Liver

Old April 15th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey Weinberger

Default Liver

Hi,

My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't better
and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped throwing
up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The vet found
none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to bring him back
today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up liquid this morning
at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays showed nothing but the
blood work showed his liver values were 194. They were 81 in September. I
forgot to ask how bad this might be. Julian got more sub-q fluids and a
prescription of SAMe. The vet said if he didn't start eating by Monday to
bring him back in for an IV.

Julian hasn't thrown up any more but he is still lethargic. I'm worried
that he is dying. Does anyone know what a liver value of 194 means? Does a
cat have a chance of recovering from that? This vet is very good and I
trust him. If Julian were very bad off he would have kept him there.

Thanks,

Stacey

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.

-- Emerson

Old April 15th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Stacey Weinberger" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

----------
I don't know too much about this, but not too long ago, another person
posted that his cat needed dental work done and the liver enzymes had
skyrocketed. Someone else posted that if a cat hasn't eaten in a day or two,
the cat can start to develop hepatic acidosis due to fatty liver, which will
cause the liver enzymes to go way up. The theory in the case of the other
poster's cat was that the cat wasn't eating because his teeth hurt. The
result was that the vet rehydrated the cat with subcu fluids and did the
dental work, and then the cat was eating soft foods and was presumably fine.
I don't know if any of this applies to your cat, but I just thought I would
pass it along.
Purrs for Julian's complete recovery.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old April 15th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matilda

"Stacey Weinberger" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,

My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't better
and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped throwing
up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The vet found
none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to bring him
back today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up liquid this
morning at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays showed nothing
but the blood work showed his liver values were 194. They were 81 in
September. I forgot to ask how bad this might be.

You forgot to ask?? Oh my....................

So why don't you pick up the phone, call the vet and ask??

Old April 15th 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey Weinberger

Hi,

My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't better
and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped
throwing up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The
vet found none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to
bring him back today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up
liquid this morning at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays
showed nothing but the blood work showed his liver values were 194. They
were 81 in September. I forgot to ask how bad this might be.

You forgot to ask?? Oh my....................

I thought I had asked everything. I was in a little bit of a shock and
forgot this.

So why don't you pick up the phone, call the vet and ask??

Because it's 10:30 at night and the office is closed.

I'm not a negligent pet owner. I take very good care of my cats and don't
worry how much it will cost. Sometimes a person forgets to ask some thing.

Old April 15th 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey Weinberger

[...]

Thank you very much! Julian's teeth are fine. The vet throught he might
have eaten something that caused this. He does "graze" in the flower boxes
on the deck with no problem. I'm wondering if a stray weed got in there and
he ate part of it. I pulled up any suspicious plants after we got home. I
did bring up fatty liver disease with the vet. That was why I brought
Julian in on Friday and didn't wait to see if he would get better.

Stacey

Old April 15th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tara Legale

Hasn't all these food recalls been tied to liver problems and liver failure?

Old April 15th 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey Weinberger

Julian doesn't get any of those foods. He is on a grain-free diet because
he can't tolerate them.

Old April 15th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

[...]

-----------
I wasn't really thinking so much that there was something wrong with
Julian's teeth (although that was the issue for the other poster). I think I
was mostly focused on your statement that you were afraid that Julian was
dying. What I was really trying to say (in a roundabout way) was "Hey, look,
this other person's cat also had elevated liver enzymes, and once the
problem was discovered and the cat had adequate fluid support and started to
eat again, he turned out fine." So, please think positive because there is
every reason to hope that Julian will have a similar happy outcome. Please
keep us posted.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old April 15th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Tara Legale" wrote in message
Hasn't all these food recalls been tied to liver problems and liver
failure?

--------
I thought the recalled foods were about acute kidney failure.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old April 15th 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey Weinberger

[...]

Oh I see! Thank you! Thank you very much for your support and not accusing
me of being a bad pet owner. He got fluids at the vet yesterday and today.
I've been giving him some chicken broth in an eye dropper and slippery elm
syrup from Anitra Frazer's New Natual Cat Book. Thank you for your concern.
I'll let you know what happens.

Stacey