THIS SAD STORY REACHED THE UK

Old April 9th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default THIS SAD STORY REACHED THE UK

A Human shelter burned down last night in Florida, USA.

It is a Tragic story, & I hoped that by posting it, that some of us
might be moved enough to help them in some small way if you can...?

I found it horrifying & such a terrible shame too...
( VIEWER DISCRETION)
S.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/11576949/detail.html

Old April 9th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 9 Apr, 14:13, "sheelagh" wrote:
A Human shelter burned down last night in Florida, USA.

It is a Tragic story, & I hoped that by posting it, that some of us
might be moved enough to help them in some small way if you can...?

I found it horrifying & such a terrible shame too...
( VIEWER DISCRETION)
S.http://www.news4jax.com/news/11576949/detail.html

I SHOULD have added that there was no need to watch the Video link to
this story too.
You can simply read about it if you wish to .

It breaks my heart to think of such a horrendous thing happening, but
I guess any shelter is just as susceptible as any home would be. The
difference being that we can do more to help ourselves, where the poor
animals couldn't.
I hoped that by posting this, we might reach deep or suggest it to
others if they ask about where to donate towards. It seems a very
worthy cause.
S.

Old April 10th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 9 Apr, 14:33, "sheelagh" wrote:
On 9 Apr, 14:13, "sheelagh" wrote:

[...]

I am not sure but was this not the same fire which happened a few
months ago? I seem to remember there being a fire in a shelter in
florida and a number of cats and puppies being killed in it, hope it
is the same one as i hate to think that another one has burned down
and more poor animals were killed in such frightening and horrific
circumstances.
I also hate to think of the terror those poor animals must have gone
through and the distress the tragedy will have caused those surviving.
i suppose what they need now are homes for the survivors so hopefully
the news will bring people to the shelter and get them thinking about
giving one of the animals a new proper home.

it is times like these that i will i was some multi-millionaire who
could do something practical like build a huge big shelter for them
all, like a big house with lots of proper comfy places for the cats to
snooze and old sofas for the dogs to sleep after they have been out
playing in a massive garden, and employ lots of people to look after
them and care for them and give the cats cuddles whenever they need
them and play with the dogs lots (stuff like frisbee and catch and
chase and 'stick' which involves basically waving a stick around for
the dogs to grab and run around with but which dogs seem to enjoy so
much).

why do rich people have to spend their money on private jets and big
yachts and **** like that? why can't they spend it on building nice
homes for dogs and cats and making sure they are well looked after and
loved? that would be so much better than lyign on the deck of some
yacht getting sunburnt and bored out of your mind. Why don't rich
people do something useful and constructive with their cash (like
paying a couple of thugs to go and beat the living **** out of those
vicious little ****s who shot at Ringo and the other cats)?

i get so frustrated with the world at times, life seems just so unfair

bookie

Old April 10th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 10 Apr, 01:29, "bookie" wrote:
On 9 Apr, 14:33, "sheelagh" wrote:

On 9 Apr, 14:13, "sheelagh" wrote:

[...]

bookie- Hide quoted text -

No Bookie, I went back to the story to check it & it is telling me
that it happened last night & also that 70 cats died & also over 11
puppy's too...

Here is the latest link to the story for you to check the details...&
it is definately the 9th of April 07.
Thankfully most of the dogs got out because their housing was @ the
back of the building & they are still roaming and being picked up. It
really is such a sad story & one can't help but wonder if it was arson
if you are telling me that it happened there recently before this
incident?
This one was in a place called Jacksonville, does that sound familiar
to you?
I have a feeling that it is ion Florida?
Perhaps Matthew knows about this one?

( they were micro chipped, so that is how they are identifying which
ones were from the society that are still on the loose.)

Strange that everyone is passing this post.
It makes me feel like I have said/done something..?!!

I thought that it might touch a few hearts. If that had happened to
our Wood Green shelter, I would have expected locals to have an
interest in it....

I'm hoping that someone will explain if I have hit a sore point(
It is a bit like noticing an RSPCA Building going up in smoke.
I was touched by the locals that offered what assistance they could

It certainly was not intended as a troll posting...
That would be a sick thing to do!!!

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGB4A9KCA0F.html

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradent...s/17051859.htm

it is times like these that i will i was some multi-millionaire who
could do something practical like build a huge big shelter for them
all, like a big house with lots of proper comfy places for the cats to
snooze and old sofas for the dogs to sleep after they have been out
playing in a massive garden, and employ lots of people to look after
them and care for them and give the cats cuddles whenever they need
them and play with the dogs lots (stuff like frisbee and catch and
chase and 'stick' which involves basically waving a stick around for
the dogs to grab and run around with but which dogs seem to enjoy so
much).

I couldn't agree more with you.

S.

Old April 10th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Apr 9, 9:13?am, "sheelagh" wrote:
A Humane shelter burned down last night in Florida, USA.

It is a Tragic story, & I hoped that by posting it, that some of us
might be moved enough to help them in some small way if you can...?

I found it horrifying & such a terrible shame too...
( VIEWER DISCRETION)
S.http://www.news4jax.com/news/11576949/detail.html

Who really cares? I mean after all, what are we talking about here...?
The lives of a few stray dogs and cats.. I only care about MY dogs and
MY cat. I don't much give a hoot about what happens to other folk's.
That's their lookout.

IBen Getiner

Old April 10th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 10 Apr, 04:00, "IBen Getiner" wrote:
On Apr 9, 9:13?am, "sheelagh" wrote:

A Humane shelter burned down last night in Florida, USA.

It is a Tragic story, & I hoped that by posting it, that some of us
might be moved enough to help them in some small way if you can...?

I found it horrifying & such a terrible shame too...
( VIEWER DISCRETION)
S.http://www.news4jax.com/news/11576949/detail.html

Who really cares? I mean after all, what are we talking about here...?
The lives of a few stray dogs and cats.. I only care about MY dogs and
MY cat. I don't much give a hoot about what happens to other folk's.
That's their lookout.

IBen Getiner

Don't you think that is rather selfish of you?

How would you feel if your home burnt down and most of the the animal
residents in it too?
Wouldn't you want someone to care for you?
S;o)

Old April 10th 07, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Apr 9, 11:55?pm, "sheelagh" wrote:
On 10 Apr, 04:00, "IBen Getiner" wrote:

On Apr 9, 9:13?am, "sheelagh" wrote:

A Humane shelter burned down last night in Florida, USA.

It is a Tragic story, & I hoped that by posting it, that some of us
might be moved enough to help them in some small way if you can...?

I found it horrifying & such a terrible shame too...
( VIEWER DISCRETION)
S.http://www.news4jax.com/news/11576949/detail.html

Who really cares? I mean after all, what are we talking about here...?
The lives of a few stray dogs and cats.. I only care about MY dogs and
MY cat. I don't much give a hoot about what happens to other folk's.
That's their lookout.

IBen Getiner

Don't you think that is rather selfish of you?

I think I made myself perfectly clear.

How would you feel if your home burnt down and most of the the animal
residents in it too?

Like I said, I would care very deeply if they were my personal
animals.

Wouldn't you want someone to care for you?
S;o)- Hide quoted text -

No. I can take care of myself. Me and Mrs.Getiner do just fine without
having to go thru the degrading experience of accepting charity from
total strangers. We don't need anyone's help and what's more... we
don't want it. These people down there... they can slug it out on
their own or they can just call it quits and go belly-up. It makes
little difference to me one way or the other. It's not my problem.
It was however, a nice thought. And it was nice of you to think it. I
just don't share your empthy. That's all. Let them beg and plead if
they want help from the outside.. Let them fend for themselves like I
have always done. I simply do not care what becomes of them.

IBen Getiner

Old April 10th 07, 08:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Meghan Noecker

Last December, we had a huge power outage for several days. During the
first night, there were several fires from candles. One lady had two
kids, and they thought the candles were all out. They were just those
little tea candles, and they were in metal cans. But 2 hours after
they went to bed, the house caught fire.

They were able to escape, but they lost all 13 cats and 2 dogs. The
power was out. It was dark. And it took 20 minutes for the fire
department to find a route that worked since there were trees down all
over the place.

I cannot imagine losing so many animals at once. I struggle everytime
I lose just one.

Old April 10th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 10 Apr, 08:28, "IBen Getiner" wrote:
[...]

IBen Getiner- Hide quoted text -

Oh boy you must have had a harsh up bringing...

No. I can take care of myself. Me and Mrs.Getiner do just fine without
having to go thru the degrading experience of accepting charity from
total strangers. We don't need anyone's help and what's more... we
don't want it.

I take your point, but do you think that all of the Americans who
lived through floods last year, or the people that have their homes
torn away by tornadoes *wanted charity or sympathy*?

Or do you think that they were grateful that it was there when they
needed it...?
I don't want charity either, but it doesn't mean to say that I don't
empathise with those that do need assistance @ times of tragedy &
hardship.
( the parable about the strangers crossing the road rather than
helping the man in need comes to mind)

These people down there... they can slug it out on
their own or they can just call it quits and go belly-up. It makes
little difference to me one way or the other. It's not my problem.

Not today maybe, but are you certain that disaster will never knock on
your door?
You sound rather like Mr Bush, telling the rest of the world that
there is no global warming...!!
I wouldn't wish any sort of tragedy even on my worst enemy..But this
is the sort of thing that could happen to any one @ any time.
Open thine eye's I say!

It was however, a nice thought. And it was nice of you to think it.
just don't share your empathy. That's all. Let them beg and plead if
they want help from the outside.. Let them fend for themselves like I
have always done. I simply do not care what becomes of them.

I thought so too, but it does appear that I am in a minority here.
It wasn't particularly the people that worride me. More the
defenseless animals that had no choice but to go through this. I know
that most of the dogs got out, & it is shelter for them that the
money is needed for...

I hoped by posting it here, that if people came asking where to donate
money to, that they *might* consider this appeal.
The problem is that there are so many worthy causes that even if you
do have the money to spare, which worthy cause do you choose?
I take your point, but I don't agree with you.

The one good thing about posting here, is that we are all entitled to
an opinion, & God knows that we all express it too....
The trick is not to get too het up & go into over boil & also to
respect the other posters viewpoint
S;o)

Old April 10th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 10 Apr, 08:45, Meghan Noecker wrote:
Last December, we had a huge power outage for several days. During the
first night, there were several fires from candles. One lady had two
kids, and they thought the candles were all out. They were just those
little tea candles, and they were in metal cans. But 2 hours after
they went to bed, the house caught fire.

They were able to escape, but they lost all 13 cats and 2 dogs. The
power was out. It was dark. And it took 20 minutes for the fire
department to find a route that worked since there were trees down all
over the place.

I cannot imagine losing so many animals at once. I struggle everytime
I lose just one.

That sounds terrible...!!

Only a few weeks ago we were discussing the idea of putting stickers
and posts up in our windows to alert The Fire Brigade to the fact that
there are animals in our houses.

I am not trying to suggest that we should ask the Brigade to rescue
our pets first,... more that if there is a reasonable chance that they
can be saved, that we wish them to try to without endangering their
lives of course...

I have only seen one such story personally. It was a family of with 2
kids and 2 dogs.
Father came home, got a bit peckish( hungry), left the chip pan on &
it boiled over setting light to the house whilst he fell asleep in
front of the T.V. Father died, & so did the dogs, as they were all
down stairs..
But mother threw her sons out the window and jumped after them. Very
tragic, & certainly not something you ever expect to happen to you, is
it?

And your right. Even one cat is enough to mourn, never mind multiple
cases

S.

cat story foo Cat health & behaviour 0 June 26th 06 02:32 PM
my story bob Cat anecdotes 2 October 8th 05 04:47 PM
my story bob Cat health & behaviour 0 October 8th 05 10:35 AM
RB Kitty story invite (Rocky's Story" reposted - Longish) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 2 July 15th 05 07:14 AM
I Have a Story... Sherry Cat anecdotes 9 March 29th 04 05:19 PM