Cat Won't Stop Pawing Doors

Old January 2nd 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jill

Default Cat Won't Stop Pawing Doors

Hello, I have had my cat from over a year now. He's been declawed and
neutered since I've owned him. He's never been affectionate towards me
expect when I first come home from work (and thats for about 5 mins).

Over the last 4 days, he's taken on a bad and very frustrating/annoying
behavior. Every late night/early morning (I'm talking about 3 or 4
am), he starts pawing on the closet door until he wakes me up then he
runs and hides. If he had claws it would be like he's sharpening his
claws in turbo mode.

The first time, he ran out into the kitchen where his bowl was and I
saw he was low on food and water so I topped his bowl off, thinking
that was his way of saying I'm hungry, then laid back down. About 20
mins later, he started it again. I sat up, he ran and hid. This will
continue until I'm up for the day; every 10 to 15 mins he's pawing a
door to wake me back up.

If it was just the one closet door, I'd think there was something in
there he wanted. However, I moved his carrier in front of the door, so
he then moved to the 2nd closet door. If I shut him out of the
bedroom, he paws the bedroom door until I wake up and let him in. If I
move out to try and sleep on my living room couch, he paws the front
door or the entry way coat closet door.

I've tried everything from giving him a light swat on the butt and
telling him no TO tossing a shoe at the wall near him (NOT at him, to
try and scare him away from the door; he runs, but comes back a few
mins later) TO putting him in his carrier (which he just paws at the
carrier door which is more annoying)....

I don't know what else to try, but I'm EXHAUSTED after being woken up
constantly...He doesn't like to play during waking hours and again he's
not an affectionate cat (very independent).

Can anyone suggest another idea? I'd love to get some sleep tonight.

Old January 2nd 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
milk bone

Jill wrote:
Hello, I have had my cat from over a year now.

here is the root of the problem

Can anyone suggest another idea? I'd love to get some sleep tonight.

maybe some pills and wine?

Old January 2nd 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

You think there is something in there he wants. Simple solution open the
door and let him in. It's more than likely a mouse. Let him do his job.
When my cats are this persistant that's usually what's going on.

Celeste

ps.com...

Old January 2nd 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 02 Jan 2007 12:31:56 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

Hello, I have had my cat from over a year now. He's been declawed and
neutered since I've owned him.

How recently was he declawed? This could be a behavioral by product of
that procedure.

In any case, I'd do what Celeste recommended and let him in the closet.
Don't get up and feed him, or you'll teach him that he will get fed by
waking you up.

If letting him into the closet doesn't help, I'd be a big meanypants and
shut him in a room far from my bedroom. That will probably break him of
the habit in just a couple of nights. Or at least you won't hear him.

--
Lynne
Old January 2nd 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Jill wrote:
Hello, I have had my cat from over a year now. He's been declawed and
neutered since I've owned him.

why on earth did you declaw him? that is unnatural and he is probably
showing some sort of bizarre behaviour as a result of that. cats need
to scratch in order mark their territory otherwise they get very
unhappy, stressed and insecure, and obviously start to show odd
behaviour in order to work out their frustrations. I hope he pees all
over your house to get you back for it.

god, when will you yanks outlaw this barbaric behaviour? it is
disgusting, cruel and highly unnecessary. Shall i come round and pull
out all your teeth and nails for you in return? or maybe cutting your
hands off will go some way to making you people realise what it means
to be declawed.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHH! (that's my frustration at people
stil continuing with this nasty practise just to protect their crappy
cheap furniture which is of no value at all compared to the health and
happiness of a beautiful cat)

bookie

Old January 2nd 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Leave all doors open.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old January 2nd 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
nay

I agree, my cat usually wants something when he is so
persistant.....they are cats after all. My other kitty Mikey usually
scratches on the door to be let out so he can either get some air or do
his business. No cat likes a dirty litter box. My cat Mogus scratches
on the side of my bed if he wants something....I usually just get up
and follow him to either the bathroom for fresher water or the kitchen
for extra nibbles.
they are quite smart.

Old January 2nd 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jill

Bookie, he was already declawed when I got him from the humane society.
I asked for help, not a nasty response about declawing....So RUDE!

Old January 2nd 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Jill" wrote in message
ps.com...
Bookie, he was already declawed when I got him from the humane society.
I asked for help, not a nasty response about declawing....So RUDE!

Just open the door. And, given how humane people think about declawing,
better to let people know right away that you are not responsible.

Old January 2nd 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Jill" wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

Besides opening all the doors, you could confine him to the room farthest
away from the one where you sleep while you are sleeping. If your place is
small (or even if not), get a large HEPA filter, floor model, and put it by
your bed. The sound will drown him out. (My declawed cat did this
to magazines and windows, anything smooth. I have no idea why. I
guess I lucked out because she did not do it at night.)