Hills tested ingredients

Old April 20th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default Hills tested ingredients

From an email I received (not sure how I got on Hill's mail list to vets,
though). I just noticed this email as it went to my unmonitored email
account:

Dear Valued Partner,

April 18, 2007– Update: Hill’s products not affected by rice protein
concentrate recall.

On April 17 the FDA announced a further pet food recall associated with
melamine contaminant, reportedly from a supplier of rice protein
concentrate. No Hill’s products are affected by this recall.

While Hill’s uses rice protein concentrate in 4 of its products, we do
not use the supplier involved with the recall.

Hill’s has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is
present in the rice protein concentrate that it uses.

Q. Do any Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. products contain rice protein
concentrate?
A. Yes. Four Hill’s products contain rice protein concentrate; however,
none contain rice protein concentrate from the supplier associated with
this recent recall.

The four Hill’s products that contain rice protein concentrate AND ARE
NOT affected by recent recall announcements:

Prescription Diet ® z/d® Feline Dry
Prescription Diet ® k/d® Canine canned
Science Diet® Lamb Meal and Rice Recipe Puppy Large Breed
Prescription Diet® h/d® Canine Dry
Hill’s has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is
present in the rice protein concentrate used in our products.

Q. How do you know Hill’s rice protein concentrate is safe?
A. Upon immediately learning about the presence of melamine in another
supplier’s rice protein concentrate, we tested our ingredients and have
confirmed that the rice protein concentrate ingredient from Hill’s
suppliers do not contain melamine.

Q. Where does Hill’s Pet Nutrition Inc. get its rice protein concentrate?
A. Hill’s uses two suppliers, neither of which are involved in this rice
protein concentrate recall.

Q. What is rice protein concentrate, and why is it used in pet food?
A. Rice protein concentrate is the product remaining after starch has
been washed away from rice. It is a commonly used protein ingredient in
various pet food products.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
Old April 21st 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:08:35 -0500, Lynne wrote:

From an email I received (not sure how I got on Hill's mail list to vets,
[...]

But, their senior food contains corn gluten which has been discussed here
also. sigh

Patty
Old April 21st 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:56:43 UTC, Patty wrote:

But, their senior food contains corn gluten which has been discussed here
also. sigh

It might just be that the corn gluten problem is localized to South
Africa and Namibia. Look he

s/Jerry

--
My cat and I are very much alike: we're both gray, we're both fat,
and we both dig in his litter box.

Old April 23rd 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:36:10 GMT, wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:56:43 UTC, Patty wrote:

But, their senior food contains corn gluten which has been discussed here
also. sigh

It might just be that the corn gluten problem is localized to South
Africa and Namibia. Look he

s/Jerry

I sure hope so. I mix a bit of the Hills senior canned food in with my
kitty's NF (kidney diet) food just so he'll eat it a bit better.

Thanks!

Patty
Old April 24th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

wrote:

But, their senior food contains corn gluten which has been
discussed here also. sigh

It might just be that the corn gluten problem is localized to
South Africa and Namibia. Look he

s/Jerry

An email from Hill's in reply to my inquiry about corn gluten in
their foods:

---- begin C&P ----
Please do not respond to this e-mail. This is a general response
for information only regarding the ingredient, corn gluten. If
your email contained questions on another topic, we will be
responding to your email separately within a couple of weeks.

First, thank you for contacting Hill’s Pet Nutrition Consumer
Affairs Office.

On April 19, 2007, a press release was issued announcing a
competitor’s pet food which was being recalled from the market in
South Africa due to a corn gluten ingredient believed to be
contaminated with a foreign matter, melamine. This competitor’s
corn gluten ingredient was sourced from China.

We would like to assure you that this news story does not affect
any of Hill’s® pet food products. Hill’s corn gluten meal is
sourced locally from corn suppliers located in the USA.

Corn gluten meal is the protein portion of corn remaining after
removal of bran and starch. It is an excellent source of high
quality vegetable protein used in both human and pet food.

For latest information on topics of interest, please continue to
view our website at HillsPet.com.
---- End C&P ----

I will take their word for it. I wish they'd announce that they are
testing their foods, though.

Thanks, Cheryl. Much appreciated.

Patty