"There must beat least 50 cats"

Old January 12th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default "There must beat least 50 cats"

Have you ever noticed how people always say "there must be at least 50 or 60
cats" when they see a colony of only 10-15 cats? lol I got an urgent call
about a "huge" colony that the local residents were complaining to the board
of health about because there were "so many". I went to the colony at dusk
and dawn and late at night for three days- I put out 5 plates of kitty krack
and hid for three hours. I didn't count more than a total of 12 cats total
in all 3 days.

This isn't the first time I heard such an exaggeration. I really wonder why
so many people really believe they're seeing 5 times as many cats as there
actually are???

What an assorted colony this is!!!

Enjoy.

http://maxshouse.com/Feral/clsdt-0008.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Feral/clsdt-0060.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Feral/clsdt-0048.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Feral/clsdt_0009.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Feral/clsdt-0057.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Feral/clsdt_0061-sm.jpg

Old January 12th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 12 Jan 2007 03:31:31 GMT, "Phil P." wrote:

[...]

Holy cow! I mean COWS!! Those are the best fed ferals I've ever seen!
There must be some great hunting there.

I would bet that the people who over estimate the number of cats just are
not cat lovers. They probably can't distinguish one cat from another or
figure out how to count them. Either that or they are exaggerating on
purpose in order to get quick action (which makes me think they are not
only cat lovers, but perhaps cat haters.)

Gorgeous kitties--thanks for sharing!

--
Lynne
Old January 12th 07, 08:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You're not kidding! Those cats eat better than a lot of people!

There must be some great hunting there.

They established their colony in a vacant building behind a restaurant. A
few employees took a liking to the cats. The chef sautés a few pounds of
ground sirlorn or chicken or turkey for them and the waiters alternate
delivering it! True story. lol

The cats have begun hanging around in the parking lot in the back of the
restaurant. That's what led to the complaints- presumably by patrons or the
owner of an office building nearby. At least the restaurant stuck up for
the cats and told the BOH they keep the mice and rats under control. To
keep the status quo, I agreed to TNR the cats. Hopefully the restaurant
will cover all or at least half of the cost. It looks like it might be a
hard sell since the restaurant thinks the more cats the better for rodent
control. The area is reclaimed swampland. So, rats are abundant.

I would bet that the people who over estimate the number of cats just are
not cat lovers. They probably can't distinguish one cat from another or
figure out how to count them. Either that or they are exaggerating on
purpose in order to get quick action (which makes me think they are not
only cat lovers, but perhaps cat haters.)

I don't know-- I've heard people I know and work with tell other people
"He's (me) has like 20 cats". Actually I only have 12- 5 are mine and 7 are
fosters- 3 of which are kittens. Maybe cat reproduce prolifically in
people's imagination, too! lol

Gorgeous kitties--thanks for sharing!

They look more like pampered pets than ferals, don't they?

This one caught me:

http://maxshouse.com/Feral/clsdt_b+w-bk-eye_0069.jpg

Looks like she's saying "Hey, what are doing?" lol

Phil

Old January 12th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Sounds much like the bunch I've been trapping the last couple of months
(taking that long because I can only get a few spay appts. at a time). We've
trapped 20 cats so far and have maybe 7 more to go (one has been missing for
a number of weeks). They had originally said there were only around 15 back
there. I guess people tell you what they think will make you willing to work
the problem.

These guys are also behind a restaurant in a shopping center and were being
fed by the restaurant employees. Unfortunately for the cats, the restaurant
closed on New Years Day. There is a woman who is going back there twice a
day to feed and keep an eye on them. Having them used to the restaurant food
certainly makes it a challenge to find something that will entice them into
the traps though.

Did my heart good to trap a big boy this week who had been walking by the
traps and marking them. Now I'm down to the last few who sit there going
"neener neener".

Old January 12th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

I love the face on that gorgeous gray and white one.

Old January 12th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Wendy wrote:
"Phil P." wrote in message
> [...]

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Well done!

Having had a try at trapping, It made me laugh to hear your story about
that big fat tom cat.I could just picture you waiting for him to
trigger the trap.It made it all the funnier to hear how he had been
marking it too,but only from the point of view that I know how
infuriating it must have been to watch this almost grinning big fat tom
sticking his tongue out at you like a cheshire cat.

I can just picture your elation too when you got the better of him.
Cat Minded persons must think alike because I thought the same thing
too...
Those cats are HUGE!
Well done to both of you & thanks for sharing the photo's of them all.
S;o)

Old January 12th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Phil P." wrote
You're not kidding! Those cats eat better than a lot of people!

They're gorgeous, Phil!

Old January 12th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:22:15 GMT, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Lynne" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hmm. Perhaps if the cat's weren't so well fed they'd eat more rats?
Given a choice between Sirlon Flambe and rat, I think I'd pick the
Sirlon. Of course, the rats are more fun in that they're still moving.
Old January 12th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Phil P. wrote:
[...]

they do look surprisingly well-fed and plumptious for a bunch of
ferals, so they cannot be doing too badly on hand outs from the
restaurant, and thankfully the restaurant has seen the plus of havign
kitties around ie vermin control.

I must be missing something but why would people 'complain' about
having a colony of cats around? do they do any particular damage? they
have just as much right to be there, they have to be somewhere anyway,
and i would much rather have a bunch of furry-faced pusses hanging
around than some bunch of young hoodlums drinking booze, taking drugs
and terrorising the neighbourhood. fair enuogh do something for the
kitties good if they are breeding out of control or have dieases or
cannot feed themselves adequately but otherwise what is people's
problem???

I particularly the mostly white one in the penultimate photo, her face
is a picture of grumpiness (I see the plate has been overturned next to
her), wonderful.

Bookie

Old January 12th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:22:15 GMT, "Phil P." wrote:

To keep the status quo, I agreed to TNR the cats.

Kudos, Phil! Those who do the kind of work you do are literally saving
thousands upon thousands of cats.

I still can't get over those gorgeous fatties. You may have to adjust your
trap settings! ;-)

--
Lynne