Toy warning

Old January 18th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default Toy warning

I had a scare this morning with Levi. I was on a conference call when
suddenly I heard Levi screaming and howling (my boss asked WTH was going
on). I found him on the cat tree with the stretchy string from a teaser-
type toy wrapped tightly around his leg, and also wrapped around the cat
tree. He was in an absolute PANIC--this thing was frighteningly tight on
my poor little guy. He was trying to jump down when I got to him, which
most certainly would have made the problem much worse. I grabbed some
scissors and cut him loose, then unwrapped the string from his leg. I've
never seen his eyes so big.

He's fine now, but only because I was here when it happened. I shudder to
think what would have happened to him had I not been working from home
today. Lesson learned: don't leave these kinds of toys out when you are
not around to supervise.

I never imagined this kind of problem, but Levi likes to carry toys up to
the top of the cat tree. I obviously need to further kitten-proof our
home. Be careful out there!!

--
Lynne
Old January 18th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

A little fatherly advice you have too look at your household as if you have
a toddler learning to walk around the house. Anything can be dangerous. I
am glad everything is ok.

. 97.142...

Old January 18th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:01:01 GMT, "Matthew"
wrote:

A little fatherly advice you have too look at your household as if
you have a toddler learning to walk around the house. Anything can be
dangerous. I am glad everything is ok.

Having raised 2 children (one who has very serious health problems), I am
not at all unfamiliar with baby proofing. I was sure everything was as it
should be, but apparently not. It never occured to me that this toy (we
just got it) would be a danger... I'm so glad I didn't learn that with a
cat who needed an amputation, or worse. I shudder to think!

As a special treat, I turned on cat-tv for Levi--which is a chair in front
of the snake's viv. I also fed the snake and Levi is absolutely enchanted.

--
Lynne
Old January 18th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lynne" wrote

As a special treat, I turned on cat-tv for Levi--which is a chair in front
of the snake's viv. I also fed the snake and Levi is absolutely
enchanted.

Wow, that must be the best cat show EVER.

Old January 18th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lynne" wrote
I never imagined this kind of problem, but Levi likes to carry toys up to
the top of the cat tree. I obviously need to further kitten-proof our
home. Be careful out there!!

We had a frightening moment some months ago with something I could
never imagine was any sort of hazard.

I was upstairs working and heard Gracie howling in a way that was
similar to the sound she makes when she conquers her rubber snake.

I did not check on her right away because of that. After a little while,
I came up for air long enough to note that she was spending much
more time on the snake than usual, and went downstairs to check
on her. To find her on the back of the couch with one paw hopelessly
hooked and entangled in the sheers of the drapes in back of the couch.
(It is pushed up against a large "picture" window.) She was essentially
hanging from this one paw, as she had twisted around so much that
the sheers were like a rope. I guess as she struggled they wound in
such a way that they got shorter and shorter. It was not so much
an injury hazard as it was terrifying for her. I disentangled her
but she was freaked out for a good long while after that.

Old January 19th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hantayo

Lynne - the same thing happened to Katie & it scared the heck out of us,
too. I removed the toy & that was that. She was wrapped up just like you
described. They say that those toys are break-away toys - BS...
Kathy K.

Old January 19th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 02:51:40 GMT, "hantayo"
wrote:

Lynne - the same thing happened to Katie & it scared the heck out of
us,
too. I removed the toy & that was that. She was wrapped up just like
you described. They say that those toys are break-away toys - BS...

I hope everyone who reads about our experiences keeps these toys put away
when they aren't around to supervise.

I've been carrying Levi around inside my shirt like a kangaroo a lot today
because he scared me so badly earlier. He doesn't mind one bit! I am
still a little shaken up and need to keep him close.

I love my cats so much, I just can't wrap my mind around someone putting
the welfare of furniture above that of their kitties (other thread)...
That's so messed up.

--
Lynne
Old January 19th 07, 09:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Lynne" wrote in message
. 97.142...
[...]

Thanks for writing. I had a similar experience with Amber (RB) a number of
years. I have written about it two or three times, but I think those little
dangly toys are a true menace and yet they "look" so safe. In Amber's case,
I had a scratching post with a toy on a short spring at the top. A short
piece of string tied the toy to the spring. Both the spring and cord were
very short, and I never imagined that they could be dangerous. I was in the
kitchen one day and heard a *terrible* screaming noise -- definitely a
scream of pain and terror, not an "ordinary" call. I ran in and found Amber
on her back with one leg extended up in the air and the string wound tightly
around it. She had apparently hit the toy hard enough that it whipped
around her leg, and when she fell back she was left in a position where she
was on her back and could not roll over to free herself. Her leg was pulled
up high enough so that the upper part of her back was dangling and was not
on the ground. I am sure that she would have lost her leg -- and possibly
her life -- if I had not been in the house to help her. From that time on,
I have removed *every* toy that is attached to another object, no matter how
safe it appears. I do have a toy on a "fishing pole" for the cats, but I do
not even leave it inside the house when I am not on the other end of it -- I
keep it stored in the garage, just to be sure the cats cannot somehow get to
it. And, while we're on this subject, it's a good time to remind people to
get rid of or *safely* store string, ribbon, rubber bands, etc. Also, make
sure that you do not have cords on window blinds that are the "loop" type of
configuration. Cut the ends as short as possible and attach "separators" on
the ends so they cannot form a circle that could entrap your kitty.

MaryL