Cat has a foot fettish ??? :)

Old April 2nd 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
J&T

Default Cat has a foot fettish ??? :)

Got a ragdoll X cat, beautiful girl she is, but she has a wierd problem..

She wont let me pat her at all with my hands, if I put my hands anywhere
near her she runs off, but if I try and scratch her with my feet, she
LOVES it ! will let me do anything to her with my feet

Sometimes if im very slow she will let me use my hands for a bit, but she
soon runs off..

Anyone know what could be going on here ? id love to be able to pat her
properly now and then

Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

Old April 2nd 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

How long ago did you get her?

She might be scared of how you are trying to pet her. She might have had a
bad experience. You might be acting aggressive in her mind. You said it
your self if you are slow. I will bet her breeder would snatch the cats up
instead of being a gentle handler.

Try sitting on the floor. take a treat she likes hold it in your hand. Let
her come to you. You can tempt her by tossing a treat to her than closer
and closer till she is eating out of your hand. This situation sounds like
a matter of trust and patience on your behalf. By the way congratulations
on becoming a cat slave. Welcome to the Union with special benefits

Old April 3rd 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
J&T

hehe cat slave is right we have 3 all up

We have had her for about a year now.. and she is still the same, better
than she was if only a little bit.

We got her as a kitten and she has always been like this, I hope whoever we
got her off didnt mistreat her or anything to give her this fear of hands..

Will try out the treat idea ! didnt think of that.
Cheers.

Old April 3rd 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"J&T" wrote in message
Got a ragdoll X cat, beautiful girl she is, but she has a wierd
problem..

She wont let me pat her at all with my hands, if I put my hands anywhere
near her she runs off, but if I try and scratch her with my feet, she
LOVES it ! will let me do anything to her with my feet

Sometimes if im very slow she will let me use my hands for a bit, but she
soon runs off..

Anyone know what could be going on here ? id love to be able to pat her
properly now and then

Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

My cat Fluffernutter also had a foot fetish. He wasn't wild about being pet
with a hand but could not resist a wiggling toe. He would come over ever
time I'd wiggle my toes and start head butting my foot. I was able to handle
him but he preferred feet. Have no clue why. I just figured he was a silly
bugger. We adopted him when he was 1 1/2 yr. old so I don't know if there
was some reason for his preference or if it was just his thing.

Old April 3rd 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 2 Apr, 22:39, "J&T" wrote:
Got a ragdoll X cat, beautiful girl she is, but she has a wierd problem..

She wont let me pat her at all with my hands, if I put my hands anywhere
near her she runs off, but if I try and scratch her with my feet, she
LOVES it ! will let me do anything to her with my feet

Sometimes if im very slow she will let me use my hands for a bit, but she
soon runs off..

Anyone know what could be going on here ? id love to be able to pat her
properly now and then

Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

I used to breed Ragdolls, & what you say does sound very unusual
indeed. Normally Rag's love to be petted, so it sounds like your babe
has had a very bad experience with someone in the past.

You need her to get to trust you by the sound of it.
Both Wendy & Mathew have given you excellent advice. It is going to
take time, but if you can get her to associate your hand with good
experience's. The obvious attraction is food. If you can get her to
associate your hand with nice things, then she will allow you to pet
her in the end.

Start trying with allowing her to smell your hand first with food type
smells on them @ first, then offer food from your hand. If possible
always leave your hands in front of her too so that she can see that
you are allowing her to let you know when it is ok to pet her..
In time she will learn that you mean well and don't want to treat her
like she has been in the past...

I have only ever had one Ragdoll that acted like you describe & I got
him from a rescue centre. He wouldn't even allow me near him. He his
under my bed literally for about 10 days, only coming out for food,
water and litter when he "had to", then dived back under there as soon
as he had finished again. Every single night I used to try calling him
out when all of the kids were in bed, & eventually after a week, he
started to edge closer and closer to my hand . After 2weeks, he
started to trust me and by the end of 3 weeks, he slept on the bed,
rather than under it..

Three years later, I have problems getting him off my lap rather than
on it.

I think the bottom line here sounds like a trust issue.. As long as
she knows that you are allowing her to take control for the moment,
then eventually you will reap the rewards that you sow, I'm certain of
it.
Good Luck
S;o)

Old April 4th 07, 10:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Apr 2, 5:39�pm, "J&T" wrote:
Got a ragdoll X cat, * beautiful girl she is, *but she has a wierd problem..

She wont let me pat her at all with my hands, *if I put my hands anywhere
near her she runs off, *but if I try and scratch her with my feet, *she
LOVES it ! *will let me do anything to her with my feet

Sometimes if im very slow she will let me use my hands for a bit, *but she
soon runs off..

Anyone know what could be going on here ? *id love to be able to pat her
properly now and then

Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

Sounds like it's you with the foot-fetish. She won't allow you to
touch her because she's apparently afraid (for what insidious reason,
I can only guess). But your feet probably stink, which is why she
allows you to do it that way. Cats have this funny thing about giving
and receiving odors. Don't ask me what it is. The jury's still out on
that one. But apparently she likes your stink, Personal preferences
are just that, and cannot always be explained. More than likely, you
just THINK that you're scratching her, when all the while she's just
scent-marking you.
Good luck with your foot problem, JT. That was a funny story.

IBen Getiner

Old April 4th 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Apr 2, 5:47�pm, "Matthew" wrote:
How long ago did you get her?

She might be scared of how you are trying to pet her. She might have had a
bad experience. *You might be acting aggressive in her mind.

Bingo. See.........?

IBen Getiner

Old April 7th 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
J&T

Yea I have foot problem ? whatever.. she does it with anyone, clean,
socks on, anything.. just runs from hands. And I know the difference
between them scenting something and wanting a pat.

Thanks for the other "helpful" replies all ! will try all that

The food one is actually starting to work already !

Cheers.

"IBen Getiner" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old April 7th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On Apr 2, 5:39?pm, "J&T" wrote:

[...]

I'm really pleased to hear that you are getting somewhere. It can be
frustrating trying to get a cat to understand that all you want to do
is love them, when they have trust issues. Keep up the brilliant work
& happy slave hood.
It would be really nice if you pop back now and again, to let us know
how your both doing?
Thanks
S;o)

Old April 8th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
J&T

Will do wont be touching that unsubscribe button as this seems like
quite a good group for cat info

Thanks again.

10 foot radius Bridget Cat anecdotes 8 September 18th 05 07:16 PM
broken foot miss_erin via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 2 September 10th 05 06:17 PM
Problem With Cat Foot JINGLES Cat health & behaviour 8 September 3rd 05 12:09 AM
Foot stomping bigbadbarry Cat health & behaviour 3 June 5th 05 01:13 AM
Bonnie - Foot Dance Bev Cat anecdotes 5 January 10th 04 04:54 AM