Arizona ferals: can they handle the cold ?

Old December 21st 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

Default Arizona ferals: can they handle the cold ?

We have about a dozen ferals that live in and around our backyard here
in Phoenix, Arizona. It doesn't get really cold here (the low last
night was about 32 degrees), but I am wondering why the cats won't come
into the house (my wife had a cat window installed in our backroom) ?

We are thinking of putting an electric blanket outside for them; would
that benefit them at all ?

Thanks.

Old December 21st 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Does the window have a flap? If so, you need to tie it up and put on the
other side of it (inside) to train them.
Gail
ups.com...

Old December 21st 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

I'm not exactly sure what you mean; the cat window is exactly like a
doggie door; the cats can come and go as they please.

Old December 21st 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Yes, but does it have a cat flap that is down? Most cats need to be taught
how to go through the cat flap.
Gail
ps.com...

Old December 21st 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

Oddly enough, most of our ferals know how to use the cat flap; I just
worry that the ones that won't/don't use it might be too cold, so we
are going to get a few of those pads that recirculate the cat's own
body heat.

Old December 22nd 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

You can provide shelter for them by purchasing or making a weather proof
structure (those igloo dog houses are cheap). Place straw inside and you can
use the snuggle safe pads (heated in the microwave and wrapped in a towel)
to further keep them warm. You are wonderful to care for them.

?

Old December 22nd 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

My wife actually bought a queen-sized electric blanket for the cats,
and they seem to love it.

I feel like I need to look after these cats; they give me such joy just
by being cats !

I love them like they're my children, which makes it all the more
difficult to lose one.

On Monday past, two wild dogs mauled one of our ferals to death, and I
was powerless to help him, though I kicked at the dogs and some
neighbors also tried to scare them away by "strafing" them with their
truck.

They took off with my poor "Booty," and haven't been seen since, though
I have made a report to the Animal Control, and I also made a "911"
call.

I have been in shock ever since; my heart was broken a little.

Thank you for caring, too.

Old December 22nd 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

Gail wrote:
Does the window have a flap? If so, you need to tie it up and put on
the
other side of it (inside) to train them.
Gail
"UsedtobeRumouredToBe" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have about a dozen ferals that live in and around our backyard
here
in Phoenix, Arizona. It doesn't get really cold here (the low last
night was about 32 degrees), but I am wondering why the cats won't
come
into the house (my wife had a cat window installed in our backroom)
?

We are thinking of putting an electric blanket outside for them;
would
that benefit them at all ?

Thanks.

That is terrible! I am so sorry about Booty. Be sure to follow up with
Animal Control. The dogs could be rabid. MLB

Old January 1st 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

That is terrible! I am so sorry about Booty. Be sure to follow up
with
Animal Control. The dogs could be rabid. MLB

I have called as well as e-mailed the local Animal Control, and they
have yet to respond.

The other night (the 29th), very early in the morning, FIVE wild dogs
were tearing around outside our home, and I saw that they had killed
yet another stray cat.

This was at about 4:AM, so I couldn't call the Animal Control people,
and the vile dogs more or less took off again.

Outside of getting some mace (where would I get that) to spray in their
eyes, I don't know what else to do, and I fear for the other stray cats
in our area, particularly the ones that live in our backyard (which is
fenced, so I am assuming that the fence will protect them).

Old January 1st 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 01 Jan 2007 20:47:00 GMT, "UsedtobeRumouredToBe"
wrote:

I have called as well as e-mailed the local Animal Control, and they
have yet to respond.

I would call the police and let them know AC has not responded to a
dangerous situation. Perhaps the PD will get AC off their butts?

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain

Taming Ferals Fat Freddy Cat anecdotes 12 February 15th 06 10:26 PM
Taming Ferals Yowie Cat anecdotes 0 February 12th 06 10:50 PM
Best spray flea medicine for ferals & best place to get advantage? anne mcdonough Cat health & behaviour 4 December 28th 04 08:13 PM
How far away can ferals smell scent of food? Sheri Cat health & behaviour 10 November 1st 04 05:07 AM
Getting one of my ferals to come back Sheri Cat rescue 0 November 1st 04 12:01 AM