Older cat pooping in house & generally not grooming self

Old March 10th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Older cat pooping in house & generally not grooming self

Hi,
We have a 16 year old cat, who up til recently always went outside to
"do his business".

However recently he's started to poop inside the house.

He's quite an elderly cat, he's certainly not as sprightly as he used
to be - he's also blind which doesn't help!

Also, his fur has started to mat and become painful for him - I think
it's where he can't reach around to lick anymore. I had to cut the
poor thing's fur off where it had matted together, which he didn't
appreciate one bit, heh.

We're going to take him to the vet ASAP, but just wanted to know if
this was a common thing, and is this a sign that he's going to the big
kitty in the sky (or whatever) soon?

A picture for the curious: http://i14.tinypic.com/44j83yh.jpg

Thanks for any help
Rachel.

Old March 10th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

He should be seen by a vet. You should also provide him with a few litter
boxes inside. Since he is not as sprightly, he cannot as easily go outside.
Gail
oups.com...

Old March 10th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

16 isn't all that old. Have his kidney, liver and thyroid checked.
You should be brushing him every few days to help out. No, what you
describe is not normal for a 16 year old cat. Many cats live to 20+
these days.

Old March 10th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote in message
[...]

Your cat needs a complete medical evaluation, but the signs you mentioned do
not necessarily mean that your cat is at the end of his life. Many cats
live much longer, but your cat is elderly and needs extra help. He is also
blind, so I think you should now try to keep him indoors at all times -- he
would have very few defenses outdoors. Keep him safe indoors, provide
litter boxes, toys, and attention, and brush him every day to get rid of
those mats. You still may need to clip him if he isn't able to clean
himself -- that isn't unusual for cats with long fur, even for younger cats.
My Duffy is also blind, and he loves to climb. Even though your cat is
older, he also might like some "vertical space" that is also safe, so it
would be a good idea to get a *sturdy* indoor cat tree.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old March 10th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silvercelt

Get him checked out by a vet and start using a litter tray

Old March 10th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Alison[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
We have a 16 year old cat, who up til recently always went outside to
"do his business".

However recently he's started to poop inside the house.

He's quite an elderly cat, he's certainly not as sprightly as he used
to be - he's also blind which doesn't help!

Rachel.

He's a lovely cat. You're doing the right thing by taking him for a check-
up. He could have bad teeth that is stopping him from cleaning himself.
There could be medical reason why he is going to the toilet indoors but it
could be the bad weather or perhaps another cat outside is putting him off.
He really should have a tray indoors. BTW It is dangerous for a blind cat
to have outdoor access unless you restirct him to your garden.
--
Alison
http://catinfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Old March 10th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
We have a 16 year old cat, who up til recently always went outside to
"do his business".

However recently he's started to poop inside the house.

He's quite an elderly cat, he's certainly not as sprightly as he used
to be - he's also blind which doesn't help!

Also, his fur has started to mat and become painful for him - I think
it's where he can't reach around to lick anymore. I had to cut the
poor thing's fur off where it had matted together, which he didn't
appreciate one bit, heh.

We're going to take him to the vet ASAP, but just wanted to know if
this was a common thing, and is this a sign that he's going to the big
kitty in the sky (or whatever) soon?

I have a very elderly cat myself. She always used to go outside to toilet,
but after lots of accidents I realised she need a litterbox.
She stopped grooming herself too. I do it for her now.
You say your cat is blind. Can he even find his litterbox? How are you
helping him with this?

Tweed

Old March 11th 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Mar 10, 9:26?am, wrote:
Hi,
We have a 16 year old cat, who up til recently always went outside to
"do his business".

However recently he's started to poop inside the house.

He's quite an elderly cat, he's certainly not as sprightly as he used
to be - he's also blind which doesn't help!

Also, his fur has started to mat and become painful for him - I think
it's where he can't reach around to lick anymore. I had to cut the
poor thing's fur off where it had matted together, which he didn't
appreciate one bit, heh.

We're going to take him to the vet ASAP, but just wanted to know if
this was a common thing, and is this a sign that he's going to the big
kitty in the sky (or whatever) soon?

A picture for the curious:http://i14.tinypic.com/44j83yh.jpg

Thanks for any help
Rachel.

Sounds like she's getting a bit senile, Rache. This works the same in
old kitties as it does in old people. Perhaps she's just given up on
life. A clear lack of self esteem can be seen here by the loss of the
desire to keep up her appearance. This should be a clear indicator
that the poor creature is indeed in dire mental straights. People
suffer from depression and hopelessness. Cats can too. For these
reasons, there's probably not too much that you can really do about
it.
Hope this helps.... Good luck...

IBen Getiner

Old March 11th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your help.
We've got him a litter tray, and he's going to the vet tomorrow - will
keep you updated.