5 Months to young to neuter??

Old February 2nd 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
beachgirl

Default 5 Months to young to neuter??

Hi all,

My 5 month old kitten has begun to spray around the house. I have
contacted my vet to set up a time to have him neutered and they are
REFUSING to do it. They have indicated that he is too young as he is
not yet 6 months old and that it will be too hard on his body (note:
he's a big kitten. he weighs almost 9lbs - all muscle). My kitten
turns "6 months" on Feb 26 but is turning "24 weeks" this Saturday
(Feb 3)... I've told the vet this and STILL they refuse to do it until
after Feb 26.

I'm going to seek another vets opinion but thought I would also check
with all of you as you were so helpful with my last posting "Kitten
Shiver/Tremours while Sleeping".

Thanks!

Old February 2nd 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

I wouldn't do it till he was 6 months. There is too much risk to a cat who
isn't mature enough for the surgery.

Celeste

Old February 2nd 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 02 Feb 2007 00:23:19 GMT, "beachgirl" wrote:

I'm going to seek another vets opinion

This is what I would do.

Kittens are often neutered much younger than 6 months of age, though I
prefer to wait. Your kitten is pretty large and so I wouldn't hesitate to
have him done now. Call your local animal shelter. They often have vets
either on staff or affiliated with the shelter who perform services for
fees and who are very experienced in early spay/neuter, though I wouldn't
even consider your kitten "early" given his size and his age.

--
Lynne
Old February 2nd 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
beachgirl

Thanks that's great advise.

I have one other question:
He has not yet received his 3rd booster shot as the vet thought that
his shiver symptom was a reaction to his 2nd booster shot and advised
me not to give him the rabies shot. Well I've since discovered (on my
own I might add), that it wasn't the booster shot at all that caused
the shiver, it was an allergy to the food he was eating. I've changed
his food and now he's fine. Does he have to have the rabies shot
prior to being neutered or can the vet do the shot and the neutering
in the same visit???

Old February 2nd 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:43:17 GMT, "beachgirl" wrote:

He has not yet received his 3rd booster shot as the vet thought that
his shiver symptom was a reaction to his 2nd booster shot and advised
me not to give him the rabies shot. Well I've since discovered (on my
own I might add), that it wasn't the booster shot at all that caused
the shiver, it was an allergy to the food he was eating. I've changed
his food and now he's fine. Does he have to have the rabies shot
prior to being neutered or can the vet do the shot and the neutering
in the same visit???

I would not do them all at once, no, though a vet may want to do so. I
would get the shots now and schedule the neuter for a week later if you can
stand the wait. You could do it the other way around, but the vet may
refuse. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Also, you can call around to vets and
ask if they will neuter him at his current age. You don't have to go in
for a visit until you find one who will. If you get the shots with the
same vet first, you can take him in for that and make sure you are
comfortable with the vet and the facilities before you have him neutered
there.

--
Lynne
Old February 2nd 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
beachgirl

New vet.

TELL ME ABOUT!!! I'm on the hunt for one!

Old February 2nd 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
beachgirl

On Feb 1, 9:59 pm, Lynne wrote:
[...]

Thanks Lynne,

You've been a great help!

Old February 2nd 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

No, 5 months is not too young. We had our kittens (a girl and 3 boys)
done at 4 months. You do have to find a vet who is experienced with
spaying younger kittens. Usually a cat or feral rescue group will have
the name of someone.

I would not wait on your cat. He will leave his scent everywhere in the
house and it will be hard to break him of it after the neuter.

Rhonda

Old February 2nd 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stick Waver

My two guys were neutered at 3 months at the shelter. They're happy
and healthy.