Going mad with persistant weeing in the house

Old March 20th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Irwin

Default Going mad with persistant weeing in the house

We have two cats, the eldest will be one year old in May and is the
problem cat. The other has never been any trouble. The eldest will wee
every morning without fail in the house, usually the same spot, but
has been know on occassion to wee and poo on the sofa or our beds.
They have use of a cat flap and a big garden.

It's now come to closing all bedroom doors and covering both sofas
with dust sheets. She still wees on the floor - same spot most of the
time. What we have tried so far:

- litter tray back in the house - won't use it even though she did
when she was a kitten
- 'get away' spray - might as well wee on the floor myself
- orange, chopped in half and rubbed on the areas she pees on
- placing food bowls in the areas she normally pees in (after we've
cleaned it obviously)
- now I've taken to picking her up and pointing her head close to the
puddle - she knows what it is as she puts her paws out - and then she
is placed outside, and the cat flap is locked for 10 - 30mins

History

we got her first, the other cat came along 3 months after. It's not
behavioural in terms of the other cat, they get on very well, and they
both learnt in the litter tray, and both learnt to pee outside. The
problem cat did take to occassionally peeing my favourite large pot
plant, that died and was removed. About 4/5 months ago she took to
peeing the house every day at least once a day. There is another large
tom cat nearby who bullies both cats, but that doesn't stop the good
cat from peeing outside.

Apart from the above we're at a complete loss as to what to do and
would appreciate some help/advice/ideas. Basically, if it continues
for another two weeks they both will be locked out at night and will
have to sleep in the shed, and so will I as the girlfriend won't be
best pleased!

Many thanks

Irwin

Old March 20th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I echo what Momo said. Has this cat been to the vet?

Some other questions: are both cats spayed/neutered? If not, they can
and will mark their territory both indoors and out.

How many litterboxes do you have? Ideally, you should have 3 (the rate
is the number of boxes times how many cats you have plus one) in
different locations. What type of litter do you use? It's possible
that since they go outside that they might not like the feel of the
litter--try adding some sand or potting soil in with the litter to
make it feel more like the outdoors. (or do they even have to go
outside. If a tom is bullying them that's probably causing extra
stress and making a bad sitation worse.)