My cats and Tuna

Old March 2nd 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Mooney

Default My cats and Tuna

I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their cats
tuna and whether their cats love it or not.

Thanks,
David M

Old March 2nd 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

David canned tuna is fine for cats but not a everyday food.

I feed it to them as a treat. I get tuna juice packets from the store and
they love it

http://www.aspca.org/aspcablog/2006/...sh-be-fed.html
Ask the APCC: Can canned tuna fish be fed to cats?
Can canned tuna fish be fed to cats? Mine loves the smell and desperately
wants it, but I heard that tuna contains mercury.
-Jo P.

An occasional tuna treat given to your cat is probably relatively harmless.
It's true that mercury is often present in tuna, and at low levels, this may
not be a problem. But if tuna is fed nearly exclusively, it could
potentially pose significant problems

Old March 2nd 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

A bit of tuna occasionally as a treat is okay but not as part of their
regular diet. I primarily use it if one of my cats is sick and not eating
well--tuna juice sprinkled over their food can sometimes get them to eat it.
It's not a nutritionally complete food for cats (lacks taurine which is
essential for cats). It's high in sodium and is just not a good cat food.
Tuna also has high levels of mercury which is definitely NOT good for cats.

Good quality canned food is better for them, (better than dry). Find
something with poultry or beef as the first ingredient. Some cats are
allergic to fish. And yes, my cats love tuna.

Bonnie

Old March 2nd 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silvercelt

They can't live off just tuna. I sometimes give a bit as a treat.

Old March 2nd 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

"David Mooney" wrote in message
I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their
cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.

My two like tuna but I only feed it as an occasional treat. Firstly because
it isn't a balanced diet fed on its own and secondly I have found that if I
give my cats "fancy food" often, they turn their noses up at "normal good
food."
My vet once said to me "never feed your cat/dogs/whatever on food they would
give their eye-teeth for on a regular basis, if you do there is nothing that
will tempt them when they are ill."
This seemed like good advice and I have followed it ever since.

Tweed

Old March 2nd 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MoMo via CatKB.com

My cats love tuna. Whenever I make tuna fish, I always squeeze out the juice
into two bowls for my guys and they lap it up like there is no tomorrow.

Old March 2nd 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zinzee

On Mar 2, 1:26 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
[...]

Your vet is totally right. I always thought I was doing the right
thing when I fed my cat Wellness dry food, Greenies as occasional
treats, and nothing else. Every once in a GREAT while, I'd give him
tuna juice and he'd still slurp it up. A couple of months ago he
seemed interested in the salmon I was eating, so I gave him a piece.
He just smelled it and walked away! It was wild caught, too. I was
****ed because it was in his bowl and therefore wasted.

Anyhow, recently I've had to daily medicate with L-lysine and found it
difficult to get Mack C. to eat canned food! I trained him far too
well for his own good. I had to give him the meds so I went and
purchased some tuna and mixed the meds in with the tuna juice.
Luckily, he drank it (phew!). I gave him a small piece of tuna with
it but he pretty much ignored it and just went for the juice.

I've since been able to coax him into eating Wellness canned food. He
still likes a little dry food everyday. If he got tuna juice on a
regular basis I may have not been able to get him to take the
medication. It took me about a week to train him to eat the canned
food right away.

Old March 2nd 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tara Legale

Are you talking cat food tuna or people tuna? I have a few cats who will
only eat cat food tuna products, tuna and cheese is their favorite. When I
make myself tuna I always drain the tuna water out and dole it out for the
cats, they love the juice.

Old March 2nd 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tara Legale

"Matthew" wrote
I feed it to them as a treat. I get tuna juice packets from the store and
they love it

You can buy just tuna juice? Where do you live? I'm in Wisconsin. My
cats would LOVE that.

Old March 2nd 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:48:28 GMT, MoMo via CatKB.com u27647@uwe wrote:

My cats love tuna. Whenever I make tuna fish, I always squeeze out the juice
into two bowls for my guys and they lap it up like there is no tomorrow.

My kitty's favorite is flying grilled shark. That way he gets to run it down,
grab it to break it's little neck and enjoy the kill.