ADIVCE ON HOW TO CATCH A OVERLY TIMID CAT

Old December 22nd 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default ADIVCE ON HOW TO CATCH A OVERLY TIMID CAT

I have a visitor that frequents the communal feeding bowl with a
regularity that you could almost set our clock by.Unfortunately ,she is
so shy that the moment another cat arrives,she slinks away growling
with her tail between her legs.She has been coming to the bowl for
around 3months now-I happened to see her this morning up close for the
first time in over a month, & I notice that she has a collar underneath
that shag pile furr that is cutting into her neck...it looks really
sore!!
I will happily take her to the vet & ensure that she is seen to
&treated &spayed if she needs to be..My problem is how on earth can I
catch her?She won't come near the house if she knows that there is
anyone about @ all.
I noticed the posting regarding traps & considered the idea, but I am
not entirely sure that it would work for her,because she is one of
those very few cats that would rather starve,than allow a human(or
other felines) near her.I have even tried to put extra boxes out for
her in our recent freezing weather,away from all of the other cat
shelters,but she won't even entertain the idea of sleeping near other
cats either!!Nevertheless,If you do feel it would be the best Idea,then
some helpful comments would be more than appreciated asap(because of
xmas holidays ect)
I have never come across such a timid cat before & in most prior cases
I have managed to build up a trust with most of them-but in this
instance I cant afford the luxury of time to do so in this case.I
really would appreciate any idea's that anyone might have on this one?
I have already called the Rspca(Royal society for the prevention of
cruelty to animals), in to see if they can help me to catch her,but
they feel that I would have a better chance of catching her than they
would!!?Their advice was to catch her, then call them & they will take
her to a one of the local shelters-it would seem easier to catch her &
just have the work she needs doing done myself, then keep her here
until such time as I can release her again
S.

Old December 22nd 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Sheelagh, I copied this post from Phil from another thread:

on Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:02:48 GMT, "Phil P." wrote:

In your situation, since you know when the cats show up, you might
want to use a drop trap. Since you'll be trapping on your own
property, you can run the trip line through a window and trip the trap
from inside. Trapping cats with a drop trap is much easier and much
faster than using a livetrap. An additional advantage of the drop
trap is you can trap only the cat(s) that you want. Transferring the
cat to a carrier or cage is also easy. A drop trap also makes a great
recovery cage with plenty of room for food/water and a litter box.

You can make a decent 3' x3' drop trap in a few hours for about $50.

http://maxshouse.com/Feral/droptrap-d.jpg

or a folding trap for a few bucks mo

http://maxshouse.com/Feral/maxtrap-front-02.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Feral/maxtrap-folded.jpg

--
Lynne

Old December 22nd 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Lynne wrote:

[...]

This looks like an excellent idea.I am certain that it would do the
trick in this case because I can watch her from a downstairs window &
slip the trap as soon as she enters to eat(assuming there are no other
cats around of course!).
My next question might not be so easy for you to answer though....
Has anyone got any idea where I might find a trap like this one in the
Uk?I would love to buy one as it really would come in handy for some of
the other awakward customers we get that frequent out community food
bowl.
Failing buying one,has any one got any idea where I could even borrow
one in the Uk?I have already asked mty cat protection League rep in my
are,& she told me that they don't keep them;only pens and cat
carriers... (
Thanks for your help Lynne.
S.

Old December 23rd 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Fri 22 Dec 2006 11:51:07a, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

This looks like an excellent idea.I am certain that it would do
the trick in this case because I can watch her from a downstairs
window & slip the trap as soon as she enters to eat(assuming
there are no other cats around of course!).

I have no doubt that a drop trap would work, but I wonder how you
would get the cat into a carrier for vetting? Phil may have
explained before, but I probably missed it.

I'd go for a havahart trap, mostly because it doesn't require
intervention and you can keep the cat in it prior to vetting. I had
luck by putting the trap into a paper lawn refuge bag (looks like a
big paper grocery sack). It covers the trap completely and
insulates it so that it's warmer inside than outside. If you can
master how to set the trap, and place the food bait in a way that
the trap's trigger will unfailingly snap when stepped on, you have
it made. Good luck. Sounds like this girl needs your help.

--
Cheryl

Old December 23rd 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
addicted

sheelagh wrote:

Failing buying one,has any one got any idea where I could even borrow
one in the Uk?I have already asked mty cat protection League rep in my
are,& she told me that they don't keep them;only pens and cat
carriers... (
Thanks for your help Lynne.
S.

just get a broom and chase them off, they'll leave you alone

Old December 23rd 06, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/droptrap.pdf

Old December 23rd 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:
I have no doubt that a drop trap would work, but I wonder how you
would get the cat into a carrier for vetting? Phil may have
explained before, but I probably missed it.

I take feral cats to the vet in the trap, without transferring them -
but I do use livetraps only, which are solid enough for transportation.
If you can get hold of a livetrap (sorry, I have no hints for the UK,
but I would think that the RSPCA has live traps?!?!), put a blanket
over the top to convey a feeling of safety. I trap in my yard, so I can
watch the area and chase the 'wrong' cats away. The vet will sedate the
cat in the trap and then take it out for treatment. If necessary, I
will leave the cat in my bathroom in the trap for a few hours until the
vet opens, but I never let them out of the trap. This also ensures that
the cat has not eaten if surgery is due. Tried transferring a feral cat
once, cat got out, wrecked the bathroom in total panic. I did
eventually get her inside a large dog carrier by putting on my most
sturdy clothes and welding gloves, but the panic the cat was in was way
worse than anything she needed to be had I kept her in the trap.

Best of luck Sheelagh, hope you can catch her quickly and get her
treated,

Petra

Old December 24th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Fri 22 Dec 2006 11:51:07a, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

This looks like an excellent idea.I am certain that it would do
the trick in this case because I can watch her from a downstairs
window & slip the trap as soon as she enters to eat(assuming
there are no other cats around of course!).

I have no doubt that a drop trap would work, but I wonder how you
would get the cat into a carrier for vetting? Phil may have
explained before, but I probably missed it.

Butt the transfer cage door to the trap's transfer door and raise the doors
at the same time- most cats run right into the transfer cage because they
think they're escaping from the trap. If the cat doesn't run into the cage
on her own, I use two dowels to guide her in.

If I'm using a carrier instead of a transfer cage, I butt the carrier (with
the door open) to the trap's transfer door. I remove the transfer door of
the trap and use it to block the carrier doorway after the cat goes in the
carrier. Then I slide the transfer door out as I'm closing the carrier door.
Its a lot simpler than it sounds.

I'd go for a havahart trap,

I wouldn't recommend Havaharts--they're unreliable and poorly made.
Tru-Catch, Safeguard, and Tomahawk traps are made much better and have
better triggers. The Tru-Catch has the best trip plate of all the traps and
has more room inside than other traps the same size-- makes a better
recovery cage, too. The 36D fits inside RB 36 duffle bag perfectly- makes
an excellent trap cover and great camouflage.

Phil

Old December 24th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

I wouldn't recommend Havaharts--they're unreliable and poorly made.
Tru-Catch, Safeguard, and Tomahawk traps are made much better and have
better triggers. The Tru-Catch has the best trip plate of all the traps and
has more room inside than other traps the same size-- makes a better
recovery cage, too. The 36D fits inside RB 36 duffle bag perfectly- makes
an excellent trap cover and great camouflage.

Phil

Thanks Phil,I have been on the net today & I have found a trap from
some friends who happen to work for usaf,& most fortuitously it hapens
to be a a tru-catch.I am just on my way down to a base in Mildenhall
in uk to collect it before he fly's out on a posting.I really do
appreciate your input on this one.The fellow who is lending me the
traps,wife also does a bit of rescueing so happend to have a trap of
her own(& has offered to demonstrate it for me too)~I cant find any for
sale in the Uk,& I was worride about the time factor of not catching
her soon enough,because the bit around her neck looks a bit infected &
very red too.So the sooner the better on that one!
With any luck I should have it up and running tomorrow am.I have been
advised to put some warm meat out for her as it will tempt her in a bit
mopre~is this the case?(ie:micro wave her meaty chunks a bit to make
the smell more appetising?)
I am praying that she turns up by 10am like she normally does, because
the vet is still open until 6pm gtm..
I have already warned the vet to expect us,& with any luck,she should
be able to tranquize her(only), if needs be, just so that we can get
that wretched too tight collar off her asap.Whilst @ the vets,if she
needs spaying, then I will allow them to do her @ the same time~But
right now, my main concern is to get that constriciting/too small
collar off her..from where I was standing,it looks like it is
weeping,bleeding far too tight around her neck..
I will keep you up to date on her& hope to have a bit better news
tomorrow morning.
Thanks to everyone that has posted on this one-I couldn't have done it
without all of your collective help.I had no idea how to start on it at
all!Thanx loads,
S.

Old December 24th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"sheelagh" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Just make sure you test the trigger pressure on the trip plate a few times
before you deploy the trap. Its very easy to misjudge the pressure and set
it too high. Tap the trip plate with a hanger or short stick to make sure it
trips with very little pressure.

Good luck,

Phil