I don't have glass ornaments. Most of
ours are wood or fabric, some molded plastic. The cats love to play with
the ornaments, and I don't mind hanging them back up. We even have some
wood puppet ornaments, the kind where if you pull the string between
their legs their arms go up and down, and the cats LOVE those. Of course
there is no tinsel on the tree. I get a kick out of finding them
sleeping in or under the tree and batting little santas or snowment
around the house, hehe.

Gifts on the other hand are in a closet. My mom left one under the tree
and the cats and/or dog unwrapped it.

I sort of like the idea that I saw on someone's blog - a tree hung
from the ceiling decorated with cat toys.

Interesting. I saw an upside down tree at Home Depot!

Don't know what to suggest about the spraying, but if it causes that
behavior, I wouldn't have one.

Amen. I wouldn't even think twice about taking down the tree or whatever
object that caused spraying. Ew.

--
Lynne

Old December 21st 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
santa claus

lndsy wrote:
I have two male cats that are indore out dore cats and they are both
sparaying the Christmas tree!!!

haaaaaaaaaaaa hahahaha that's what male cats do
haaaaaaaaaaa hahaha

OR! next time they do it grab a present and try to kill them

Old December 21st 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
santa claus

Lynne wrote:

Live tree? If so, consider investing in a nice artificial tree.

what part of no paychec didnt register Lynne?

not just an artificial tree BUT A NICE ONE?

yeah! ok! maybe I can get one on sale next to the happy cat spray

Old December 21st 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cheryl_is_freak

Lynne wrote:

For now, try a Feliway diffuser next to the tree, and put the gifts in a
closet away from the object of their "affection." Personally, I'd take the
tree down in a heartbeat.

--
Lynne

fixing my wig

what part of NO PAYCHEC DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND BITCH

Old December 21st 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 21 Dec 2006 05:38:36 GMT, "cheryl_is_freak"
wrote:

what part of NO PAYCHEC DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND BITCH

because taking the tree down costs money?

plonk

--
Lynne

Old December 21st 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

lndsy wrote:
I have two male cats that are indore out dore cats and they are both
sparaying the Christmas tree!!! There both fixed and they don't spray inside
all year but every year come Christmas time they start spraying the Christmas
tree and PRESENTS!!!!! I don't know what to do. I am planing on trying some
of the over the counter stuff but my husban wont get his check for a few days
and they can do a lot of damage in that amount of time. Is there anything
that I can do now? And how do I get rid of the smell after that? Its killing
me!

Take the tree down. Or move it to a room where the cats can't get to
it. They won't stop spraying now. They've already marked it and made it
a target. There's no way you're going to stop that.... If you really,
really just want a tree and can't afford an artificial one right now,
you can "top" the tree down to 3-feet, sit your little tree on a table,
so it is much higher than butt-height, and you will have cut away the
parts that are marked. Just an idea. (and a lot of trouble, I know--I'd
probably just do away with the thing and remember next year NOT to put
another live one up)

Sherry