Cat crapping and ****ing in our bed.

Old February 4th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Cat crapping and ****ing in our bed.

I'm out of ideas and need some good advice.

We have 3 cats: an 8-y/o male tabby, a 6-y/o female white/blonde mutt,
and a nearly 3-y/o female tabby. They're all fixed. Our problem is
the 3-y/o tabby.

Almost 4 weeks ago, Shasta, had a bout of diarrhea and left splotches
all over the house. We confined her in our bathroom and didn't feed
her for 24 hours, then gave her chicken and rice. She wouldn't eat it,
and was actually trying to eat her litter. So we gave her the regular
dry cat food that she normally eats. We kept her locked up for 3
days, but she still had the runs, so we took her to the vet. He gave
her antibiotics and anti-diarrhea meds, and Reglan to help "settle"
her stomach.

After 2 days, she was fine and we let her have free run of the house.
She was good for about 3 days and started crapping on our bed! That
went on for about 3 days, and then she started ****ing in our bed. We
locked her up in the bathroom again for a couple days, and let her out
again.

Once again, she was fine, but started crapping and ****ing in our bed
again! Arg! The 3rd day, she had diarrhea again (nothing like diarrhea
in our bed)! We took her back to the vet and he said she had a slight
urinary infection, for which we started another round of meds again.
We locked her up in our bathroom once again.

Now, that was 3 days ago. We have a fresh litter box in the bathroom,
and SHE WON'T USE IT. She's ****ing under the tub and crapping on the
carpet. Her stools are back to normal. I don't know what to do next.
We can't keep her if she's like this all the time. And we certainly
don't want to have her destroyed.

Has anyone been through anything like this? If so, how did you handle
it? We're all at our wit's end!

Thanks,
-Tom in Scranton, PA

Old February 4th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Pijewlchio

maybe there is something hung in her digestive tract.
she don't know how else to tell you.

she's saying...

"LOOK AT MY CRAP DADDY, HELP ME"

Old February 4th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Pijewlchio

I would wager 65.00 on a vet, that she does need a vet.
does that make sense?

ups.com...

Old February 4th 07, 11:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Frequently when a cat stops using the litter box it's because they are
experiencing pain while using it. They equate the pain with the box and take
their business elsewhere. Elsewhere can be somewhere that you're assured to
find it so you do something about the pain for them.

You need to get kitty back to the vet and if this one can't track down the
source find another - maybe a cat only vet if there is one in your area.
There is something beyond a simple urinary tract infection at work here.
It's not normal for diarrhea to lead to a "slight urinary tract infection".

In the mean time take up the carpet in the bathroom and get a plastic runner
for under the tub (slide it out to clean it if necessary and kitty might not
like using it so will go back to the box).

You could also try cat attract litter and see if that could entice kitty
back to the box. A new box might help too. There might be some smell in the
plastic that is bringing back unpleasant associations. Use an enzyme cleaner
on the floor to get rid of any urine odor. You might not be able to smell it
but kitty can.

Old February 4th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Frequently when a cat stops using the litter box it's because they
are
experiencing pain while using it. They equate the pain with the box
and take
their business elsewhere.
Elsewhere can be somewhere that you're assured to
find it so you do something about the pain for them.

I agree with this one too.
If you don't feel that you are getting the right answer from your
current vet, go to a different one for a second opinion...this
behaviour is not at all normal, & every word Wendy tells you is true
It would appear that you are paying a vet who isn't as scrupulous as
some other vets might be, shall we say?If you don't have another one
near you, then travel a little bit further..she is worth it after all.
If she has never done this before, she is trying desperately to tell
you something is terribly wrong.
Believe your cat, not the vet this time round

plastic that is bringing back unpleasant associations. Use an enzyme cleaner
on the floor to get rid of any urine odor. You might not be able to small it, but kitty can!!!!

It is the only way to break down that smell that keeps reminding her
of where she went lat time.
The cleaner is slightly expensive , but well worth every penny you
spend on it, because it works..
Good luck & let us know how it goes?
S;o)

Old February 4th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bluemaxx

(sorry - piggybacking here, but the OP didn't show up)

What caught my eye in your post, Tom was your statement that your cat was
eating the cat litter. She was not hungry when she did that.

There is a disease called "Pica" where cats eat litter because of being
anemic (iron deficiency) or an underlying disease going on in their system.
Here's one link I found: http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/PICA.htm

And be sure NOT to use a clay type litter - it will stay inside her and
cause other obstruction problems. Switch your litter to a wheat based
litter, like WheatScoop or some other organic material; Shredded
newspapers, etc.

And I agree with the others... get a new vet, and get your cat some
bloodwork. Something is going on inside her.

hugs,
Linda
Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx
Cat Surgery Fund eBay auctions: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtwolegs

"Wendy" wrote in message
. ..
:
: ups.com...

Old February 4th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Default question about wheat litter - used to be Cat crapping and ****ing in our bed.

"bluemaxx" wrote in message
. ..
(sorry - piggybacking here, but the OP didn't show up)

What caught my eye in your post, Tom was your statement that your cat was
eating the cat litter. She was not hungry when she did that.

There is a disease called "Pica" where cats eat litter because of being
anemic (iron deficiency) or an underlying disease going on in their
system.
Here's one link I found: http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/PICA.htm

And be sure NOT to use a clay type litter - it will stay inside her and
cause other obstruction problems. Switch your litter to a wheat based
litter, like WheatScoop or some other organic material; Shredded
newspapers, etc.

And I agree with the others... get a new vet, and get your cat some
bloodwork. Something is going on inside her.

hugs,
Linda

They say not to use clumping litter with kittens because they tend to ingest
it and it causes problems. Do you know if the wheat and corn clumping
litters present the same risk as the clay litters do?

Old February 5th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Feb 4, 12:32 pm, "Wendy" wrote:

They say not to use clumping litter with kittens because they tend to ingest
it and it causes problems. Do you know if the wheat and corn clumping
litters present the same risk as the clay litters do?

This is the reason I switched to wheat litter. It is safe because it
is digestible. If the kitten accidentally eats it, they will digest it
and pass it, no problem.

If you have dogs that sometimes manage to get into the litter or find
a loose piece that fell off outside the box, it is nice to know that
they aren't getting a bunch of clay that can block their systems.

The wheat in the litter is safe for people, just considered a lower
grade than what we use for food. But it is safe. I believe the corn
litter is the same. They didn't have it here back when I was looking
for a safe scoopable litter, so I never tried it.

Several years ago, I decided to try a pine litter that was pellets.
Chase took one look at it, looked iritated, and went right over and
peed on my bed. It seemed pretty clear that he hated the litter and
wanted me to know. I changed it back the next day and never changed it
again.

Also, a suggestion for the bed as eventually, you will want to give
her freedom again. Get a vinyl tablecloth and cover the bed, fuzzy
side up. The tablecloth will protect your bedding and can be washed
easily. I had to do this back when Kira had separation anxiety. Every
time I went out of town overnight, I would come back to a bed with
urine, puke, and sometimes diarhea too. After two returns like that, I
got a tablecloth. It took a couple years before I could come home to a
clean bed, but the tablecloth solved the frustration and mess. She
always returned to normal when I got home, so I was lucky about that.

I haven't needed one in a long time, but I do keep it on hand on case
anybody gets sick.

Old February 5th 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Shasta is still penned up in our bathroom. She is urinating in her
litter box, but crapping in the sink, on the rug and in the window
sill Her stools are loose. She's still active and not in any
visible pain. She's eating well. Her meds are all used up now, so I
am making her an appointment with another vet. I suspect she may be
getting "cramps" and just releasing wherever she happens to be.

BlueMaxx, I've only seen her eat litter that one time, when she
wouldn't eat the chicken and rice.

Friesian, my cat would crap on TOP of the bed, but she would ****
under the covers. That's where she would sleep during the day. It was
like she got the urge to pee, but didn't bother to go to the litter
box.

-Tom in Scranton, PA

Old February 5th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 4, 12:32 pm, "Wendy" wrote:

Also, a suggestion for the bed as eventually, you will want to give
her freedom again. Get a vinyl tablecloth and cover the bed, fuzzy
side up. The tablecloth will protect your bedding and can be washed
easily.

----------
In the USA anyway, there is also such a thing as a waterproof mattress
cover. It comes in two styles. (From the time Molly was young, she had slept
with us at night. When she got elderly, she would sometimes "leak" in her
sleep.) The style we got looks like a giant, heavy gauge plastic bag with a
zipper. It completely encases the mattresses and comes in twin, full, queen,
and king. The sheets and blanket go on top. There is another style which
just covers the top and sides of the mattress (like a fitted sheet, but we
didn't like this style as it didn't stay in place as well. The price varies
depending on the size. The zippered style is around $15.00 for the twin size
and around $20.00 for the queen size. They last forever assuming you don't
have a cat who claws them to pieces (then they tear over time). But IMO,
they were worth every penny. Once the cat has urinated on the mattress
itself, you will never get the urine out completely no matter what you do
because the urine soaks in deep. It costs hundreds of dollars to replace a
mattress.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.