Update for older cat pooping in house

Old March 14th 07, 09:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Update for older cat pooping in house

Hi everyone,
Well, my mum took him to the vet this morning (I didn't explain in my
couldn't take him - all the info about his condition was actually
relayed to me).

The vet checked his teeth, his temperature, and some other things (mum
couldn't remember), and told us that there's nothing wrong with him!
She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing him
in pain when he urinated. His teeth and temperature are fine.

The explanation for him doing his business indoors and not grooming
himself is that he's quite elderly and can't really be bothered any
more...!

I'm happy about the decision of course, but wonder if there's
something else she should have done..

Thanks
Rachel

Old March 14th 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Yes, the vet should have done blood tests and a urine test. Have your
mom that the cat to another vet.

Old March 14th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,
Well, my mum took him to the vet this morning (I didn't explain in my
couldn't take him - all the info about his condition was actually
relayed to me).

The vet checked his teeth, his temperature, and some other things (mum
couldn't remember), and told us that there's nothing wrong with him!
She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing him
in pain when he urinated. His teeth and temperature are fine.

The explanation for him doing his business indoors and not grooming
himself is that he's quite elderly and can't really be bothered any
more...!

I'm happy about the decision of course, but wonder if there's
something else she should have done..

Thanks
Rachel

You need another vet if your mother correctly relayed this information to
you: " She ruled out a bladder infection, as apparently we'd be hearing him
in pain when he urinated." That is absolutely untrue! Your cat's urine
needs to be tested. You should also request a workup for blood testing.

I am glad you and your mum are taking such an interest in your cat's health.
However, please see another vet because that statement is completely
incorrect.

MaryL

Old March 14th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 14 Mar, 13:03, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Hi MaryL, thanks for your reply.
I'm not happy with the vet's decision, so I've just arranged for him
to see another vet at a different practise. Apparently - I didn't know
this - the vet practise which my mum took him too has a bit of a bad
reputation.

Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it. After sleeping on it, I've
realised that the vet he saw really should have ruled any bladder
infections/liver problems/etc out, by giving him a blood and/or urine
test.

Rachel

Old March 14th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

ups.com...
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Thank you! It is important to check for UTI and begin treatment (if needed)
as soon as possible. UTI can rapidly progress from minimal to critical.
Please keep us updated.

MaryL

Old March 14th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silvercelt

Just to say he is old seems a bit lazy. It might be the case but they
should tests bloods just in case.