Pregnant female cat

Old January 31st 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Pregnant female cat

Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
heat.
Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant? I
would
appreciate any information you can give me.
thanks

Old January 31st 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Well, I have a guess... since a litter can have more than one father, I
would think she'd stay in heat for awhile.

You know she can be spayed even while in heat? It would be a good idea
to make an appointment tomorrow.

Rhonda

Old January 31st 07, 11:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Jan 30, 9:09?pm, "
wrote:
Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
heat.
Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant? I
would
appreciate any information you can give me.
thanks

I don't know for sure concerning your exact problem, Cheyenne. But I
do know that if a new male takes over her territory, the first thing
he will do will be to kill the kittens. And believe it or not, the
very act of losing her young will somehow or other put her immediately
into heat. I don't understand how she could just sit there and let a
wild tom brows in and murder her babies, but that's the facts.

Good luck with your female and the potential tom cat troubles that are
in almost certainly going to browse into her future.

IBen

Old January 31st 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Jan 30, 9:09?pm, "
wrote:
Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
heat.
Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant? I
would
appreciate any information you can give me.
thanks

I don't know for sure concerning your exact problem, Cheyenne. But I
do know that if a new male takes over her territory, the first thing
he will do will be to kill the kittens. And believe it or not, the
very act of losing her young will somehow or other put her immediately
into heat. I don't understand how she could just sit there and let a
wild tom browse in and murder her babies, but that's the facts.

Old January 31st 07, 11:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
heat.
Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant?

Females can remain receptive after becoming pregnant- but only for a few
days. How long do you think she's been pregnant?

Old January 31st 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 31 Jan, 11:30, "Phil P." wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
heat.
Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant?

Females can remain receptive after becoming pregnant- but only for a few
days. How long do you think she's been pregnant?

How soon can you spay a cat after she has had a litter of kittens?

And, If it is possible, do you have to wait until she has finished
feeding her kitten's?
Many thanks
S;o)

Old January 31st 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PLS

When we had our cat fixed I was asked if she was dry before they would
do it

Old January 31st 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"PLS" wrote in message
oups.com...
When we had our cat fixed I was asked if she was dry before they would
do it

----------
Me too. In our situation, we had fostered a pregnant cat for a rescue
organization (someone had dumped her off at a high-kill shelter, and
fortunately, the shelter had offered her to the rescue organization rather
than killing her). We were told she could not be spayed until her kittens
were weaned, and she was dry.

FTR, the kittens were placed in homes through the rescue organization, and
we ended up keeping Amanda. She has been one of our permanent cats ever
since, for nearly six years. (Who would have guessed? :-)
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old January 31st 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cindys" wrote:

FTR, the kittens were placed in homes through the rescue organization, and
we ended up keeping Amanda. She has been one of our permanent cats ever
since, for nearly six years. (Who would have guessed? :-)

Good for you. So many times nobody wants the mama cat.

Old January 31st 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LB

On Jan 30, 9:09 pm, "
wrote:
Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
heat.
Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant? I
would
appreciate any information you can give me.
thanks

I was shocked to learn that the reasons so many kittens come into the
same litter looking so different is that they often have different
fathers. The womb has compartments and can be fertilized multiple
times.

I also wouldn't assume that a cat is pregnant, I'd get her checked by
a vet. Tumors or worms can fill her up and make her appear pregnant.

Best wishes!