Cleaning your cat's ears.

Old February 3rd 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
raz230

Default Cleaning your cat's ears.

My cat always needs to have his ears cleaned (which I do carefully w/
q-tips). The older he gets, the more often I seem to have to do
this. I have been told he could have ear mites and I took him to the
vet once - admittedly at some point after recently cleaning his ears
out; and was told he did not have mites.

His ears get very dirty and I know this bothers him as he enjoys it
when I clean his ears. I have several friends with cats and they do
not have this problem.

Do some cats just have dirty ears or should I try a different vet?

Rob

Old February 3rd 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Fri 02 Feb 2007 07:04:09p, raz230 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

My cat always needs to have his ears cleaned (which I do
carefully w/ q-tips). The older he gets, the more often I seem
to have to do this. I have been told he could have ear mites
and I took him to the vet once - admittedly at some point after
recently cleaning his ears out; and was told he did not have
mites.

His ears get very dirty and I know this bothers him as he enjoys
it when I clean his ears. I have several friends with cats and
they do not have this problem.

Do some cats just have dirty ears or should I try a different
vet?

Rob

Hi Rob. If it isn't mites, it's probably yeast infection. You need
to control the conditions that make it ripe for yeast. Cleaning
them with solution specifically designed to control (lower) the pH
level should help. It could also be an allergy problem. When you do
clean them, be sure to thoroughly dry them because yeast and fungus
thrive in moist places.

--
Cheryl

Old February 3rd 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Fri 02 Feb 2007 07:04:09p, raz230 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:1170461049.231221.126320
@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Do some cats just have dirty ears or should I try a different vet?

Oh, and PS - try a different vet. They can recommend a good ear
solution in addition to helping you figure out if it's an allergy.

--
Cheryl

Old February 3rd 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

[...]

Insteqad of taking cat to vet AFTER you clean it's ears take it BEFORE
you clean them so he can see what is going on and get a sample to look
at.

Old February 4th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot

I have a male cat who gets very dirty ears. He never has mites they just
get waxy. I take a cotton balls and wipe the ears. He sits there and just
eats it up doesn't fuss one bit when I do it.

Celeste

oups.com...