Confusion about attributions

Old March 9th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

Default Confusion about attributions

Here is the classic thread that shows what can happen when someone forges
posts:

http://tinyurl.com/2wfa5o

For starters, the first post in the thread is a forgery... and it gets
worse from there.

I remember sitting at my computer laughing until my stomach ached the
night this discussion took place. None of the "victims" bothered to
analyze the headers, which would have enabled them to tell which messages
were genuine and which were forged by the clever Michael Patten.

This is why we all should be using a good newsreader.

Charlie
Old March 9th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 09 Mar 2007 21:52:41 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

I remember sitting at my computer laughing until my stomach ached the
night this discussion took place. None of the "victims" bothered to
analyze the headers, which would have enabled them to tell which
messages were genuine and which were forged by the clever Michael
Patten.

That's a riot!

How did they finally get rid of that guy??

--
Lynne
Old March 10th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

wrote:

I remember sitting at my computer laughing until my stomach ached the
night this discussion took place. None of the "victims" bothered to
analyze the headers, which would have enabled them to tell which
messages were genuine and which were forged by the clever Michael
Patten.

That's a riot!

How did they finally get rid of that guy??

They didn't. They tried... complaining to his ISP about forged headers,
etc., but nothing happened. The truth is, it was very funny and
completely harmless.

It is better to stay emotionally detached on Usenet, IMO. Embrace the
dark side and look at it all as entertainment. Real trouble only happens
when people learn someone's identity and start sending email to their
boss or similar hi-jinks. That is harassment, and if it goes far enough,
the authorities will get involved. I have seen it happen at least twice
that I can think of. But, the troll in this group is far below the
threshold of being a real problem. He's just a smart-ass. People can
flame him, or they can ignore him, but they can't stop him from posting
as he sees fit.

Charlie
Old March 10th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:34:55 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

They didn't. They tried... complaining to his ISP about forged
headers, etc., but nothing happened. The truth is, it was very funny
and completely harmless.

Ah, but of course! VERY funny, actually. I only asked how they got rid
of him because he doesn't seem to be around anymore.

It is better to stay emotionally detached on Usenet, IMO. Embrace the
dark side and look at it all as entertainment.

I couldn't agree more, and that's my approach as well. I'm usually
successful, but there are times... Thankfully, not very often. I've been
on Usenet since shortly after it was conceived, long before the internet
was invented by Al Gore, so I've had plenty of time to learn the hard
way.

Real trouble only
happens when people learn someone's identity and start sending email
to their boss or similar hi-jinks. That is harassment, and if it goes
far enough, the authorities will get involved. I have seen it happen
at least twice that I can think of.

That's when you know you're dealing with true mental illness.

But, the troll in this group is
far below the threshold of being a real problem. He's just a
smart-ass. People can flame him, or they can ignore him, but they
can't stop him from posting as he sees fit.

Agree again. I like killfiles. Some people aren't worth my time to
read. That doesn't mean I don't think other people shouldn't have fun
with them if they so choose. That's one of the reasons I like Xnews--I
can creatively score and filter in addition to using killfiles and make
my experience what I want it to be. I don't see any part of threads
started by certain people, and when threads drift beyond my interest, I
can kill those, too. (Who has time to read it all, anyway?) Those
features and the fact that Xnews is free make it appeal to me. But I
don't know if the average computer user would consider it complicated or
simple, so I didn't recommend it to Sheelagh. I've heard both opinions
about it. I think it's simple, but I suppose it depends on an
individual's personal experiences with other software.

Anyway, thanks for posting that link. "Melanie's" crack about being a
cheerleader was classic.

--
Lynne
Old March 10th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Mar 9, 8:04 pm, Lynne wrote:

Anyway, thanks for posting that link. "Melanie's" crack about being a
cheerleader was classic.

This trollip has got me kf'd.. somebody call her a dip**** for me

pweeeeeaaaseee

Barry