Hip Dysplasia: Louis is doing better after Metacam

Old December 28th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian Link

Default Hip Dysplasia: Louis is doing better after Metacam

When Louis was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia, the vet gave him an
analgesic and anti-inflammatory (Metacam). His rear leg was almost
unusable when we took him in, but after a week of Metacam and rest,
you'd be hard pressed to notice anything wrong.

Of course, if it is Hip Dysplasia, all this means is that the femur
popped itself back into its ill-fitting pelvic socket after the
swelling went down and he had a few days to rest.

Does anyone know whether Metacam is safe for medium-long term use?
This could allow us to put off surgery for a bit longer than I'd
expected.

Anyway, he's doing very well - though he hasn't jumped up on the
refrigerator, he's playing and happy.

After anguishing about the surgery, a friend reminded me that cats
have free-floating shoulder joints (allowing them to squeeze through
small openings). The Femoral Head Ostectomy surgery seems radical, but
it only results in the hip joints becoming free-floating. There's some
hope (and lots of anecdotal reports) that post-surgery, the cat can
function quite well.

Of course, the sticking point is surgery itself, which is always
risky. Louis is young and healthy though, so his prognosis is pretty
good.

The breeders we bought him from seem to have disappeared. Since HD is
transmitted by both parents, it makes me wonder whether they realized
their queen and sire were damaged goods.

Bengals are marvellous cats, as are many of the pure-breeds. I am now
officially a convert to adopting moggies, though. Tiger, the
Maine-Coonish moggie farm cat, is as active and healthy at 13 as he
was at 2. It's a stark contrast that our little 4 year old Bengal is
more challenged than he is.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"
Old December 28th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

My vet told me that metacam should only be used for short-term use (week or
so). Of course, ask your vet what he/she would recommend.

Sue

Old December 28th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 28 Dec 2006 03:45:39 GMT, Brian Link wrote:

The breeders we bought him from seem to have disappeared. Since HD is
transmitted by both parents, it makes me wonder whether they realized
their queen and sire were damaged goods.

Bengals are marvellous cats, as are many of the pure-breeds. I am now
officially a convert to adopting moggies, though. Tiger, the
Maine-Coonish moggie farm cat, is as active and healthy at 13 as he
was at 2. It's a stark contrast that our little 4 year old Bengal is
more challenged than he is.

That was my (heartbreaking) experience with a pure bred dog, too, but
before I understood the difference between responsible breeders and the
backyard variety...

I'm so glad your boy is feeling better. I hope the surgery is a complete
success and that he heals rapidly.

--
Lynne

Old December 28th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

No, it's not for long-term use. It can affect one of the organs --
kidneys, I think.

Talk to your vet about it. Our vet once suggested possibly using it
long-term on one of our cats but it was a careful schedule, I think one
dose every four days or so.

Hope all turns out well with Louis,

Rhonda