Fancy Feast discontinuing seafood filets in aspic

Old February 13th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

Default Fancy Feast discontinuing seafood filets in aspic

I picked up a few cans at the grocery today; flavors I couldn't find
in my monthly shopping at PetSmart. On the cans was an announcement
that they're discontinuing the seafood filet variety. I can't find
anything on their web site about this. Mine like them a lot, even
though they don't get them often. Is it safe to assume that if
they're discontinuing them that they're unhealthy meals?

--
Cheryl
Old February 13th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I picked up a few cans at the grocery today; flavors I couldn't find
in my monthly shopping at PetSmart. On the cans was an announcement
that they're discontinuing the seafood filet variety. I can't find
anything on their web site about this. Mine like them a lot, even
though they don't get them often. Is it safe to assume that if
they're discontinuing them that they're unhealthy meals?

--
Cheryl

No, I don't think you can make that assumption. I think it is more likely
that it is a variety that doesn't sell well and that they are basing this
decision on "the bottom line" (profit, that is).

MaryL

Old February 13th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Mon 12 Feb 2007 10:05:50p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

No, I don't think you can make that assumption. I think it is
more likely that it is a variety that doesn't sell well and that
they are basing this decision on "the bottom line" (profit, that
is).

Strange. I'd hate to think the worst, that the food isn't healthy. I
do have to say that these varieties gross me out, but Shamrock and
Scarlett love them. They are probably the stinkiest varieties of cat
food I've ever encountered. Stinky is good when you need to get a cat
to eat something. Anything something.

--
Cheryl

Old February 13th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Mon 12 Feb 2007 10:05:50p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

No, I don't think you can make that assumption. I think it is
more likely that it is a variety that doesn't sell well and that
they are basing this decision on "the bottom line" (profit, that
is).

Strange. I'd hate to think the worst, that the food isn't healthy. I
do have to say that these varieties gross me out, but Shamrock and
Scarlett love them. They are probably the stinkiest varieties of cat
food I've ever encountered. Stinky is good when you need to get a cat
to eat something. Anything something.

----------
Have you tried offering them Tuna in Aspic (aka "fish heads")? (I think it's
from ProPlan.) Our vet keeps a supply of this as the food of last resort. A
cat who won't eat anything else will eat this.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 13th 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I picked up a few cans at the grocery today; flavors I couldn't find
in my monthly shopping at PetSmart. On the cans was an announcement
that they're discontinuing the seafood filet variety.

Oh no! I have a few diabetic cats that I've weaned off insulin with Seafood
Filets Tuna & Oceanfish and Ocean Whitefish & Tuna. They're the only diets
that work almost every time with diabetic cats .

I can't find
anything on their web site about this. Mine like them a lot, even
though they don't get them often. Is it safe to assume that if
they're discontinuing them that they're unhealthy meals?

Not at all. There are only 3 diets in the Seafood Filets line. They
probably don't sell well enough to justify the shelf space. The Flaked fish
diets are better sellers (because they're much higher in phosphorus).

Phil

Old February 13th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"cindys" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

-----------
Okay, I found it. It's called "Sardines and Tuna in Aspic" and it is
produced by ProPlan. It's available at Petco and Petsmart or online at:

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...5Fid=291&Page=

When my Molly was dying from CRF, and she was refusing to eat everything,
she was willing to eat this (she was also willing to eat the steak that I
bought at the butcher shop just for her and cooked just for her and chopped
up and handfed to her --- I generally don't buy steaks for myself because
they're so expensive. I would have happily provided Molly any food on the
face of the earth that she would have been willing to eat. Unfortunately,
old age and CRF are relentless. Molly's been gone since October...)
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old February 13th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

"Phil P." wrote:

Oh no! I have a few diabetic cats that I've weaned off insulin with Seafood
Filets Tuna & Oceanfish and Ocean Whitefish & Tuna. They're the only diets
that work almost every time with diabetic cats .

Phil,

Are any of the FF foods suitable for a cat on a renal diet? He is a 17
yr old senior who is on a preemptive Hills K/D prescription diet and
is not suffering from renal failure - just flirting with high normal
BUN.

I only want something on those days that he needs an appetite
stimulant since he quickly gets bored with any diet and sometimes just
picks at his food.

-mhd
Old February 18th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 13 Feb 2007 04:03:24a, Phil P. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:w9fAh.3357$TG6.2042@trnddc06:

healthyness question
Not at all. There are only 3 diets in the Seafood Filets line.
They probably don't sell well enough to justify the shelf space.
The Flaked fish diets are better sellers (because they're much
higher in phosphorus).

Well, they like the flaked fish and shrimp, too, and don't get that
often either. All I know is I kept reading about seafood flavored
diets shouldn't be fed as often. I'm glad to hear they probably
aren't pulled due to being unhealthy. My cats mostly like the
"feast" line rather than flaked, marinated morsals (won't touch
them), sliced (they like chicken and hearts, and sliced chicken), and
won't touch any of the roasted. They're weird.

Thanks for the comments.

--
Cheryl

Old February 18th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote in

My cats mostly like the
"feast" line rather than flaked, marinated morsals (won't touch
them), sliced (they like chicken and hearts, and sliced chicken), and
won't touch any of the roasted. They're weird.

The "feast" line is the one that usually has beef, chicken, or some
kind of meat as the first ingredient. That's what my cats love too.
(Kroger closed out the Turkey Feast at 34 cents a can, so I bought,
like, ALL of them lol.)

Old February 18th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Sat 17 Feb 2007 08:52:43p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

The "feast" line is the one that usually has beef, chicken, or some
kind of meat as the first ingredient. That's what my cats love too.
(Kroger closed out the Turkey Feast at 34 cents a can, so I bought,
like, ALL of them lol.)

Good price! I haven't seen a Kroger up here. That's the store we shop
at when we go to Myrtle Beach. You have to have a card to shop there,
or maybe you used to. Up here, they go on "sale" for 3 for $2, or
sometimes at the PetSmart @ .45 per, but mostly closer to $.60. The
Pro Plan I like to feed my two canned food eaters for breakfast
finally came out in 5.5 oz cans rather than the 3 oz. I vary the Pro
Plan chicken and rice, or Fancy Feast Chicken or Turkey (grilled) or
Friskies Chicken or Turkey Prime Filet for breakfast. Dinner varies
between any flavor. Whatever they will eat. But first meal is always
poultry.

--
Cheryl