We have decided to stop breeding

Old February 1st 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default We have decided to stop breeding

Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds?

After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls any more after our the birth of
the litter we are expecting.

When I first came to this site, I thought that people were just being
tight minded & unreasonable, & I justified our breeding by explaining
that we use the money from breeding to help our community cats,
spaying fee's, food , warmth and treatment.

I have thought about this for several months now, including the
consequences of the lack of money to be able to do things that we do
now for the strays that do come to us...but on reflection, I am fairly
certain that having given up smoking, the money that I was getting for
the kittens we breeding is more or less the same when you consider it
carefully(over in the U.K, we pay a hell of a lot of tax on our
Cigg's- around $7 a packet I think!!).

I spend so much of my life trying to get other people to spay &
neuter, that it seem hypocritical of me to continue to breed Pedigree
cats, doesn't it?
Having bred them for around 3years, It is a big decision to make(not
least because of the money that I have invested in it)... but I truly
think it would be for the best. I see all of the cats as part of our
family, not simply as breeding stock...

We may not have the same cash available in lump sum's anymore, but the
proceeds of not smoking should help out a bit, & a few fund raising
events will also help out if we need them from time to time.

I hope that I have made the right decision because I have the boys
booked in for tommorow morning as well as 2 of the girls. All that
remains now is to have the last female done after she has finished
feeding her kittens. Once she has, then we will take her to be spayed
too.
My breeding days are over!
S;o)

Old February 1st 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 1 Feb, 13:28, "sheelagh" wrote:
[...]

OMG
you sure? well done you! may your house be ever overrun with one-eyed,
3 legged, flea ridden, grumpy old strays who have all come in out of
the cold to find love, food and warmth, what a wonderful thought,
can't think of a better house to live in myself

anymore pictures on lucy(fur)? is she now just lucy now she has calmed
down?
Bookie

Old February 1st 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Pijewlchio

"Gail" wrote in message
link.net...
I know you made the right decision.....
Gail

I think Sheelagh was sharing a quote.
I could be wrong.

Old February 1st 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"sheelagh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds?

After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls

If you ever doubt you made the right decision, click on the link below.

--
Don't breed or buy while shelter cats die.
http://maxshouse.com/heartache.JPG

Old February 1st 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 1 Feb, 18:19, "Phil P." wrote:
"sheelagh" wrote in message

oups.com...

Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds?

After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls

If you ever doubt you made the right decision, click on the link below.

--
Don't breed or buy while shelter cats die.
http://maxshouse.com/heartache.JPG

you could have given us some warning of what we were going to see,
that is just dreadful! where was that taken? out the back of a rescue
shelter i assume, one where they kill unwanted animals after a certain
time.

I feel so sad, what have any of these animals done to be treated like
this and then have their little lives snuffed out, all any of them
wanted was to have a safe home and a warm lap to curl up on and to
give lots of love and friendship in return, I feel so pathetic and
rubbish now

bookie

Old February 1st 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Good work, Sheelagh! That's wonderful. There just aren't enough good
homes for everyone so this will really help.

Rhonda

Old February 1st 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jedichica

sheelagh wrote:
Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds?

After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls any more after our the birth of
the litter we are expecting.

Congratulations! This is a hard decision to make, but you did make the
right one, spread the word to other breeders you feel may be in need
of advice! After seeing some of the sad posts on here, this makes me
smile, you are a great *mom* congrats!

Old February 1st 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

OMG
you sure? well done you! may your house be ever overrun with one-eyed,
3 legged, flea ridden, grumpy old strays who have all come in out of
the cold to find love, food and warmth, what a wonderful thought,
can't think of a better house to live in myself

anymore pictures on lucy(fur)? is she now just lucy now she has calmed
down?
Bookie- Hide quoted text -

Absolutely certain.
I have been considering it for a couple of months now, but had to
think carefully because of the financial ramifications.

I honestly didn't realise how overcrowded the cat world is.

I guess over in the UK we don't think about these things so much
because most of our Shelters have no kill policies, don't they?

I was so busy living in my personal space thinking of the good that I
was doing for the local cat-community, that I didn't take the time to
look at the wider issue here.

In ways I am a little sad about it because I loved what I did.

However, when it came to the weighing up which do you prefer bit?(IE:
breeding kittens, or helping out our local flea-Bags, there isn't very
much to consider really)...

I will miss some aspects of it, but on the whole, I know already which
of the two gives me a better buzz.

Both Tazy & Biffy are booked in tomorrow morning to have the snip.
(My poor vet thought I had taken leave of my senses & told me to
reconsider -But there is nothing to reconsider.

The breeding cats have more than made their contribution, & I now feel
that it is time to allow them to do what they would preferred than I
would prefer.

That was part of the reason for my posting regarding
"Can you train a Tom Cat not to pee everywhere?"

I had a friend asking me the same question & I wanted to know too?
I would love to be able to bring our boys indoors, but if it isn't
possible, we will have to try stud pants out I suppose. Either way,
they are too precious friends to abandon now that they are coming into
retirement.

You are spot on about the 3legged flea-Bags, with one eye & probably
an entire colony of ticks & tape worms, & it would seem that I had
better invest in a trap too as It seems that we sorely need one;I
borrowed the last one that I used to trap Lucy(fur!).

Lucy(Fur!) has tuned out to be a wonderful delight. I am so pleased
that some of you talked me out of homing her...I think Tilly, my
daughter would have left home (aged 10!), had I gone through with it,
lol)
She sits in the front garden waiting for Tilly to come home from
school every day & often tries to follow her there in the morning's
think that Lucy(Fur!) has established the fact that she is now second
in command;second only to Lilly, who believes she is a goddess,
herself..Lilly is a seal point birman, but should have been born a
3legged dominant flea bag herself...

So one era ends, as another one begins I guess.
Think of me tomorrow though...
not for giving up breeding, just for the worry of them being knacked.
I hate it when they have to go under anaesthetic(

Hope you like the updates, Lucy is lovely!! "o"

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheela.../LucyFurUpDate

Old February 1st 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 1 Feb, 14:00, "Pijewlchio" wrote:
"Gail" wrote in message

link.net...

I know you made the right decision.....
Gail

I think Sheelagh was sharing a quote.
I could be wrong.

It was)
I once remember reading it a little while back from a regular poster,
& I thought it was "so True".
I am pleased to have learnt from the experience though.
It's OK to be wrong, as long as you put it right
(I think??)
S;o)