More information on pet food recall (detailed brand names)

Old March 18th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default More information on pet food recall (detailed brand names)

Flippy just posted this information on rpca. I thought some of the readers
on this NG would be interested because it provides far more information than
the official Menu Foods web site.

Here is what Flippy wrote ...

This 15-page PDF file lists every specific recalled food of each brand
including description, best by & production dates, product & UPC codes.
http://www.jmlamoreux.com/message/total.pdf

The information was collated by the owner of a CRF website.

--
MaryL

Old March 20th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
BarB

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:45:39 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

This 15-page PDF file lists every specific recalled food of each brand
including description, best by & production dates, product & UPC codes.
http://www.jmlamoreux.com/message/total.pdf

The information was collated by the owner of a CRF website.

Could you point me to the original CRF website? I can't read this
fine print. Perhaps someone can tell me how to expand it.

I do have some additional info from another list from someone who
did manage to get through to the phone lines at Menu Foods.

She spoke to an individual who works for an external company brought
in to help them deal with all the calls. He said that the list may
not be complete yet, their investigations are ongoing and it is
possible that additional foods or batches may be added to the list.
They hope they have got them all by now but they cannot guarantee it.

He asked that anybody feeding a different batch food who thinks their
cat is affected should contact them ASAP. At the moment, they still
suspect the gluten from the new supplier as the source of the
problem. It has only occurred in foods containing this gluten, and
only in foods containing gluten provided by this new supplier. They
still do not know the exact toxin but again, they are working on it.

There are a lot of sick cats and dogs,and there may be far more
deaths than initially thought. At the moment it appears to me that
Menu Foods is acting responsibly. We will see. Even if the
ingredient coming from their supplier was bad, it was Menu Foods
responsibility to have quality control procedures in place to detect
it.

BarB

Old March 20th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:33:53 GMT, BarB wrote:

At the moment it appears to me that
Menu Foods is acting responsibly. We will see.

I disagree. They haven't been keeping their website updated quickly
enough. CNN reported additional brands before they showed up on Menu
Food's website, with as much as a full day of lag. This is unconscionable
to me.

Even if the
ingredient coming from their supplier was bad, it was Menu Foods
responsibility to have quality control procedures in place to detect
it.

Isn't Menu Foods the supplier of the bad ingredient? I do agree that the
companies who used their product should have testing procedures in place.
Pet food is more profitable than human food. Now I understand why...
cutting corners saves money.

--
Lynne
Old March 20th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Mon 19 Mar 2007 09:56:44p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
om:

Isn't Menu Foods the supplier of the bad ingredient? I do agree
that the companies who used their product should have testing
procedures in place. Pet food is more profitable than human
food. Now I understand why... cutting corners saves money.

Gosh, Lynne, you're my target tonight! LOL Just kidding. Just the
posts that stand out to me.

Menu Foods isn't the supplier of the tainted wheat gluten, if
that's what it turns out to be, which is what they're now thinking.
Menu Foods bought the ingredient from a supplier, which supplied
the same ingredient to others, like Hills and P&G. That's what's
so scary; what other food manufacturer bought this ingredient from
the same supplier? Do they know yet? If they know, have they
disclosed it yet? It seems that the production of pet food must be
like any other industry -- they buy ingredients like some companies
buy parts. They buy meat by-products from one supplier, wheat or
corn gluten from another, vitamin supplements from yet another. It
must be hard to put all of the puzzle pieces together when there's
a problem like this one. Couple that with the fact that store
brand pet food isn't even all manufactured by the same company.
That's why the batch numbers are so important.

--
Cheryl

Old March 20th 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:08:08 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

Gosh, Lynne, you're my target tonight! LOL Just kidding. Just the
posts that stand out to me.

Well since I'm all frazzled about the lost kitten, I'm on a posting
frenzy and welcome the replies!

[...]

Ah, okay. I thought Menu Foods was the supplier of the bad wheat gluten
to the food manufactueres. So crap, then it's even scarier than I
thought!

What about dry foods? Why aren't they impacted? I have this nagging
fear in the back of my mind that they will announce that dry foods are
also a problem... Probably just paranoia, but I'm still concerned.

--
Lynne
Old March 20th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Mon 19 Mar 2007 10:18:41p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
om:

What about dry foods? Why aren't they impacted? I have this
nagging fear in the back of my mind that they will announce that
dry foods are also a problem... Probably just paranoia, but I'm
still concerned.

Same here. I read an article that I don't even want to post here.
Some of what is being reported is started to verge on media panic.
They do have a way of inducing it. What everyone needs to do is
monitor their pets health. There are specific symptoms; some
animals might be more suceptible than others, as all bodies are
different in how they metabolize foods or toxins. Vomiting and
lethargy should be red flag signs. There should be no "I can't
afford the vet right now" excuses. I don't know how a vet can test
for this latest tainted food issue, but if there are multiple pets
in the house, I wouldn't wait for more than one of them to have
symptoms before I acted.

--
Cheryl

Old March 20th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:38:53 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

Same here. I read an article that I don't even want to post here.
Some of what is being reported is started to verge on media panic.
They do have a way of inducing it. What everyone needs to do is
monitor their pets health. There are specific symptoms; some
animals might be more suceptible than others, as all bodies are
different in how they metabolize foods or toxins. Vomiting and
lethargy should be red flag signs. There should be no "I can't
afford the vet right now" excuses. I don't know how a vet can test
for this latest tainted food issue, but if there are multiple pets
in the house, I wouldn't wait for more than one of them to have
symptoms before I acted.

That's the best advice possible for this situation.

--
Lynne
Old March 20th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

. earthlink.net...
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

[...]

I really don't think Menu Foods has been acting responsibly. They delayed
several days making the report public, and their list is woefully
inadequate. By contrast, the list at the site I posted is 15 pages in
length and includes batch numbers and other information.

When you view the list of recalled foods onscreen, you will be using Adobe
Reader. Go to the top of the screen and look for the zoom tool. It will
look like a magnifying glass with a "plus" sign in the center. Click on
that, then go to the page you want to read and click on that. Each click
will increase the font size until you get it to the size you prefer. You
can do the same thing by looking at the box (top of screen) that shows a
percentage. Use the plus or minus signs to to increase or decrease the font
size.

MaryL

Old March 20th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

I think a lot of people are being a bit frantic right now regarding the
recall. I think plenty of vets are getting calls from worried humans whose
cats may or may not have eaten the affected foods. The food my cats get Blue
Buffalo isn't on the recall list and they aren't affiliated with Menu Foods
which is the distributor to many of the brands listed. I think the
interesting side effect to this whole mess is people will start reading
ingredients and really look at the healthier brands.

Blue Buffalo is probably the healthiest food I've seen next to actually
cooking it yourself. There's no corn, wheat or soy and the food is on a
human grade level. The meats they use is the free range stuff so it isn't
injected with hormones and best of all the cat food actually has cranberries
in it for the urinary tract health. I switched to it because one of my cats
had a UTI while another had weight and hairball issues. It's certainly
helped in those situations and at least my cats are eating healthy.

I think this incident is probably going to convince people to finally look
at other brands they wouldn't otherwise give a second glance to. I'm sure it
won't hurt their profits.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
m...

Old March 20th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Iams and Eukanuba from what I understand pulled their foods as a precaution.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"~ narnia ~" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Petfooddirect.com has this on their website regarding dry foods:

Iams and Eukanuba "dry" products are not manufactured at Menu Foods
and not affected by this issue.

~ narnia ~