new tortie cat! very exciting!

Old March 4th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default new tortie cat! very exciting!

dear all
have not been posting much for last few days as have been busy
entertaining and looking after a new 'guest' in our house.

brief background is in order I think....
got call frmo coordiantor at local cats prtection branch asking if I
could go round to an empty house in my samll town and feed this cat
that the new owners of the property (who are yet to move into the
house) have said seems to be living there. the new owners live a far
way away and have been driving here to feed it occasionally but cannot
do so any more as they are off on holidays for a while or something
ansd so called the local CPL to help.

anyway, the new owner of the house also rang me to explain the
situation too and it seems that the previous owners of the house moved
out and left the cat behind and are not too bothered it seems about
coming back and getting her, saying she is old and likes to live
outside and they don't have her indoors anyway etc etc, (insert lots
of lame excuses here). the new owners wil nto be moving into the
property for another month and driving 30 odd miles everyday to leave
food out was getting daft and they were going away for a while anyway
so coudl not continue with that so somethign had to be done. Turns out
also that the previous owners had moved out on the 22nd january and
left the cat behind then!!!!! also the new owners had been feeding her
for the last month or so and trying to get the old owners to come and
pick her up, but they were not having any of it.

anyway, the new owenr also said that she cannot have the cat when she
moves in as she is (a) allergic to cats and (b) is away alot with work
and woudl not be there to look after it much and this woudl not be
fair on the cat so coudl i have her instead? so late thursday night I
went round (had been feeding her for a week anyway so knew the house)
left some food out and when she emerged from behind a bush in the back
garden for her dinner i picke dher up and put her in a carrier and she
is now here at home with me, safe, warm, well fed and certainly
abandoned no longer.

before anyone gets all angry, she is staying downstairs whilst jessie
stays upstairs and we are keeping them separate until the new puss has
been seen by a vet (tomorrow if i can get an appointment). It is not
hard to keep them separate because the new cat seems to liek sleeping
under the kitchen sink units right now and only comes out for food and
late at night for a bit of a stroke and to have a look around a bit,
whilst jessie is to lazy to leave her hammock except to go straight
outside or eat. I have been doing a lot of transfering of scents with
my hands so they both know there is someone else around, and jessie
does not seem to care but them she came from a multicat household
anyway, not sure about new puss though.

the old owenrs cannot have left her behind because she was hard to
catch because she wasn't, she is really tame, and she is also a lovely
little cuddly purring furball when you even touch her, really sweet
and friendly, loves head rubs and strokes and brushing. she is dark
tortie and really round and fuzzy, jus beautiful, bit timid but still
lovely. i just can't understand some people, just leavign her behind,
she is such a sweetie.

if I cant find a home for her and if jessie doesn't mind she will be
staying with me, now have to go and look under the kitchen sink again
to see if she has eaten the sheba (tender chunks of beef and heart in
delicate gravy) which my housemate bought for her yesterday (can't
give her plain old whiskas you know, got to give your guests good
stuff when they visit) and see if she wants anything more.

pictures soon to come, you WILL fall in love, I promise you

bookie

Old March 4th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 Mar, 19:59, "bookie" wrote:
[...]

Excellent outcome.

Well done Bookie & I do very much hope that you can keep her. she
sounds very much at home already by the sounds of things...

I am certainly not going to jump down any-ones throat regarding how
they see fit to introduce their cats...Look at some of the strays I
have taken in over the years...?

However, don't forget the dreadful heart ache that we went through
when we lost the kittens too;o(
I would only council you to keep them separate until your vet has
checked her over... mind you, you don't have the problems we did or
the amount of cats either, so different circumstances mean a different
outlook...

I can't get this silly grin off my face.. I can almost picture you
having cuddles & head rubs too.
Best of luck @ the vets tomorrow, & can't wait to see her in photo
form.
Fingers and toes crossed for you...
& don't feel remotely bad about getting these peoples details if
possible, & reporting them for abandonment to the RSPCA....
Rotten to the core is all I can say!!
Thank goodness you were around to love her.
Best Wishes & happy purrs to you, Jessie And....?
S;o)

Old March 4th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 4 Mar, 21:01, "sheelagh" wrote:
On 4 Mar, 19:59, "bookie" wrote:

[...]

S;o)- Hide quoted text -

thanks, and don't worry; the cats seem to be keeping themselves apart
quite well, jess is upstairs and the new one is downstairs (been
sleeping on one of our big old leather sofas most of the evening
snuggled up between some cushions, very happy with the situation).
I will make vets appointment first thing tomorrow, i want to get some
frontline and stuff too for her. she has some dandruff and stuff but
apart from that her fur is in good shape and so is she.

didn't think you could report someone for abandonment but maybe under
this new animal welfare bill you can. I will get the old owner's
details from the new owner of the house and follow that up, also got
to return the blanket and carry case the new owner had left inthe
house's front porch for this poor cat to sleep in as her previous
owners had not left her anything. I too hope we can keep her, she is a
sweetie if still a bit skittish, money will be the issue but i am sure
we can sort something out.

photos soon
bookie

Old March 6th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 4 Mar, 23:49, "bookie" wrote:
On 4 Mar, 21:01, "sheelagh" wrote:

On 4 Mar, 19:59, "bookie" wrote:

[...]

bookie- Hide quoted text -

What a damned pity we can't, because I personally think that is one of
the lowest of the lowest things that you could possibly do to a pet
who has taken you on to slave for them...wouldn't you agree?
I very much hope that it is in the new animals welfare Bill..

I am ever so glad to hear that everything is going according to plan.
By now you will have taken her to the vets, & I am sitting here
wondering how you got on with ...( have we got an appropriate name
yet?)

All 3 of you are very much in my thoughts & I can't wait for the
latest installment
Continued Best Wishes,
S;o)

Old March 6th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Marissa

Great job,

So glad the poor little thing had a good outcome. I still don't understand
what kind of sick, demented individuals would just leave a cat behind, or
any animal. I'm pretty sure, my Tiki may have had the same situation, but
since he can't tell me, I'll never know. He was so incredibly friendly, he
had to have had a lot of human contact, but certainly was left to fend for
himself, which he was starving to death when he showed up on my deck.

Glad both cats have a very happy ending..

PS. Keep Jessie, she sounds wonderful

Maria

s.com...

Old March 6th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 6 Mar, 14:18, "sheelagh" wrote:
On 4 Mar, 23:49, "bookie" wrote:

On 4 Mar, 21:01, "sheelagh" wrote:

On 4 Mar, 19:59, "bookie" wrote:

[...]

tortie girl went to the vets this morning and got the all clear as far
as any obvious goes, has been wormed, given frontline, and generally
checked over. apart from a few fleas she seems in good nick.
she is a placid little thing, a bit scaredy and timid, but lovely and
purrs like mad when you stroke her for a bit and scritch her neck. I
do not understand at all why those people left her behind, they took
their other cat and dog and left her behind without even somethign to
sleep in, what ****s eh? as far as I know they told the new house
owner that she always chose to live outside (scared of the dog
apparantly we think) and so they probably thought she didn't want to
be with them and so left her behind, how stupid can youget? she was
scared of the bloody dog! that is why she stayed outside! she is
loving as the warm cosy spots indoors to snooze in now and has been
snuggling in between cushion on the leather sofa last few nights.

still no name, but smudge is rather suitable

bookie

Old March 6th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 6 Mar, 17:36, "Marissa" wrote:
Great job,

So glad the poor little thing had a good outcome. I still don't understand
what kind of sick, demented individuals would just leave a cat behind, or
any animal. I'm pretty sure, my Tiki may have had the same situation, but
since he can't tell me, I'll never know. He was so incredibly friendly, he
had to have had a lot of human contact, but certainly was left to fend for
himself, which he was starving to death when he showed up on my deck.

Glad both cats have a very happy ending..

PS. Keep Jessie, she sounds wonderful

jessie is staying oh yes! i have had her for over 18 months now and I
would not know what to do without her to order me about. just hoping
her and the new tortie get along eventually

A morning too exciting ... Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 19 May 7th 06 10:45 PM
Tortie Rhonda Cat health & behaviour 1 October 28th 05 08:11 PM
My exciting Jasper update! kitkat Cat health & behaviour 25 February 23rd 05 04:51 PM
Ping Tortie Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 3 September 17th 04 01:35 AM
Well, that was exciting, not so mighty hunters John Biltz Cat anecdotes 34 May 8th 04 06:44 PM