sneezing cat, not improving

Old March 16th 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default sneezing cat, not improving

My mom's cat has been to the vet a few times already and will be going
back again this afternoon.

She has been sneezing off and on for the past several months. At
first, it was assumed to be allergies since we were remodeling. Nobody
else was bothered though, just her. It was mostly dry sneezing then,
though her face has been slowing changing color. She is a seal point
siamese, but her cheeks have turned white.

The dusty stage of remodeling is over, and she has a cool air mister
running every day to keep the moisture level higher. She went back to
the vet about a week ago since it seemed worse again. The vet gave her
a shot to see if that would help. I think it was cortizone, but I
didn't write it down. As of yesterday, she was sneezing really wet
and snotty sneezes and her nose is messed up again. The vet had
suggested chlortrimeton, so we managed to get one in her yesterday.
She is very pill resistant, and we had to corner her and wrap her in a
towel. It didn't seem to help at all.

She will be going back to the vet today as this is getting worse. But
I was wondering if anybody has had anything similar happen. Does this
really sound like allergies, or maybe something else? She has never
been given any antibiotics. Her eyes aren't running at all, but does
this sound like a respiratory infection?

Also, any suggestions for a high stress cat and medications? Any time
we have to give her medications, she stops sitting on my mom's lap for
months. I offered to do it for her since I don't care if she likes me
or not. But it has gotten to the point where she won't let me get near
her without being in a sheer panic. When we finally caught her
yesterday, she pooped. And we've barely seen her since then.

She does not eat canned food. She will sometimes lick the juice, but
has never been interested in the food. So, we can't grind up the pills
and put it in food.

Are there any prescription foods that would have the medicines or
supplements in them?

Any suggestions what we should be asking at the vet today?

Old March 16th 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Sinus infection?

Old March 16th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:24:10 GMT, "
wrote:

She will be going back to the vet today as this is getting worse. But
I was wondering if anybody has had anything similar happen. Does this
really sound like allergies, or maybe something else? She has never
been given any antibiotics. Her eyes aren't running at all, but does
this sound like a respiratory infection?

It does sound to me like it could be an upper respiratory infection. Since
she has never been on antibiotics, a course of those might be appropriate.
Make sure to give her the full course, even if her symptoms clear up before
she is done with the medication.

If it does turn out to be a URI and it recurs, post back here again. Post
back anyway, and let us know how she does!

--
Lynne
Old March 16th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Try putting the medicine in tuna water from the can (not the oil). Or
have it compounded into a cat-flavor.

Aren't you in the Puget Sound? There's a compounding pharmacist in
Federal Way that does cat flavors (Family Pharmacy.) Chicken gravy was a
hit here, but we also mixed it with more chicken juice from a cat food can.

Rhonda

Old March 16th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Mar 16, 4:42 am, Lynne wrote:
on Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:24:10 GMT, "

wrote:
She will be going back to the vet today as this is getting worse. But
I was wondering if anybody has had anything similar happen. Does this
really sound like allergies, or maybe something else? She has never
been given any antibiotics. Her eyes aren't running at all, but does
this sound like a respiratory infection?

It does sound to me like it could be an upper respiratory infection. Since
she has never been on antibiotics, a course of those might be appropriate.
Make sure to give her the full course, even if her symptoms clear up before
she is done with the medication.

If it does turn out to be a URI and it recurs, post back here again. Post
back anyway, and let us know how she does!

--

My mom called before going in, and they decided to give her
antibiotics, so she is there now getting them. But they said she

Anyway, first pill should be in the next hour or so.

Old March 16th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Mar 16, 7:33 am, Rhonda wrote:
Try putting the medicine in tuna water from the can (not the oil). Or
have it compounded into a cat-flavor.

Aren't you in the Puget Sound? There's a compounding pharmacist in
Federal Way that does cat flavors (Family Pharmacy.) Chicken gravy was a
hit here, but we also mixed it with more chicken juice from a cat food can.

Thanks. I will let her know and keep that in file for myself as well.
Back when Kira was sick, I had to give her a medicine that is normally
a people medicine. My vet didn't carry it, so I had to get it at
Walgreens, and it was bubblgum flavor. Kira gagged on it many times.
Had I known I could get it in a meat flavor, I would have paid extra
for that.

Fortunately, she was easier to medicate. She argued, and I got bitten
a few times when scraping paste onto her teeth. But she didn't foam at
the mouth, poop when cornered, disappear from sight for hours on end,
or hold a grudge.

My mom has had this cat for almost 2 years now, and any medication
issue and even nail clippings will produce a grudge. It takes months
to get her back to sleeping on her lap.

Old March 17th 07, 08:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silvercelt

Is it just sneezing or any other resp problems, Cats can have asthma.
and allergies, if it is getting worse at this time of year (spring
here) could be allergy

Old March 17th 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Mar 16, 11:46 pm, "silvercelt" wrote:
Is it just sneezing or any other resp problems, Cats can have asthma.
and allergies, if it is getting worse at this time of year (spring
here) could be allergy

It has been off and on over the past year. This is the second time she
has been blowing snot as she sneezes. And her nose is getting red and
raw again.

She did start antibiotics this afternoon, so hopefully, we will see
some improvement soon.

Old March 17th 07, 10:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Mar 16, 3:24�am, "
wrote:
[...]

Our male Yorkie started sneezing very hard, while at the same time
smashing his head against the carpet. It was quite puzzling to watch
until I noticed a small pointed tip of a blade of grass appearing out
of one of his nostrils. I pulled it out and it ended up being a eight
inch piece of saw grass! It went down the hatch but because of the
serrations on the grass, it had no where to go but up and out the
nose. Good thing it didn't decide to go down into the lungs. Maybe
your girl ate some grass for a snack? Kitties will chomp on anything,
you know.. Especially things that are small, sharp and shiny..

IBen Getiner

Old March 18th 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Mar 17, 1:44 am, "IBen Getiner" wrote:
On Mar 16, 3:24?am, "

wrote:
[...]

Yikes. We did have a problem once when a dog got some food stuck in
her throat and started thrashing around.

With Christy, it has been on and off over the past year. And she is
not improving with the medicine, so she will be going back Monday
morning. Her breathing is quite noisy. I'm wondering if she is has
fluid in her lungs. Nothing was found a week ago, but she didn't get
re-examined on Friday.

She seems healthy otherwise, though I did manage to catch her this
evening for her pill, and she doesn't normally let me get close
enough. I knelt down to lok under the table, and she was sitting on
the chair. She saw me and flinched, but did not move quickly enough.

I really hope they can figure it out on Monday. My mom has only had
her a year and a half, and she was estimated at a year old when she
got her. She is a young cat, and should have a long life ahead of
her.

cat sneezing Maxine G Cat health & behaviour 0 October 20th 06 03:14 AM
Sneezing kilikini Cat anecdotes 18 July 22nd 06 05:18 PM
sneezing Duke of URL Cat anecdotes 18 April 11th 05 04:06 PM
Sneezing cat Denise Cat health & behaviour 4 July 10th 04 04:02 AM
sneezing Karen Cat health & behaviour 40 July 3rd 04 11:54 PM