Emails from Purina and PetsMart

Old March 25th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped

Default Emails from Purina and PetsMart

I got this email from Purina regarding the pet food recall. I've
corresponded with Purina in the past about their formula for Fancy Feast, so
I am on their mailing list, but others here may not have seen this.

An Update from Nestle Purina PetCare Company About the Menu Foods Recall -
March 23, 2007

We at Nestle Purina PetCare Company know the reports of pet food
recalls and withdrawals over the past week have been very
concerning and at times confusing for pet owners, who want to
ensure the safety of the food they are feeding their beloved pets.

We want to take this opportunity to reassure you that Mighty Dog
pouch products are the ONLY Purina(r) brand products affected by
Menu Foods' recall. Nestle Purina stands behind the high-quality
of our pet foods, and all Purina brand cat food products and all
other Purina brand dog food products, including Mighty Dog
canned products, can continue to be fed to your pets with
complete confidence.

On Friday, March 16, Nestle Purina PetCare issued its press
release announcing the voluntary withdrawal of our Mighty Dog(r)
brand pouch-packaged products that were produced by Menu Foods
from Dec. 3, 2006, through March 14, 2007. While we had no
indication of any product quality or safety issues specifically
related to our Mighty Dog pouch products at that time, we are
proactively withdrawing these products as a precautionary
measure, because the well-being of pets and the safety and
efficacy of our products are our top priorities.

Click below to view the Press Release:
http://updates.purina.com/T2RT022656...CCD1AC58AD2150

We also want to apologize for any difficulty you may have had in
reaching us by phone this week. While we have dedicated numerous
additional phone lines, people and other resources exclusively
for this purpose, we understand that the volume of calls still
has occasionally exceeded our system capacity.

We have prepared some Frequently Asked Questions that may be
helpful to your understanding of this situation, and we will
update these questions as more information becomes available. If
you have other questions or concerns, please continue to call
our Office of Consumer Affairs directly at 1-800-551-7392.

Click below to view the Frequently Asked Questions:

http://updates.purina.com/T2RT022656...CCD1AC58AD2150

Dear Valued PetSmart customer:

As you have probably heard, Menu Foods, a national manufacturer of pet
foods, issued a voluntary recall of canned and pouched wet dog and cat food
manufactured in two of its facilities between December 2006 and March 2007.
Again, this is a recall of a specific type of wet pet food made by Menu
Foods. Other wet pet foods and all dry pet food and treats are not impacted
by this recall.

Menu Foods initiated the recall after receiving reports that some of its
foods may be the cause of reported illnesses and kidney failure in dogs and
cats. Menu Foods distributes these products to supermarkets, mass
merchandisers and pet specialty stores, including PetSmart®, under a variety
of brand names.

Click here to see a complete list
http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/04QvxzGM0LfKq02HkX of PetSmart products
that are part of the recall, as well as their respective UPCs (also referred
to as the bar code). The bar code can be found on the product label; the UPC
is under the series of bars. As a reminder, the items listed are the only
items that PetSmart carries that have been affected by the recall.

In the meantime, we have pulled all recalled products from our store shelves
and have a process in place to help ensure they're not restocked or
distributed in any way.

If you have purchased any of the recalled items, you should discontinue use
immediately. We recommend you contact your vet if you have any concerns that
your pet may have been affected. Symptoms may include:

1. Vomiting (this is usually the first sign)
2. Refusal to eat
3. Fatigue
4. Abnormal increase in water consumption
5. Abnormal increase in urination

If you're interested in finding out more about what kinds of tests vets
recommend to make a diagnosis, click here
http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/04WvxzGM07fKq0ZHkX .

Additionally, if you are looking for a recommendation for your unique pet
food needs, please visit our Smart Nutrition Selector
http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/04DvxzGM0XfKq04zR3 on our website. Or, if
you need additional assistance while in the store, feel free to ask an
associate. If you know of any other pet parents that are in search of more
information, please share this with them.

If you have food that is a part of the recall, you can bring it back to
PetSmart for a complete refund. Or, we'll exchange your items with any dry
food or alternative canned or foiled pouched wet foods that we have in
stock.

Please remember, this recall affects only specific wet pet food items. All
dry pet food and treats are not impacted by this recall.
We also encourage customers with concerns or questions to contact any of the
companies listed below:

Authority - 1-866-738-7375
Award - 1-866-738-7375

Eukanuba - 1-800-882-1591 (www.eukanuba.com
http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/046vxzGM0mfKq0bHkX ) Grreat Choice -
1-866-738-7375 Hills/Science Diet - 1-800-445-5777 (www.hillspet.com
http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/04FvxzGM0sfKq04HkX ) Iams - 1-800-882-1591
(www.iams.com http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/04dvxzGM08fKq0QHkX ) Menu
Foods - 1-866-463-6738 (www.menufoods.com
http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/04XvxzGM0zfKq0RHkX ) Mighty Dog -
1-800-778-7462 (www.purina.com
http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/04ZvxzGM0DfKq0pHkX ) Mixables -
1-303-768-8400 (www.varietypetfoods.com
http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/043vxzGM0NfKq05HkX ) Nutro - 1-800-833-5330
(www.nutroproducts.com http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/04vvxzGM0tfKq0SHkX )
Sophisticat - 1-866-738-7375

At PetSmart, we're very concerned pet parents too, and we will do everything
in our power to help. Please visit PetSmart.com
http://l.petsmart-mail.com/l/r/04vvxzGM09fKq0yHkX for the most up-to-date
information. If you have any additional questions about the Menu Foods
recall, please call our Customer Service line at 1-866-738-7375.

Sincerely,

Philip L. Francis

Chairman & CEO, PetSmart, Inc.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Forward emails Matthew Cat anecdotes 0 September 27th 06 03:42 AM
Update on Spam (the cat not the emails) Glitter Ninja Cat health & behaviour 9 February 13th 06 03:47 AM
Update on Spam (the cat not the emails) ---MIKE--- Cat health & behaviour 1 February 10th 06 11:48 PM
Microsoft Emails OT Bev Cat anecdotes 18 September 22nd 03 04:20 AM
My emails... MacCandace Cat health & behaviour 2 August 30th 03 03:28 AM